Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Red Sea & Back Again

Wiilm

Well............. :thumbsup:

We made it without hitch in an 04 1.8 petrol auto. It passed it's MOT without any advisories after first changing a couple of worn tyres upon our return.

11,001 miles for the round (meandering) trip.

Heard lots on the world service about wonky later models whilst we were away.

Throughout the SE. Med region of Turkey and both Syria and Jordan, well to do drivers of other cars were very complimentary at the rare sight of a uk reg Toyota so far from home. Must have done wonders for rectifying the adverse publicity.

So perhaps Toyota will consider sponsoring another trip for us.?

We can go head to head for a reliability test against the new model. :D

ps. Oil and coolant levels remained constant throughout the journey. (I have now changed the oil and filters)

Yes I'm considering test driving a Bugatti Veyron when they give me one for a free trip!

Talk about pimping yourself for a freebie :!Removed!: :o

Sounds like a great trip though :thumbsup:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well............. thumbsup.gif

We made it without hitch in an 04 1.8 petrol auto. It passed it's MOT without any advisories after first changing a couple of worn tyres upon our return.

Throughout the SE. Med region of Turkey and both Syria and Jordan, well to do drivers of other cars were very complimentary at the rare sight of a uk reg Toyota so far from home. Must have done wonders for rectifying the adverse publicity.

We can go head to head for a reliability test against the new model. biggrin.gif

ps. Oil and coolant levels remained constant throughout the journey. (I have now changed the oil and filters)

Hey you must be well made up, give yourself a well done pat on the back.driving.gif

Well............. :thumbsup:

Well done!!! I bet there are lots of tales to tell about the trip ..... maybe you could post your story on Wikipedia for us to read.

I loved Parts-kings tongue in cheek comments, but if you don't ask you don't get:lol::yahoo::thumbsup:.

Best regards, Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that in the latest Toyota mag they are unashamedly using a couple's journey to Australia in a Rav4 to promote the latest model. I could do with a fresh challenge - preferably in a Land Cruiser ;)

France - a doddle.

Italy - some really poor roads, unsigned closed passes (in May) and bumperhumpers.

Greece - Lovely almost deserted motorway with uncompleted toll booths, all the way across the north. .........Whoosh !!!

Turkey - far better roads and drivers than given credit for in the Rough Guide. *

Syria - Dear Rough Guide; I did not meet any cars with their headlamps extinguished in order to save on bulb life. :D

Jordan - Must hold the world record for stylish Cop Jeeps monitoring traffic along any denomination of road - Traffic humps and quadruple rows of coloured cats eyes embedded across the highway.

* Dear Rough Guide; Syrian and Jordanian city driving makes Turkish appear tame. We hired the services of a taxi on the outskirts of Aleppo (for a couple of quid) to guide us to a hotel in the centre of the old quarter. He simply put his foot down, signalling as late as possible whlst jumping lanes left and right in what became a high speed car chase. I just went for it constantly kicking-down and hurtling miraculously unscathed through what looked like impossible gaps.