Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Original Exhaust

RICK T

Hope someone can clarify a point for me. I have a 02 T Sport Yaris which keeps leaving rust on my garage floor in an exhaust shape. If the exhaust is on the way out, how many sections are there? Someone has told me that the cat is part of the middle section. If i have to replace the whole system it's not going to be cheap. Are there any alternatives?

Hope someone can help.

I think there are three parts to the exhaust on a Yaris. I knocked my back box off once and had to get a new one. Went to a parts factors place and got it for £50 and fitted for £20. Humphries and QuickFit told me I needed a whole new exhaust system and wanted to charge me £650 for the lot or £230 for the back box and fitting alone! When I had it fitted I was told that my exhaust system was fine and its a Mrk. 1 2000 reg Yaris. Get a professionals opinion on it and we can go from there mate.

Take it to a decent garage where you know you won't be ripped off and let them lift it to check it.

Usually the rear box goes first and is quite easy and cheap to replace.

Like all things though, if you wanted a cheap Bosal or Timax exhaust, you might pay £50 for a rear box for example.

If you wanted the OE Toyota part, you will pay double.

All depends on how long you plan to keep the car for, how you use it and how much you can afford to pay.

You might be able to get a stainless sports exhaust off eBay or from a motor factors for the same price. However it will be louder than standard.

"Rust on the floor in the shape of the exhaust"....

You haven't necessarily got a problem to worry about. I've had just the same issue on my 2008 Yaris.

The exhaust pipework is made of simple mild steel. A layer of surface rust forms on it very quickly.

As you drive on a wet road, the rainwater soaks the underneath of the car and where that water drips off the exhaust pipework when you stop, it is rust coloured.

So you get rust marks on the floor in the shape of the exhaust pipework - but its merely rainwater dripping off the pipework.

You wouldn't normally notice it unless you park it on a very clean light surface (like my cement garage floor...).

Problems with exhaust system failing are usually because the silencers have rusted through from the inside and started leaking.

You know about that because of the increased noise, but that sort of failure doesn't leave rust marks on the floor.....

I must admit that when I looked under the car, I was surprised at how rusty the pipework of the exhaust looked after just 12 months. The silencers were still OK, but the pipework in between was covered with surface rust. I assume its just normal. I did think about painting the pipework to protect it, but soon forgot until you mentioned it in this thread....

The exhaust system is acutally 1 piece but you can order it in 2 pieces maybe 3 if you are really lucky. The cat is part of the middle section and thats why that part costs alot. Depending on whats rusting you might get away with just a backbox which if you just want something on it and not bothered what then you can get them for about £50. If you want a Toyota one it will set you back about £200 or so.

Just look on ebay: all parts of a Yaris exhaust are available separately...

My pipes are original: 7 years old : and NOT rusty.

Every 2 years, I wirebrush them and coat with heatproof paint.. It wears off in time for the next coating :-)

(My wife has a Peugeot 106 which is 17 years old and on its original backbox...)

Just look on ebay: all parts of a Yaris exhaust are available separately...

My pipes are original: 7 years old : and NOT rusty.

Every 2 years, I wirebrush them and coat with heatproof paint.. It wears off in time for the next coating :-)

(My wife has a Peugeot 106 which is 17 years old and on its original backbox...)

My SR is 10yrs old now and its still on its original system aswell. :thumbsup:

Our old Yaris left our company after 9 years and it was still on its original exhaust too - and it looked in good condition when you inspected it.

The latest exhausts are obviously less well protected or of poorer quality. The pipework on our new one looked worse after 12 months than the original Yaris exhaust did after 9 years....

Don't get me started on the differences in quality between Jap and France components....