Do Not Sell My Personal Information

20,000 Service Cost

AygoIronman

when i bought the car it had 4.000 miles on the clock as i drive over 20.000 miles a year i have to have the car serviced every 6 months the guy who had it before me had it serviced every year and toyota have a record of the service history they said it would be the cars 4th service the car as been well looked after by the last owner and i just want to do the same .

Are you serious? Under 13,000 miles, and you`re on youre 4th service?

The Aygo only neds a service every 10k or so...

The service regieme is 10K (miles) or 12 months - perfectly possible that an Aygo may cover such low mileage in its life.

The Aygo only neds a service every 10k or so...

The service regieme is 10K (miles) or 12 months - perfectly possible that an Aygo may cover such low mileage in its life.

Or 12 months ....... Exactly.

I've no doubt our Aygo will have done less than 5k before the first service is due , galls me sometimes that after 3 years we are having the 27k service done with less than 10k on the clock, but it's. "or 12 months" ....

• 3 weeks later...

My car was in yesterday for its 20k service.....total bill all included was £168.04. Quite happy with that.

i went in to my toyota garage yesterday and asked how much to get my aygo serviced and they said 136 pound for its 4th service on my 07 aygo i thought that was cheap its only done under 13.ooo miles .

The Aygo only neds a service every 10k or so. So what service have you had done on your car then?

Mine just had its second service, only 5800 miles on it, but 2 years old now.

edit: The original quote was just over £200, but I had the Toyota Service contract that I bought when I got the car.

I have just bought an Aygo (2006 20,000) and traded in my old Focus (2005 80,000 miles over 4 years)I do most of my servicing myself with the focus, including oil change, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter every 10k miles sparks plugs ever 30k miles brake fluid ever 20k. Brake pads as and when i needed them and discs once during the time.(AND IM NOT A MECHANIC) (All of this stuff for the focus cost under £80 a time). for any additional stuff i wasnt comfortable with on the servicing requirements i just got local independent garage to do like timing belt etc on major service.

I can guarantee that you could all do these things with only 4 tools and an hour to spare! I kept all reciepts and used genuine parts always when i had a problem with power steering pump once (under warranty) Arnold C raised the question and i took the folder with all the servicing I had done myself to them and they never questioned anything.

My focus passed 3 MOTs first time and never had any problems other then the power steering pump that they fixed! When i part exchanged at AC I bet they stamp up the service book!

Anyways, the moral of the story is not that im so brilliant... its that you can with a bit of sare time do these things and they are so so so easy and save a fortune, and it helps when you know your own car, know whats been done and that you have done it carfully and used the best parts you can. It does no harm to get under your car once in a while and check for leaks, blowing exhaust, liquid where it shouldnt be etc etc and it might mean any nasty repairs waiting around the corner might not come as a surprise to you.

Hope this helps, it would be great if any qualified mechanic on here could give us a wee run down of the service requirements (intervals) and maybee a guide to the basics and how to do to back me up.

Thanks

Alex

"AND IM NOT A MECHANIC"

Nor am I which is why I pay someone to do it for me! If you aren't bothered about the stamp in the book National Autocentres will do an oil change for about £20 with the correct grade oil - at that price even DIY makes no sense.

"AND IM NOT A MECHANIC"

Nor am I which is why I pay someone to do it for me! If you aren't bothered about the stamp in the book National Autocentres will do an oil change for about £20 with the correct grade oil - at that price even DIY makes no sense.

may be the correct grade of oil,but what quality at £20.

"AND IM NOT A MECHANIC"

Any1 else think acetip has missed the point? Im not a chef but i can still make toast and beans nor a gardener but can still mow the lawn.

Also, im not interested in stamps just in making sure i meet the servie requirements at the intervals and if i learn a little more about the car along the way then even better.

And they must be using tesco value vegetable oil at that price cos i can barely do an oil change at cos with decent stuff.

Alex

The thing with National is that you're never quite sure how they will get the job done. You don't know what they might knick/damage/screw up without you knowing and then the fun really starts when the errant warning illuminates or you find the A/C no longer works -coincidence? Perhaps. But why put yourself into a Lions den for the sake of a couple of quid?

With the advent of oil extraction pumps, like the Pela, changing the oil/filter is clean and easy. Very little mess and you save yourself a heap of hassle.

I know many will say national do a good job; good for you I say, but having had a bad experience (or two) myself - no thanks, I'll stick with DIY thanks.

"AND IM NOT A MECHANIC"

Any1 else think acetip has missed the point? Im not a chef but i can still make toast and beans nor a gardener but can still mow the lawn.

Also, im not interested in stamps just in making sure i meet the servie requirements at the intervals and if i learn a little more about the car along the way then even better.

And they must be using tesco value vegetable oil at that price cos i can barely do an oil change at cos with decent stuff.

Alex

thats what i am getting at.to do an oil change for £20 and making a profit,the quality of the oil they use must be suspect.if you want it done properly,do it yourself.

in USA there are lots of these fast lube sites.problem thats been found is when a women takes her car in,they are only topping up the oil,but charging for full oil change and filter at some of these sites.

"AND IM NOT A MECHANIC"

Alex

thats what i am getting at.to do an oil change for £20 and making a profit,the quality of the oil they use must be suspect.if you want it done properly,do it yourself.

in USA there are lots of these fast lube sites.problem thats been found is when a women takes her car in,they are only topping up the oil,but charging for full oil change and filter at some of these sites.

Ah got you sorry i mis-understood you. We have the same here, garages must make a fortune by telling folk a load of rubbish. I once changed the front brake pads and on the way home from work my wife heard a griding noise so she stoped at quick fit and they said she needed new pads front a back and gave her a quote.

When she showed me it I gave them hell because the front ones were barely a week old, their defence was that it was best to change all four wheels brake pads at the same time - what a load of bull. They are cowboys!

Alex

just had my 30,000 mile service done on my blue and the 1st MOT at same time.

I 'allegedly' had a 15% discount and still ended up paying £200! (aaprox £155 service/ £45 MOT)

fortunately all fine with MOT but had a concern over front tyres and brake pads/ discs as 'advisory' that all need replaced soon - 25,000 miles (just hit that mileage this very week!) for discs/ pads seems not too great for a small car and the front tyres have already been replaced ie this will be the 3rd front pair (originals, 1st replacement set, soon to be replacement set which seems mad for a small car!)

any thoughts folks?

cheers in advance

I have just bought an Aygo (2006 20,000) and... I do most of my servicing

myself... (AND IM NOT A MECHANIC)

Alex

That's great - saving money on the face of it... but anyone with an Aygo

less than three years old (or less than five years old if they bought it

more recently) would invalidate their Toyota warranty.

Toyota stamps in the service book will also increase the re-sale value of the

car as well as making it easier to sell - so self-service maybe a false economy.

According to the invoices the previous owner of ours paid £109 for the 1st year service and £191 for the 2nd, both at toyota