Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Cylinder Head Gasket

paris the yaris

Hi

I have fallen foul of the cylinder head gasket fault which seems to be quite common on D4d Yaris early models. I may attempt to DIY it, having done this type of thing in my early motoring days, prior to things like overhead cams, common rail and ECUs. I could use some advice on the pitfalls and things like torque wrench settings or even a workshop manual.

I also wonder if there is any point in contacting Toyota as this seems to be a design fault, has anybody had any success previously ?

I doubt the car would be covered by the Toyota warranty esp if it's an early model.

Then again you could allways ring them to ask if the head gasket fails because of a design defect. You never know, they may offer to repair it at a discount but i doubt they would do it for free.

Personally i would contact them and ask if they could do anything and also to get a repair price. If you can do it yourself, all the better!

Good luck.

Hi

I could use some advice on the pitfalls and things like torque wrench settings or even a workshop manual.

There is no manual for a diesel but all the details are available for download for a fee..

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/SearchPublication.aspx?TYPE=RM

I also wonder if there is any point in contacting Toyota as this seems to be a design fault, has anybody had any success previously ?

Toyota did replace HGs foc under warranty as it is a known fault.. so ask nicely...

Thanks for your advice, I've had some other leads - sourced a manual on cd rom from E-bay, unsure as to how good it will be and autodata suggest that it is a 6 hour job, also skimming is about £35 + vat. I may also do the download from your link any idea which files I will need?

• Like 1

Just a quick update,for those who are interested, the manual cd rom is good value at £3.90, its a genuine toyota copy (knock off I suspect) once I found the files I needed and printed them I was away, so far so good, still some work left to remove the head.

The manual identifies head gaskets of differing thicknesses, I will probably use one from a motor factors whatever the thickness. Again I could use some advice if anybody out there has done this job for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

A post script to the head gasket replacement. I have yet to establish the cause of these failures it seems that the engines used in the BMW mini suffered from the same fault. My local Toyota dealer parts man had never had to order a gasket, and there is no modification or superseded part number, I note from a previous contributor to these fourums that there is a list of engine numbers affected by this fault, so what was the cause and solution I ask ?.

The job took me more than the suggested 6 hours working on my driveway, the tools required were basic (sockets, spanners etc). I stripped off all the bolt on bits and the timing chain cover etc, I was able to remove the head with the exhaust manifold and turbo still attached.

I then had difficulty removing the injectors and glow plugs from the head, which then cost me extra at the machine shop, 2 of the glow plugs were drilled out and helicoiled and the valves were removed whilst the skimming was done then put back after (I dont have access to a valve spring compressor) so extra costs were incurred for the work.

I established the correct thickness gasket and got one from europarts along with the rest of the gaskets and new glow plugs, after reassembly the engine wouldn't start !!!!! but a leak off test on the injectors showed that the machine shop had damaged one whist trying to remove it from the head, so more expense in getting them sorted.

For reasons of domestic harmony, I wont reveal the total cost of the parts and services for this job, but I am afraid it snowballed as these things often do, however my labour is free.

If anybody wants advice on this job prior to having a go themselves I am happy to help contact me on jbrowning22@hotmail.com

I now look forward to about 100,000 trouble free miles

P-T-Y

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi everybody.

I have the same problem too on my yaris 4D4.

I can't find the manuals on eBay or on the link posted.

Can someone help me on this please?

Regards.

Repair manuals available from www.toyota-tech.eu for a small charge

Thanks for the quick replay.

Do you know if the eBay CD still for selle?

Any idea where to buy the complete kit to service the head (gaskets and seals)?

Regards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links