Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Right Oil

kevin h

Just about to have my first service and thought I'd prepare for any arguements about the correct oil.

So, I have extracted asmall amount of oil to compare it with the new oil 9Should be 0W20.

my understanding is that this oil should be very thin, like water.

So, why is the oil I have extracted (Original from new) looking a bit thicker than water, admittadly dark presumable due to usage.

Has anybody thought that in fact Toyota provide the car from new with the wrong oil?

Just about to have my first service and thought I'd prepare for any arguements about the correct oil.

So, I have extracted asmall amount of oil to compare it with the new oil 9Should be 0W20.

my understanding is that this oil should be very thin, like water.

So, why is the oil I have extracted (Original from new) looking a bit thicker than water, admittadly dark presumable due to usage.

Has anybody thought that in fact Toyota provide the car from new with the wrong oil?

If you are averaging over 62 to the gallon, I cannot see how you can possibly have the wrong oil . . . . :eek:

• Like 1

Because if it is the wrong oil the average will suddenly start to drop!

Do a quick search for some of my previous postings about the wrong oil. They must use 0w20 and not over fill it - not even a tiny bit!

Does the car still perform the same or is it every so slightly sluggish and also hesitate when switching the engine on and off? Does it go as quick in Power mode? If it doesn't then the wrong oil may have been used.

The above were my findings and when the correct 0w20 oil was put in by the service manager the problems went away and the car went back to being just as quick in Power mode. I also found that when the wrong oil was used the engine was much quieter at cold start in the morning but returned to 'normal' when changed to 0w20. I think the mechanics use 5w30 or whatever the Gen2 Prius required whereas the new Gen3 Prius has a much tighter specially designed engine that must have 0w20.

They'll probably deny they put the wrong stuff in and have probably billed you 0w20. They might even say that the symptoms are because the oil is new and it'll improve with time - it doesn't. This is all rubbish as when the service manager changed mine to 0w20 himself ALL the previous problems or symptoms went away and the car was back to normal.

I'd also recommend you report the problem to Toyota as you're not alone. I'm due my third oil change soon (30k miles) and both other times I had problems! Not a good start.

Hi Guys

I've seen the posts about oil and have two thoughts....

I have a Gen 2 Prius, does that use 0w20?

I picked up my wife's new Aygo at the end of June and the dealer gave us a pint of 5w30 ?? I queried why at the time and was told that they 'always give a pint of oil with new vehicles' - bit strange I thought as the Aygo was the third new car from them and never had oil from them before!!

So - did I get the wrong oil for the Aygo and does the Prius Gen2 use 0w20 or 5w30 ??

Hi Guys

I've seen the posts about oil and have two thoughts....

I have a Gen 2 Prius, does that use 0w20?

I picked up my wife's new Aygo at the end of June and the dealer gave us a pint of 5w30 ?? I queried why at the time and was told that they 'always give a pint of oil with new vehicles' - bit strange I thought as the Aygo was the third new car from them and never had oil from them before!!

So - did I get the wrong oil for the Aygo and does the Prius Gen2 use 0w20 or 5w30 ??

Prius Gen II uses 5W-30 (Thin)

Prius Gen III uses 0W-20 (VERY thin)

I didn't get a free pint with either Prius.

I'm still using the free pint (in a nice bag) supplied with an earlier Honda Civic! However, while the Honda (2.2 diesel) used oil between services, neither Prius has used any.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer, I'll remember that when I change my Prius....

Highly unlikely.

Agreed. All Prius are made in Japan in a dedicated factory (or two). There is no reason for them to have the wrong oil. They will only have the right oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. All Prius are made in Japan in a dedicated factory (or two). There is no reason for them to have the wrong oil. They will only have the right oil.

Where can you buy this 0w20 oil from in the UK then? For example Halfords don't sell it. Is it somehow exclusive to Toyota and you have to buy it from the dealer?

Where can you buy this 0w20 oil from in the UK then? For example Halfords don't sell it. Is it somehow exclusive to Toyota and you have to buy it from the dealer?

Google is your friend :thumbsup:

For example.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-650-0w-20.aspx

Yes I know - I already tried google. None of the companies selling it on Google are companies I have ever heard of, and normally I hesitate to buy online from companies I have never heard of. Have you used this Opie site? Is it a lot cheaper than just getting it from the local Toyota dealer?

Google is your friend :thumbsup:

For example.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-650-0w-20.aspx

Yes I know - I already tried google. None of the companies selling it on Google are companies I have ever heard of, and normally I hesitate to buy online from companies I have never heard of. Have you used this Opie site? Is it a lot cheaper than just getting it from the local Toyota dealer?

try morris oils well esablished company used them for years only used mobile lately cos they were nearly giving it away at asda.if yoo ring morris oils you can talk to an advisor about any lube queries you have.he does not come over as someone just trying to sell their oils but sound advice.

if i only had a choice between Castrol and morris oil, the choice would not be Castrol.

they will advise you of their nearest stockest to you.

Same applies to Guy from Opie, give him a call, they do mail order

Kingo :thumbsup: