Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Five-Year-Old Boy Wins Defamation Case Against Lidl

Raistlin

_48514071_000411071-1.jpg

A five-year-old Irish boy who was wrongly accused of stealing a bag of crisps has won 7,500 euros damages for defamation of character.

The case, reported in the Irish Times on Wednesday, concerned Tadhg Mooney from Balbriggan in County Dublin.

The court heard he was in a local branch of Lidl with his mother in June 2009 when a shop assistant grabbed his arm and made the accusation.

His barrister told the court her client had suffered injury to his reputation.

She added that, Tadhg, now aged six, had also been caused to suffer distress and inconvenience.

The Circuit Civil Court also heard that the action of the shop assistant in grabbing the boy's arm amounted to false imprisonment and assault.

The barrister told the judge, Mr Justice Matthew Deery, that she was recommending acceptance by the court of a settlement offer of 7,500 euros and costs by Lidl Ireland Ltd.

Mr Justice Deery approved the offer.

On Wednesday, the family's lawyer Dermot McNamara told the AFP wire service that Tadhg's mother had shown a receipt for the bag of crisps to the store.

However, he said the shop manager failed to take her concerns seriously, causing her to take legal proceedings against the firm for slander, for false imprisonment, assault and negligence.

"We managed to settle it over negotiations lasting for a month or two," Mr McNamara said.

:eek: I was there only 1/2 an hour ago, but I got away with it :lol: You can't expect a 5 year old to have my expertise :yahoo:

It is actually my Supermarket, & I probably know the family :yes:

eek.gif I was there only 1/2 an hour ago, but I got away with it laugh.gif You can't expect a 5 year old to have my expertise yahoo.gif

It is actually my Supermarket, & I probably know the family yes.gif

Are they all dodgy in you town...

Crisp stealer's, ATM villains and cheese abusers eek.gif

eek.gif I was there only 1/2 an hour ago, but I got away with it laugh.gif You can't expect a 5 year old to have my expertise yahoo.gif

It is actually my Supermarket, & I probably know the family yes.gif

Are they all dodgy in you town...

Crisp stealer's, ATM villains and cheese abusers eek.gif

Same as any town :lol: The good, like me ...... and the rest :yahoo:

In Raist's town there is just a small pub and a few sheep in the field opposite.

You've been there then thumbsup.gif

He has & he told me that you may full use of both facilities :sneaky2: :lol2:

Only after a session in the pub thumbsup.gif

Wot I said! :yahoo: Though I know you meant something that "may not speak its name" :blushing:

You've heard of Lambing helpsmilie.gif

If it's worthwhile & free, you're into it :eek:

In Raist's town there is just a small pub and a few sheep in the field opposite.

Just a few sheep?............We who work in Wales are used to fields full of the furry lil friends :naughty:

We don't seem to have the same appetites as you guys... eek.gif

Some are men..........others only boys ;)

And the poor innocent sheep run like hell from both :crybaby:

Experience teaches tough lessons :lol:

I live in Cheshire................but have my passport stamped daily on the journey to Wales, I'm only an honourary sheep s*****r ........Raist has the Golden Member Badge ;)

I live in Cheshire................but have my passport stamped daily on the journey to Wales, I'm only an honourary sheep s*****r ........Raist has the Golden Member Badge ;)

I've heard of "Gold Finger" but didn't realise he had a Gold Member :eek:

We might get a few bob for that from the crowd on Tele, who advertise that they buy scrap gold :unsure:

We might have to send a cheap magnifying glass with it, though :lol2:

This forum does not have Gold Members any more...

Just supporters that pay subscriptions thumbsup.gif... Sometimes :D

This forum does not have Gold Members any more...

Just supporters that pay subscriptions thumbsup.gif... Sometimes :D

Pay attention at the back, please :bash: We were referring to the Sheep Sh...er's Association :eek: of which you are Grand Master :king: Membership fee = 5 nubile lambs, sex irrelevant :naughty:

You're for the Chop giljotiini.gif

Too late, already done, read back to the Jewish/Catholic reference some thread ago! :lol: