Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ok 3 Things - P0420, Sounds Like A Diesel And Airbag Light On :o|

stokesd3

Hi there just bought a 2002 Corolla 1.6 T3 and got two problems already that's auctions for ya! :-|

Can anyone help pls? Major problem is that it sounds a bit raspy on acceleration like a diesel. Doesn't seem to affect performance but not sure if this would be exhaust related as seems ok when revving at standstill. Inlet manifold already been replaced by previous owner due to loud vibration. Also got P0420 for cat underperforming but a clear of the code seems to have got rid of it for the time being. Looking in the receipts for it that has been coming out for years so not a major problem for me as it ain't getting any worse! Trying to avoid a new cat as the dealer says a new ECU is required as well :o(

Finally, air bag light has just started flashing. Any ideas? Don't think my code reader can reset SRS codes...

TIA!

the raspy nice could be one of the engine covers which vibrates and makes the annoying noise similar to the 1.4vvti engine?

I think the dealer may be trying to fleece you, as many people have put sports cats on their vehicles without the need for a ecu, it shouldnt bring the EM light on either.

The raspy noise could just be natural as my car does it too an my exhaust isnt blowing, a quick check for the exhaust blowing is:

Start the car put your hand over the tail pipe, if it moves your hand away from it and feels like there is alot of pressurte pushing your hand away - exhaust is fine,

If you can hold your hand over the pipe without too much effort you most likely have a hole.

As you airbag light hard to give you any ideas with out any codes, but check the wiring connectors for the seat airbags are plugged in and secure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. With regard to P0420 code clearing the codes with a reader seems to have stopped it coming back for the time being so not worrying too much about that now. Must only blip occasionally.

Don't think the noisy engine is normal but does seem to be a cover or something. Difficult to find as it doesn't do it when the engine is disengaged, i.e. when at a standstill - can only describe it as sounding like a diesel Transit when under load hehe. Not so noticeable when off the gas.

Have obtained three codes for the airbag light - 48, 16 and 15. Thought they were supposed to be displayed numerically to largest but doesn't seem to be the case with mine! Interestingly the air bag light did stay off this morning for about 15 mins and then it came on again going down a hill so does seem to clear itself now and again. Any ideas? Not sure if there is a code list somewhere :unsure:

Cheers guys

the cover i am referring to i think (if i remember correctly) is the manifold cover or something so diagnosing with the engine off is going to be difficult. if you are friendly with your local garage ask then to whip the cover off and then start the engine, if your noise goes away you know where your problem is ;) just to describe to you when it happens on one of our corollas its like something is grating and the more you rev the louder it gets?

the cover i am referring to i think (if i remember correctly) is the manifold cover or something so diagnosing with the engine off is going to be difficult. if you are friendly with your local garage ask then to whip the cover off and then start the engine, if your noise goes away you know where your problem is ;) just to describe to you when it happens on one of our corollas its like something is grating and the more you rev the louder it gets?

Cheers for that will try removing it and then running around. Here's hoping it's that simple :rolleyes:

With regard to the SRS codes found this really useful http://caphector.com/atoyota/techinfo.toyota.com/ileaf/02toyrm/02toypdf/02rmsour/2002/02echorm/di/rs/dtcc.pdf'>http://caphector.com/atoyota/techinfo.toyota.com/ileaf/02toyrm/02toypdf/02rmsour/2002/02echorm/di/rs/dtcc.pdf

Look here if it ain't in the list http://caphector.com/atoyota/techinfo.toyota.com/ileaf/02toyrm/02toypdf/02rmsour/2002/02echorm/di/rs/

Clicking in each section details each code, e.g. the one headed B0100/13 appears to refer to code 13 etc. Nice :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links