Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 99 1.3 Starter Motor

Crempog

Sorry to be a bit of Klutz concerning these things but my trusted V reg Corolla has gone for years without being a problem so I haven't had to learn much - until now. I understand it is a 4E-FE engine with about 70K on the clock. Occasionally the first key turn starts the starter motor then no problem However, increasingly there is just a dull klanky sound and it may take up to 5 key turns to get the engine going. Any suggestions as to there the main problem might be please? I have the Hayes Manual for the car and it says the starter motor is somewhere near the air filter mechanism. I have dismantled this but there is nothing around there that looks like a starter motor. Am I looking in the wrong place and, if so, what does the starter motor housing look like please? I would happily buy a beer or 6 for the best answer!!

Still finding my way around Toyotas but,from what I have read,the fault lies in a electrcal switch attatched to the back of the ignition barrel.Seems relatively easy to change(drop column shroud and 2 screws hold the switch on).Must do mine eventually too as my 2000 Corolla does the same thing.You may have noticed that the hotter the weather the worse the problem is,too.Hope this helps and if I'm right I'll let you know what beer I drink :D

Still finding my way around Toyotas but,from what I have read,the fault lies in a electrcal switch attatched to the back of the ignition barrel.Seems relatively easy to change(drop column shroud and 2 screws hold the switch on).Must do mine eventually too as my 2000 Corolla does the same thing.You may have noticed that the hotter the weather the worse the problem is,too.Hope this helps and if I'm right I'll let you know what beer I drink :D

Thanks for suggestion. Had not thought of that. If it is not .... I still don't know where the starter motor is on this engine!! What beer you drink?

Not sure where starter motor is myself yet, :D .Will have to have a good luck and get myself a manual too :)