Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Fault

woodie

2004 1.9 D4D. I recently had clutch & flywheel peplaced by dealer after 85K miles @ cost €2000. I was later told that this is a fault in 4 out of 10 of these cars. I am enquiring if anybody has got compensation from Toyota for this fault as once was enough to buy it?.

PS. I had previously driven peugeot 405 1.9 D for 250K miles with no clutch problem!

I've got a 2007 2.0 D4D at 28K miles where the clutch and flywheel are being replaced under warranty after I luckily questioned a vibration that only showed up when the engine idled at 800rpm.

Seems Dual Mass Flywheel failures are all too common. What i want to know is why it failed and if the new one will also fail well before i'd like it to.

You were lucky to get it done under warranty. I am not a techie but i was told the new replacement is a different design and will not fail like before (hopefully). There must be alot of people like me who have had to pay for a faulty clutch outside of warranty- noy fair

I gave a poor girl on their services desk a hard time this afternoon wanting to know if the new DMF they will fit will be a improved and more reliable design. why has the current one failed, and is there another problem which is showing its self by taking out the DMF first.

They must hate people who can use Google.

I guess its worth saying that they are replacing it now while the only symptom is a rattle at 800rpm and not hoping to string me along for a few more months till the warranty expires then happily charge me £1500-odd to replace it when it gets worse.

Given what some Googling on DMF failures seems to suggest, the auto industry would appear to be keeping a lid on this as best they can. the majority of failures are outside of warranty and the poor owner is left footing a big old bill. there also seems to be a move away from using a dmf to protect the gearbox, and instead protect it using the engine management system to limit the torque in low gears.

Like you say, hopefully the new one won't fail, but it is worrying me. should i swap to another car before this replacement DMF starts to go and threatens a big dent the household budget.