Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Lag?

robin4456

I have a Avensis Tourer 2007 2.2 180 bhp which has done 92k It peforms well apart from low revs when it does not pull well. seems flat and then suddenly kicks in. Is this a problem with this model? Turbo lag? It is due for a servive in 2000 miles .

I have a 2006 T180 saloon.

Whilst I know the turbo starts kicking in around 1800rpm, I recently had a major problem with a blocked EGR & inlet manifold that it sits on. The first symptom was loss of most of the power under 1800rpm - as soon as I cleaned it and removed certain fuses to reset the ECU the power under 1800rpm was immediuately restored.

Please see my previous posts re this matter - it is only my opinion.

I`m curious when your EGR valve assembly was last cleaned out although I understand there is a modified EGR valve & you may have this fitted

I have a 2006 T180 saloon.

Whilst I know the turbo starts kicking in around 1800rpm, I recently had a major problem with a blocked EGR & inlet manifold that it sits on. The first symptom was loss of most of the power under 1800rpm - as soon as I cleaned it and removed certain fuses to reset the ECU the power under 1800rpm was immediuately restored.

Please see my previous posts re this matter - it is only my opinion.

I`m curious when your EGR valve assembly was last cleaned out although I understand there is a modified EGR valve & you may have this fitted

Many thanks for your responce but you are dealing with an idiot here! what is an EGR? I guess the ECU is the engine managment computer This is certainly something I wouldn't tackle myself but it would be helpful to point my local garage in the right direction

Many thanks for your responce but you are dealing with an idiot here! what is an EGR? I guess the ECU is the engine managment computer This is certainly something I wouldn't tackle myself but it would be helpful to point my local garage in the right direction

EGR is the exhaust gas recirc valve. Its fairly easy to look at, only 4 nuts and 2 bolts to take off. There is a great blow by blow post here: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241 that describes what to do and has pics of the T180 engine. If nothing else its worth a read.

Many thanks to both of you.

The pictures were so clear I had a go at cleaning the EGR. I couldn't figure how to undo the wiring block but managed to lift the unit high enough to clean it out and suction the carbon away. You were quite right only the main slot in the midle was clear both side holes blocked.Immediate inprovement now hoping the fuel consumption will get better.

Its been maindealer serviced from new but no record of this being carried out, I'll do this every year from now on.

Incidently in the first thread it was mentioned that fuses had to be reset in the ECU, is this becase the unit was disconected on the electic block? If so I glad I didn't unplug it.

Again thanks

If you had have unclipped the wiring near the EGR valve you would have found the job a bit easier. From memory, I think you just squeeze the clip together to unclip it.

My initial EGR Valve clean was just a quick clean so I didn`t bother to take out the 2 ? fuses (EFI & one other ?). I decided to do it again (properly) the week later when I also took the required fuses out for 15 mins.

What worried my about my engine was the fact that I had owned the car for 18 months yet never heard or smelt the car go through a Regeneration Cycle (where basically the 5th injector squirts diesel in to burn the excess carbon). I`m now suspecting that some of the narrow vacuum pipes that lead to the sensor involved with the cycle are also blocked with soot. I think the sensor involved is that one with two narrow guage pipes attached to it on the bulkhead right at the back of the engine.

By the way, the EGR is SUPPOSED to self-clean and I presume that`s why it is not done on a service (it really should be)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links