Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Brakes Question

ercol

*Sorry for the long post, but thought it best to give as much info as possible*

Good Afternoon,

Having changed my brake pads and discs on my 2002 Corolla over the weekend (front & back), this message board proved a vital source of information. That said, i've not done it on this car before and following the change i have a few concerns so thought this was the best place to ask for help (apologies if i've posted this in the wrong section though)

So i followed the Nrgizer Walkthrough: http://www.nrgizerbunny.com/rearbrakedisc.html - many thanks to that guy!

Problem i'm having is firstly a lot of brake squeal - especially from the drivers side front, followed by from the passenger side front (when i press harder on the pedal) I did apply copper grease as instructed so this may just be new pads bedding in. It does strike me as odd that it squeals one side first then the other though.

Secondly and most importantly, the drivers side front wheel is heating up significantly, hot to the touch after a short journey (10 mile commute, about 20 mins) - quite a lot hotter than the wheel on the other side.

A few facts that may have affected it:

1) I forgot to readjust the cog that controls the handbrake - finding this out was a fun experience! - i have since readjusted it though and it now works fine

2) I also failed to drain out excess brake fluid - checking it yesterday evening i realised it was quite a way over the maximum line, so i drained some out.

Having driven to work this morning the wheel is less hot than yesterday (although still hotter than the others) but the fact that i was driving very cautiously may have something to do with it.

Having checked this board the most frequent suggestions seemed to be a seized caliper, but having jacked it up last night i can confirm the wheel turns freely and indeed stops correctly when the pedal is pressed (as do all the other wheels)

So, does anyone have any suggestions? or should i just stop worrying?

Is it possible that the brakes on 1 side are kicking in before the brakes on the other, meaning that 1 side is doing more work than the other and thus heating up?

Any help very greatly appreciated!

Ercol

I have recently had a seized caliper... drivers side...

Just because a caliper is seized doesn't necessarily mean it will stop the wheel turning...

In my case as the new pads were thicker than the old ones there was just enough touching the brake disc to create friction when driving and heating the wheel up...

I would suggest checking your slider pins... if one is seized put your old pad back in until you can get a slider pin kit (£30 from Toyota)

thumbsup.gif

I have recently had a seized caliper... drivers side...

Just because a caliper is seized doesn't necessarily mean it will stop the wheel turning...

In my case as the new pads were thicker than the old ones there was just enough touching the brake disc to create friction when driving and heating the wheel up...

I would suggest checking your slider pins... if one is seized put your old pad back in until you can get a slider pin kit (£30 from Toyota)

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your reply, however being a complete noob, i'm not sure i follow.

Wheel turns freely without brake pedal pressed - Wheel doesnt turn at all when brake pedal is pressed - surely this means Caliper is working? Please feel free to correct me, as i say I'm trying to be logical rather than speaking from any kind of experience!

thanks again,

Ercol

What generates heat? Friction does, you probably have a sticking caliper or slider as mentioned above, it doesnt need to be much and the heat build up will be immense ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Probably a caliper is stuck. I had a similar problem (not so extensive) and when I changed the brake pads, I show it.

I had to clean thoroughly the caliper and spray it with special fluids as to to let it work easily (return on open position easily).

i would take your slider pins out and then regrease them. they are known to stick.

if they have gotten that hot the chances are the rubber on the slider pins is toast or the grease has melted out.

Probably a caliper is stuck. I had a similar problem (not so extensive) and when I changed the brake pads, I show it.

I had to clean thoroughly the caliper and spray it with special fluids as to to let it work easily (return on open position easily).

same issue here, my mechanic clean it for me when change my front pads, now the squease has gone :yahoo: