Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whirring Noise

Bong Water

Toyota Corolla T-Sport 2005 47K miles full Toyota history

When driving normally in 30 zones I notice a whirring noise in 3rd gear, its around 2krpm and its quite noticable and then it goes away as the revs climb, it almost sounds electrical but its not because everythings off and it can be heard mostly when the windows are all shut

It also does in 2nd but only slightly, not as much as third

It could be totally normal and i'm not used to it as i've not had a Toyota before especially as the car is a mint full history example etc

If anyone is out and about today please could you close all windows, turn evrything off and in third at 2krpm could you let me know if you hear a whirring noise please? Just to see if it is normal, or if you have already noticed it and its normal let me know anyway

Thanks

Toyota Corolla T-Sport 2005 47K miles full Toyota history

When driving normally in 30 zones I notice a whirring noise in 3rd gear, its around 2krpm and its quite noticable and then it goes away as the revs climb, it almost sounds electrical but its not because everythings off and it can be heard mostly when the windows are all shut

It also does in 2nd but only slightly, not as much as third

It could be totally normal and i'm not used to it as i've not had a Toyota before especially as the car is a mint full history example etc

If anyone is out and about today please could you close all windows, turn evrything off and in third at 2krpm could you let me know if you hear a whirring noise please? Just to see if it is normal, or if you have already noticed it and its normal let me know anyway

Thanks

Sorry mate, i only change into 3d gear at around 8krpm, i only experience 2krpm in 1st gear lol yes.gif

There must be no traffice where you live then, can you only post if you have something helpful related to the OP thanks

I think this is just me not used to the car, just been out in it and had my first proper blast on my favourite road, had a right blast its been a year since i've driven a quick car properly really enjoyed it.

In my experiance any gear box issues the sound gets worse as the revs climb, with this noise its barely audible below 2k rpm as soon as I go over 2k rpm it dissapears. You wouldnt even notice it if you werent looking for it as to make it audible you have to hold it in 3rd gear at 2k rpm, touch the throttle and it goes away instantly

I think its just the way the car sounds and i'm not used to it

I think this is just me not used to the car, just been out in it and had my first proper blast on my favourite road, had a right blast its been a year since i've driven a quick car properly really enjoyed it.

In my experiance any gear box issues the sound gets worse as the revs climb, with this noise its barely audible below 2k rpm as soon as I go over 2k rpm it dissapears. You wouldnt even notice it if you werent looking for it as to make it audible you have to hold it in 3rd gear at 2k rpm, touch the throttle and it goes away instantly

I think its just the way the car sounds and i'm not used to it

Just out of interest, is it decelleration noise your talking about that goes away when you accelerate?. Note that we all our t sports have pretty noisy decelleration, its to do with the aluminium gearbox apparently. Its also more noticable when the gearbox is warmed up, not so much when cold. Its not just in 3rd though, I hear it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th around those speeds - sounds more metallic than electrical.

My 2002 was just as noisy as my 2005, made it a little quieter by changing the gearbox oil to a quality one.

It sounds a bit like that but to hear it you have to hold it at 2k rpm so its not decelleration but it does sound similar, next time you're out in your car hold it in third at 2k rpm and let me know what you can hear please, to hold it at that you are only just touching the accelerater which is probably why no one would ever really notice it

You can hardly it and then at 2k it sounds the loudest and as soon as it goes over 2k it dissapears

After googling "Toyota gearbox whine" It would seem its really common after reading plenty of discussions such as this one for example

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12096&p=148800

Thinking back my parents old paseo used to do it too

I'll just get the fluid changed on the next service as its probably never been done, i'm just not used to it as i've owned a lot of Honda's and they dont have this "feature"

top bearings in gearbox is a common fault but u would hear it in all gears and it stops if u press clutch and hold it down around 30mph you sure it aint tyre noise?or a mis-shaped tyre?

i know its a wild shot in the dark but ive got the diesel so encounter this problem more than petrol engines. the diesel engine shakes the car to pieces and often i find any rattles at a certain rev range/speed are due to the engine vibration causing something in the glow box/boot to resonate or vibrate at that freq which manifest as audible rattles etc...sound proofing in my car is wayy overdue lol

back to your original post, could it be you have something in the glove box etc that is rattling at that speed?

No, it doesnt rattle, it whines. Like I have already said it seems quite common from what i've read you are probably used to it and i'm not but I imagine in the diesel you would have a totally different set up

It might even be the case that most people would just ignore the noise and dimiss as a general car noise, its not exactly loud because you cant hear it very well with the window open however i'm that type that as soon as I hear a noise i'm not used to I want to know what it is and automatically consider it as a problem when the likilhood is it probably isnt

From what I understand if there was a problem it would be hard to select gears and it would be very clunky, this isnt the case, the car behaves and sounds perfectly normal until you very specifically hold it in thrid gear at 2k rpm and it makes a whine / whirring noise that sounds almost electrical, it then goes away when you accelerate past 2k rpm, i'm fairly sure its totally normal and i'm just paranoid

Surely if there was a problem it would make the noise even more so at higher revs rather than dissapearing all together as soon as the revs go past 2k

Hi mate

I had a very similar sound when i first bought my car, i knew my sound wasnt normal as i owned a t sport previously! Mine did it through 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, it probably did it through all gears to be fair but was much more noticeable the slower i was going. The noise dissapeared when i pressed the clutch and i was possitive it was a gearbox noise. I had warranty on the car and took it back to the garage i bought it from and thier mechanic also thought it was a gearbox issue. It turned out it was a loose manifold bracket and the car was ready next day. I wasnt convinced it would be fixed but 15 months later all is fine :thumbsup: I cant help you with where the bracket is situated or what it looks like but i think its worth getting it checked out ;)