Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leasing V Purchase

rangermastiffs

Have considered this before but did not follow it through.

Anyone done this and / or have an opinion ?

It looks to me that if you keep your car for a while (more than 5 years ) buying may be best but if you change every 2 / 3 years leasing may appeal to you.

SHOCK - HORROR :eek:

Ravs are for life!

How could you even think this?? :censor: :censor:

It looks to me that if you keep your car for a while (more than 5 years ) buying may be best but if you change every 2 / 3 years leasing may appeal to you.

IMHO you have to consider that most vehicles take the biggest depreciation hit in the first three years. Ergo, if you change with that frequency you are always covering the bulk of the depreciation personally. The dealers love that as they can still sell your vehicle on at a tidy profit after trade in. Have just completed purchase of wife's Golf at end of three years. Using Parker's guide I reckon we are circa £2.5K up after taking interest charges and extended warranty into account [when compared to trading in against a new car]

The advantage of lease purchase options is that you can offload at the end of the term if the vehicle does not come up to expectations [or you just want to 'keep up with the Jones'] :thumbsup:

IMHO you have to consider that most vehicles take the biggest depreciation hit in the first three years. Ergo, if you change with that frequency you are always covering the bulk of the depreciation personally. The dealers love that as they can still sell your vehicle on at a tidy profit after trade in. Have just completed purchase of wife's Golf at end of three years. Using Parker's guide I reckon we are circa £2.5K up after taking interest charges and extended warranty into account [when compared to trading in against a new car]

The advantage of lease purchase options is that you can offload at the end of the term if the vehicle does not come up to expectations [or you just want to 'keep up with the Jones'] :thumbsup:

I am the last person to advise on financial matters but when we looked into leasing cabs as opposed to purchasing them, I seem to remember there were Tax advantages to leasing but only made sense if you were VAT registered, which most of us are not.. I am sure their must be members on here who could advise better than I can, although getting independant financial advice without somebody trying to sell you something you either don't need or cannot afford is virtually impossible :unsure: Stew