Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Genuine All-Over Tan Is A Physical Impossibility

Raistlin

_48586662_tanlinesspl.jpg

Sun-worshippers seeking the ultimate all-over tan should admit defeat, say scientists, who have proof that it is a physical impossibility.

The University of Edinburgh team found different parts of the body are much harder to brown in the sun.

Buttocks are the least easy to tan compared to backs, they told the journal Experimental Dermatology.

Hard-to-tan areas will need more sun protection against cancer, they warn the public.

The scientists carried out their research to find out why skin cancers like melanoma tend to be found in different parts of the body even though they are all caused by exposure to harmful ultraviolet (UVB) sun rays.They asked 100 volunteers to go under a sun lamp to see how easily they tanned.

After six tanning sessions the scientists analysed the skin of two body areas - the back and buttock.

Using scientific gadgets they measured the precise depth of tan achieved.

They found buttocks were particularly resistant to tanning, staying whiter than backs despite the same exposure.

But this does not mean that it is more resilient to the sun's harmful rays, say the researchers.

The tan colour comes from the skin's production of melanin, a defence that blocks the skin from absorbing too much harmful UVB radiation.

Professor Jonathan Rees, who led the research funded by the Medical Research Council, said: "One of the real puzzles about melanoma is why the numbers of tumours differ so much depending on body site.

"Our work shows that in one sense we are all made up of different units of skin, which responds differently to sunshine, and which all may afford different degrees of protection against the harmful effects of sunshine."

Dr Jodie Moffat, health information manager at Cancer Research UK, said: "This study is interesting because it suggests that different parts of the body respond differently to UVB - one of the types of radiation given off by the sun.

"Tanning is a sign that your skin has already been damaged by UV and is your body's way of trying to limit any further damage.

"For people with fair skin, freckles or lots of moles, tanning is very difficult without burning, and they should take extra care to protect their skin from sunburn."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• Bizarra

• jw67

• tatteam

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the white bits, it gives you something to aim at...eek.gif

I like the white bits, it gives you something to aim at...eek.gif

You have to aim ? :eek::rolleyes: You need more practice :help: I can do it in the dark with my eyes shut! :toast:

I go for pin point accuracy not blanket covered, because if your blanket gets covered old dry cleaners then rip you off... laugh.gif

I go for pin point accuracy not blanket covered, because if your blanket gets covered old dry cleaners then rip you off... laugh.gif

That's a very sticky situation to be in :yes:

To paraphrase your joke[?] " You've done a good job, so I'll cum again" :rolleyes: so the handsome, distinguished, elegant Dry Cleaner said "Right, nothing cums free, so I'll rip you off" & rightly so :sneaky2: :lol2:

Use my joke, I mean why think up a decent reply when the automatice game saying will do ... thumbsup.gif

Use my joke, I mean why think up a decent reply when the automatice game saying will do ... thumbsup.gif

I deeply regret my error of plagiarism & the fact that "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" & I certainly didn't intend to flatter you :nono:

Inflate an already over extended Ego> [ NOT ergo :sneaky2: ] :blowup: :lol2:

You can get off you knees now... yahoo.gif

I worship my computer :wub: but not to that extent :no: You do ? :eek: I know an excellent Dry Cleaner who will patch your trouser knees. In your case........cash up front :sneaky2:

You can get off you knees now... yahoo.gif

I worship You , I will stay on my knees, no cash up front required

Thanks, but your not my TYPE... thumbsup.gif

Thank God , for small mercies :rolleyes:

I don't mind being stalked by lissom Ladies, But You? No Thanks :shutit:

You may have a small mercie rolleyes.gif

But I'll have you know my mercie is more than large eek.gif

You may have a small mercie rolleyes.gif

But I'll have you know my mercie is more than large eek.gif

So you tell us :unsure:

We have yet to see the proof in all it's minuscule splendour :eek:

The definition of the forum is not large enough for such a photo...

The definition of the forum is not large enough for such a photo...

It could be scaled down, but I think, maybe, it should be magnified :ermm::naughty:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links