Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris Cam Sensor

Patdoc

Hi everyone.

I hope some knowledgeable person on here can help me.

I recently bought a little Toyota yaris,it developed a noisy cam chain.

to cut a long story short,it was decided to replace the engine,(second hand) rather than new cam belt guides and tensioner etc.

All went well putting the new engine in place until we went to plug into the cam sensor.

The old engine has a cam sensor with three wire terminals.

the new replacement engine has a cam sensor with only two wire terminals.

First thought was we'll just switch over the cam sensors.

But on taking a closer look,the three terminal sensor is slightly longer than the two terminal sensor, so it would be get damaged by the cam.

Question is,if anyone knows.

Can the two terminal sensor be used ,and what 2 of the three wires would I connect ,and what is the third wire for

Hope I’ve explained this ok

The car is a Toyota yaris 998cc on a 51 plate engine type 1SZ-FE

The replacement engine came from a 2001 Y reg which incedently it has only done 15,000 MILES

pm sent, sorry i called it a crank.

Thanks very much for your reply In the no

I would be very gratefull if you could help on this,your right about the car not starting LOL.

I Would be gratefull if you could tell me if there is a way round this (i.e from a three terminal cam sensor to a two terminal cam sensor)everything else on the engine is like for like,but obviously leaving one of the wires off the cam sensor wont send the right signal to the engine management system

once again thanks for your help

pm sent, sorry i called it a crank.

Thanks very much for your reply In the no

I would be very gratefull if you could help on this,your right about the car not starting LOL.

I Would be gratefull if you could tell me if there is a way round this (i.e from a three terminal cam sensor to a two terminal cam sensor)everything else on the engine is like for like,but obviously leaving one of the wires off the cam sensor wont send the right signal to the engine management system

once again thanks for your help

Some more information for you in the no

The original engine which I took out is a 998cc engine---------- code 1SZ-FE

The engine which I put in,is also a 998cc engine---------------- code 1SZ-FE

I have been told that the original engine that came out was built in France (three terminal cam sensor)

and the new one which was installed was built in Japan (two terminal cam sensor)

The color of the wires to the three terminal sensor are Red,- Black with yellow stripe,-White with black stripe.

Hope all this makes sense

Regards Pat

• 2 months later...

Hi Patdoc. Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? Can anyone else help?

I have the opposite problem where my old engine had the shorter sensor with two wires and the new engine has a longer sensor with three wires. Assuming the new sensor must stay with the new engine, how do I connect the three terminals on the sensor to the two wires on the connector on the loom? The loom wires are black and white. The wires on the new sensor were black/yellow, white/black and red.

After fitting the new engine it will not start and indicates an ignition problem.

Both are 1szfe engines. The original was Japanese and the replacement is a slightly newer 2000 French engine.

• 3 years later...

Well good source of information about sensors and their use. I know very well that different techniques are used to fix sensors . I just want to know how to fix load cells sensor at front door .Can any one advised me about it !

• 3 years later...
On 31/07/2010 at 9:52 PM, Patdoc said:

Hi everyone.

I hope some knowledgeable person on here can help me.

I recently bought a little Toyota yaris,it developed a noisy cam chain.

to cut a long story short,it was decided to replace the engine,(second hand) rather than new cam belt guides and tensioner etc.

All went well putting the new engine in place until we went to plug into the cam sensor.

The old engine has a cam sensor with three wire terminals.

the new replacement engine has a cam sensor with only two wire terminals.

First thought was we'll just switch over the cam sensors.

But on taking a closer look,the three terminal sensor is slightly longer than the two terminal sensor, so it would be get damaged by the cam.

Question is,if anyone knows.

Can the two terminal sensor be used ,and what 2 of the three wires would I connect ,and what is the third wire for

Hope I’ve explained this ok

The car is a Toyota yaris 998cc on a 51 plate engine type 1SZ-FE

The replacement engine came from a 2001 Y reg which incedently it has only done 15,000 MILES

Just fitted a Japanese 1000cc engine in to a French built Yaris the French engine runs on a 3 wire cam sensor and the jap engine a 2 wire sensor the sensors are not interchangeable  so I had to fit the French inlet camshaft and the French crankshaft reluctor ring on the front of the crankshaft then fit the 3 wire cam sensor and it will then run ..  it’s not hard to do 

Edited by Paul craig
Added wording