Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Petrol Consumption

dave97

I have a 2010 Yaris 1.33 with Easydrive.

The adverts say that the average petrol consumption is 55 miles MPG but the best I have ever got is 40 MPG.

At the moment it is only doing 35 MPG.

Most of my driving is around town with a few short trips on the motorway. I don't use the manual gearchange options only Easydrive.

A few months after I bought the car ago I told the garage that I wasn't happy with the petrol consumption and they SAY they tested the car and it was OK.

What MPG do other Yaris drivers with Easydrive get?

Dave

I have a 2010 Yaris 1.33 with Easydrive.

The adverts say that the average petrol consumption is 55 miles MPG but the best I have ever got is 40 MPG.

At the moment it is only doing 35 MPG.

Most of my driving is around town with a few short trips on the motorway. I don't use the manual gearchange options only Easydrive.

A few months after I bought the car ago I told the garage that I wasn't happy with the petrol consumption and they SAY they tested the car and it was OK.

What MPG do other Yaris drivers with Easydrive get?

Dave

I haven't got easydrive but all engines take time to bed in until fuel consumption improves. How many miles has your car done?

If you do mainly short journeys then you will not get really good economy.

The official figures are produced over an artificial "test cycle". You are unlikely to be able to reproduce them but they can be used to compare different cars, as they are all tested in the same way.

35mpg is probably about right for mainly short town driving trips.

The economy will get better over time as the engine loosens up.

Short town trips are the worst. The car rarely has time to get warm and is often running "with the choke on".

Mine's the previous 1.3 and I get about 36-37 around town and about 40-42 on a motorway run.

You'll get the best MPG on a long drive over "country roads" at around 50-60mph and that sort of driving is probably the nearest you will get to the official consumption test.

By "average" they mean that it is the average of the two official tests, not the average that you can expect to get....

The "easydrive" shouldn't really alter the consummption, as its an ordinary manual gearbox that's controlled by a computer, so mechanically its just the same as the manual gearbox.

If its changing gear at the same time as you would change gear yourself, then you should get the same MPG between thge two systems. If its holding onto the lower gears for longer than you would, then yes the fuel consumption might suffer...

Alfiejts

Thank you for the information it has been most useful.

The consumption is disappointing as I got more MPG from my 8 year old 1.6 Nissan Almera but the Yaris is a nice car once you get used to the quirky gearbox.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I am managing around 55-58MPG on my 09 Yaris with no Easydrive. Mainly runs on A roads and motorways including some 30mph town journeys.

Get just below 50 mpg out of the old 1.3, which includes 13 mile journey to work, sometimes in heavy traffic, and running around. Quite happy with that.

By the way, I work the mpg out myself, don't use the computer on the car

Our "old engine" 1.3 has averaged 38.2 over its first two years and 10,000 miles, so based on grin factor's feedback above, there's obviously a fairly wide variation for similar engines.

No single tankful has ever exceeded 41mpg, but neither has it dropped below 37mpg, whatever type of driving was done - local town trips or long motorway trips.

Our old 1.0 (4 cylinder) averaged 44mpg over its 64,000 miles with us. Averages of single tankfulls ranged from 38mpg to 48mpg....

(That's all measured properly by recording the amount of fuel used at the pump rather than using the MPG trip computer....)