Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Obd2?

Condor

The car is Avensis 1.8, (7A-FE),March 2000, (X reg).

I've got Code Reader which can read all OBD2 codes,not the same but similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD2-EOBD-OBD-2-diagnostic-code-Reader-Scanner-UK-/270587523838?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f0045f2fe

I tried it on the car but it doesn't work.At the same time it works on my other car-Micra 2000(X reg).

My questions are:

1.What type of communication protocol is on the diagnostic socket on this car?Obviously it is not OBD2.

2.Is it possible to read the fault codes by connecting (bridging) any pin to ground (pin 4 or 5)?

The car is Avensis 1.8, (7A-FE),March 2000, (X reg).

I've got Code Reader which can read all OBD2 codes,not the same but similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD2-EOBD-OBD-2-diagnostic-code-Reader-Scanner-UK-/270587523838?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f0045f2fe

I tried it on the car but it doesn't work.At the same time it works on my other car-Micra 2000(X reg).

My questions are:

1.What type of communication protocol is on the diagnostic socket on this car?Obviously it is not OBD2.

2.Is it possible to read the fault codes by connecting (bridging) any pin to ground (pin 4 or 5)?

Hi,

Yes ,you short and hold pins 4 and 13 and the codes flash up on the engine check Light - see this link for details

My link

The socket reads , Pin 1 top row from left to right.

Hi,

Yes ,you short and hold pins 4 and 13 and the codes flash up on the engine check Light - see this link for details

My link

Thanks Richard.

Do you mean to read the pins like on this socket?

http://www.dashwerks.com/images/obd2_connector.png

Do I have to use the OBD1 table(two digits) from your link?

There is explained how to reset the memorised errors removing a fuse.Which fuse( where

it is)have to remove for Avensis?

Hi,

My link

Thanks Richard.

Do you mean to read the pins like on this socket?

http://www.dashwerks.com/images/obd2_connector.png

Do I have to use the OBD1 table(two digits) from your link?

There is explained how to reset the memorised errors removing a fuse.Which fuse( where

it is)have to remove for Avensis?

Hi,

Yes its that socket, a thin piece of single core wire does the trick and the OBD1 table for our engines - I'll guess its code 21 - O2 sensor ?

Cannot remember the fuse - ended up just disconnecting the Battery - just make sure you have any radio security codes to hand.

• Like 1

The fuse you need to pull is the EFI fuse in the engine bay fuse box, next to the Battery. This clears the memory of stored fault codes plus resets the ecu back to learning mode, if the fuse is left out long enough.

Richard, you are spot on, and that is the list I use. Do you have a link to the ABS and SRS airbag codes?

Condor, you have not wasted your money on the code reader. It will be useful in the future.

With the 7AFE engine, you can save on expensive diagnostics. :thumbsup:

Richard, you are spot on, and that is the list I use. Do you have a link to the ABS and SRS airbag codes?

Hi,

Afraid not - was not aware such codes existed..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links