Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Apexi Vs Typhoon

ses6jwg

and isnt cleaning it cheaper than having to replace it? and if one has better filtering how is this manifested?and dont they both go black after a year?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• Theorist

• Norfolk n Chance

• phoenixz

lol

I changed from Typhoon to Apexi because

1. I wanted a change

2. More room to fit a oil catch can

And i'm glad I did. The brackets on the Apexi are far more better than the single Typhoon one, which normally snaps. Overall as said before Apexi wins overall for me, every one has their own oppinion so go for what you fancy bro

:thumbsup:

Really you should make a custom system that fits your car perfectly, with great air flow, low maintenance and strong brackets seeming as they are the issues raised. If you want something to be perfect then find a way of making it yourself to your spec rather than trusting someone else to do it.

Because they both have their advantages and disadvantages over each other it's up to you to decided what weighs more against something else.

There are often heated debates about these two and by using the search function your would have stumbled across loads of them.

I went for my GREEN filter not because it was low maintenance, or easy to fit, or amazing at filtration; I chose it because it looked feckin' awesome in green! :P

Really you should make a custom system that fits your car perfectly, with great air flow, low maintenance and strong brackets seeming as they are the issues raised. If you want something to be perfect then find a way of making it yourself to your spec rather than trusting someone else to do it.

Because they both have their advantages and disadvantages over each other it's up to you to decided what weighs more against something else.

There are often heated debates about these two and by using the search function your would have stumbled across loads of them.

I went for my GREEN filter not because it was low maintenance, or easy to fit, or amazing at filtration; I chose it because it looked %$(in' awesome in green! :P

ok, i was with you 100% until the last part. "I chose it because it looked %$(in' awesome in green!"

just...

just... oh dear! oh dear!

you picked a mod for your car because it was pretty! ...oh dear!

it's not even a mod that people are going to see.

i'm thinking of going for the Typhoon, but i have one last question before i do. surely the designers at Toyota put the heat shield in for a reason. was this a necessity because of an accountants decision to put in a cheaper intake or will there be any adverse effects after replacing it?

Phoenixz

after 20 mins or so of driving the typhoon pipe feels warm to touch so there must be some heat soak?? however if performance is lost from this its not noticable and over all the car feels better with the typhoon .its easier to stay in lift and revs seem to pick up quicker/better response.

Check this link: Filter test

Looks like the Apexi is the clear winner!

However, I can't help thinking that technically a proper closed Cold Air Intake like the pipercross Viper or Venom, or K&N Apollo makes more sense if you are after bHp improvement.

An Open Filter in the engine bay( like the K&N Typhoon) sounds great for sure, but it must suck in a lot of hot air!

But perhaps the improved sound is more noticable than the potential bHP improvement of the proper CAI?

Standard intake tract can be fine, all the best intakes for Honda VTEC motors use the standard intake inc Mugen

Indeed they do, one of the best designed kits for the k20 motor use the gruppe m housing but use the original rubber hoses.

:thumbsup:

Yup GruppeM is the other one

The intake tract is tuned, a lot of thought goes into it, something to do with resonance and the speed of air going through it and heat, I cant remember the details but they are important, replacing it with a metal pipe isnt always a good thing

I went for my GREEN filter not because it was low maintenance, or easy to fit, or amazing at filtration; I chose it because it looked %$(in' awesome in green! :P

ok, i was with you 100% until the last part. "I chose it because it looked %$(in' awesome in green!"

just...

just... oh dear! oh dear!

you picked a mod for your car because it was pretty! ...oh dear!

it's not even a mod that people are going to see.

i'm thinking of going for the Typhoon, but i have one last question before i do. surely the designers at Toyota put the heat shield in for a reason. was this a necessity because of an accountants decision to put in a cheaper intake or will there be any adverse effects after replacing it?

Phoenixz

:lol: Well it's not strictly true, I did buy it for better filtration, but I bought it over any other because of the striking colour. :thumbsup:

It's a mod that people will see at a cruise or show when I do eventually get it to that standard. :yes:

Phoenixz

Heat shield???

Now you've lost me.... what heat shield?

Many heatshields should be left in place, but I have to ask this: "What the hell are you on about!? There is no heatshield for the filter.... or do you mean the airbox?"

:huh:

the air box for the filter partly acts as a heat shield. that is indeed what i meant, but i apologise for the confusion.

Phoenixz

the air box for the filter partly acts as a heat shield. that is indeed what i meant, but i apologise for the confusion.

Phoenixz

i knew what you meant .

Phoenixz

i knew what you meant .

Yeah yeah :P

Phoenixz

i knew what you meant .

*cough*rubbish!*cough* ;)

Now I understand, nah it's a matter of being cheap and just standard if you get what I mean. Makes it easier than having to get machines to make things that are totally different and reprogram them for what would essentially be a short production line....

Yes it does act as one but there is nothing stopping you from buying a universal shield and making it fit. Jono (now left the forum) had one fitted to his IIRC. :thumbsup:

Edited by Norfolk n Chance
Check your language KP!!

whats the difference between typhoon kit and the 57i kit?

and also can anyone recommend an air induction kit for my 2003 1.4 vvt-i toyota corolla

Thanks!

But it's my favourite word Gaz! :(

Sorry! :blush:

At least I got the spelling right.... :mellow:

It'a all being noted... just wait until JAE! :P

More abuse! Mods! Mods!! ooh er......

Looks like I'm gonna be busy.... errm got a lot of engine stuff to do.... (you buyin' this) :lol:

I shall take you all on if need be, I have been known to take a good battering. :D

Hi, I like the sound of the Apexi as am not to keen on extending the maf cables could someone post a part number up and possibly a pic of it installed?

I looked on nengun and they didnt seem to have the apexi for an 02 T sport. does anyone know the part number for it?

4158_80178568677_681843677_1731101_4622603_n.jpg

4158_80178533677_681843677_1731096_4575146_n.jpg

4158_80178543677_681843677_1731098_4771944_n.jpg

4158_80178523677_681843677_1731095_6113178_n.jpg

(engine bay has been cleaned since this photo!! :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links