Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full Face Transplant Man Reveals His New Look On Tv

Raistlin

_48490620_009866743-1.jpg

A Spanish man who underwent the world's first full face transplant has revealed his new look before TV cameras.

The 31-year-old thanked his donor's family and the medics that gave him a new face in March at Vall d'Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona.

A shooting accident meant his entire facial skin and muscles - including nose and lips - needed replacing.

Doctors say he can expect to regain up to 90% of his facial functions.

He had been left unable to breathe, swallow, or talk properly after an accident five years ago.

Now the man, identified only as Oscar, still struggles to speak with clarity and will need months of physical therapy.

He told the news conference: "Friends, I want to thank the hospital coordinators, the entire medical team, the family of the donor and most of all my family who are supporting me these days."

Oscar was considered for a full face transplant after nine previous operations failed. A team of 30 experts carried out the 24-hour long operation on 20 March at the hospital in Barcelona.

Led by Dr JP Barret, the team transplanted muscles, nose, lips, maxilla, palate, all teeth, cheekbones, and the mandible by means of plastic surgery and micro-neurovascular reconstructive surgery techniques.

It was the first full face transplant performed worldwide, as the 10 operations performed previously had been only partial.

The first successful face transplant was performed in France in 2005 on Isabelle Dinoire, a 38-year-old woman who had been mauled by her dog.

How surgeons rebuilt a patient's face _48490719_4a6ac441-cf96-4153-aa3b-5fbad7c56716.jpg

Patient lost jaw, nose and other parts of his face in shooting accident.

Donor's facial skin, muscles, nose, cheekbones, teeth and jawbone used to rebuild patient's face. Metal plates used to support new facial structure, which included reconstructing the roof of the mouth.

Donor's nerves, blood vessels and skin connected to patient. Patient will have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life.

It will be alright once his beard has grown thumbsup.gif

It will be alright once his beard has grown thumbsup.gif

Covers a multitude of sins :thumbsup: Nobody said the donor was male :eek: Now that is an interesting thought :g: Would it be possible & would it grow a beard? :blink:

Hormone treatment

But would that work ? :unsure: Hoormoans are what you hear in a House of Ill Repute :rolleyes: . Raists? :eek:

While he is at it he should get a pair of glasses........The poor man is crosseyed :rolleyes:

While he is at it he should get a pair of glasses........The poor man is crosseyed :rolleyes:

Oscar or Raistlin ? I would suspect the latter :lol2:

I thought his name was Isiah,

As one eye's higher than the other...

I thought his name was Isiah,

As one eye's higher than the other...

It is wrong to mock the afflicted :ffs: :bash: Still, fair is fair :rolleyes: ...........I mock you on a daily basis :hokus-pokus: :alucard: :lol2:

It's what you live for,

Without my daily quips and quick wit to brighten your life it would be less than bearable and jaded... hang.gif

It's what you live for,

Without my daily quips and quick wit to brighten your life it would be less than bearable and jaded... hang.gif

Right back atcha! :lol:

It's what you live for,

Right back atcha! laugh.gif

With a quality barb like that I am mortally wounded... Not :D

It's what you live for,

Right back atcha! laugh.gif

With a quality barb like that I am mortally wounded... Not :D

Standard tactics, my friend :ph34r: Lull you into a false sense of security, then strike :sneaky2::death:

Consider more than lulled...

In fact I am so lulled that someone thought I was suffering from Narcolepsy yawn.gif

Consider more than lulled...

In fact I am so lulled that someone thought I was suffering from Narcolepsy yawn.gif

The answer to all our prayers :yahoo:

There is a God, & his name ISN'T Raist! :fishyface:

Raistlin is not the name I chose to be worshipped by cool.gif

Raistlin is not the name I chose to be worshipped by cool.gif

Lucifer? Baal? Beezlebub ? :D

Ok! I know that it's Beelzebub, but one Sunday in Church, back in the days when I went :( , a Lay person was reading the Lesson & that is how she pronounced it. :blink: I could never get it out of my head. :wacko:

Sorry, Raist, I know that you won't understand all that, but we are broadminded & will give you exemption :hokus-pokus: If you set foot inside a Church or Synagogue, there would be a blinding flash & a pile of soot on the ground , for some unfortunate to clean up :crybaby:

That would never happen, I am part of Gods own...

Can't say that I would be please with the results.... and I agree with your first comment Vic. :yes:

Such a shame, but if that were me I would much rather take part in voluntary euthanasia.... :unsure:

I just couldn't imagine living like that. :no:

Thanks for the agreement, Kynan :thumbsup: given in spite of the insults I hurl at you :lol: All in the best possible taste, of course, and no malice intended :thumbsup:

Voluntary Euthanasia, I agree with :yes: I don't want to end up being kept alive by artificial means, when in the natural course of events I should be dead :yes: I've a dread of ending up like a Zombie & in nappies :disgust: Haven't we all ?

As opposed to a zombie in stretch plastic...

vic_12802473831.jpg

You'll have to re-adjust that, Raist :lol:

I've already got several socks "stuffed", so no room for the Nappy :D

:yahoo: More free advertising, fame & notoriety :eek: I won't be able to venture out without being besieged by fans & Paparazzi :bag:

Or the womens group against pervs from the local church laugh.gif