Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On A 1.6 Sr Im Thinking Of Purchasing

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI GUYS

Seen a 2006/06 Corolla at a dealer...1.6 petrol manual...45,000 on the clock...2 owners...full service history...£6000

What do you guys think?

What do i look out for when i get there?

It has 2 original keys...is it supposed to come with 3?

Is a 1.6 economical for local runs...say 4/5 miles a day?

Any common problems?

Is there 2 types of silver for the Corolla?

Finally...would i be better off with a 2006/56 than a 2006/06 with maybe 20,000 less miles and £1000 more ?????? please help me with this one especially!

Im thinking of buying it by the weekend...please please help guys...thank you all in advance

Sammy

Seems about the average price for an SR, £1000 extra for that many miles less also seems fair enough as well - that choice is yours though - no guarantee's that the younger engine has been treated as well as the older one mind!.

Its worth checking out a few things, obviously go for a test drive and do the usual listening out for creaks, bumps, squeals and any other noises.

Check the heater blows hot air (if you get the engine to temp), luke warm is not good! , also check the aircon blows cold air.

Make sure the gears select easily.

Have a look under the bonnet, if its been cared for it will be clean underneath - if not check the service histroy to make sure its been serviced regularly. If its due for a service, ask them to throw in a full service if you buy it.

Check the oil, thick pitch black / or at or under the minimum level - thats not too good, at 9,000 mile a year i'd except it to be at least a dark brown if serviced.

If you see any dints ask them if they can take it out for you, probably costs them peanuts.

Seems a bit expensive, I picked up an 05 plate T-Sport with 47k and one owner from a main dealer for £5.5k

Seems a bit expensive, I picked up an 05 plate T-Sport with 47k and one owner from a main dealer for £5.5k

Cheers mates...2 replies and much appreciated...i will make sure i check it over before i buy...although buying from a ford dealer one would think they shouldnt have to check it thoroughly as apparently according to them they do a full inspection anyway!!!!!?????

As for T sports being cheaper...they tend to go cheaper for some reason anyway compared to an SR...saw a beautiful t sport compressor with red/black leather...1 owner...full history...30k on the clock...£5000 on the dot! I think a 1.6 is more suited to me and i prefer the styling of an SR to a t sport which is mainly the front bumper. I dont know anything about how economical the 1.6 is which is whats mainly worrying me. Any opinions would be most appreciated. Regards...Sammy

Hehe i'd of walked away from that compressor, they seem to sit at 7 - 8k and thats with 40k + on the clock. But yea as we mentioned in one of your other posts, t sports are cheaper - my 55 plate with 39,000 miles was £5,800. People are probably getting put off by the tax and insurance these days.

I dont think the fuel consumption is worse than what its rated at if everything is in working order, i think 47.8mpg is a little ambitious though for long trips.

FUEL CONSUMPTION: (combined) 40.3mpg / (extra urban) 47.8mpg / (urban) 31.4mpg.

If you want you can check the trip computer on your test drive, if they havent reset it you should get an average of what the previous owner was getting.

I've bought from a Ford Dealer before, pretty good experience - they gave me 1 years warranty, took some dints out and fixed a few niggles for me before I picked up the car.

Good luck!

Just an update...i took the 80 mile long drive...AND...Yup i put a deposit down on it today...2006/06 1.6vvti SR in silver with just under 44.000 on the clock and 2 owners from that Ford dealer i spoke about...

Took it for a very lengthy test drive...drove beautiful...air con was ice cold and heater hot as hell...didnt hear any rattles/noises...gears were a dream compared to my Avensis 1.8 vvti SR...

Only downsides was it had quite a few scratches on the bonnet/roof/rear bumper...as if the previous owner put it through car washes or hand washed it with stones embedded in the sponge...BUT they agreed to get them professionally polished out...is that possible???

Also i noticed all 4 disks had pretty lips on the outer and pads about 5mm...BUT they going to put a full 12months MOT on it so maybe they'll have them replaced...although if its an IN-HOUSE mot tester he might just pass it to save them money!!! What do you think???

Also the tint on the back window has been torn...about the size of a 50p...any ideas how i could touch it up?

Oh and it doesnt come with a grey valet key...just 2 black remote fobs...is this a bummer?

Im picking it up in 2 weeks because apparently their mot tester is on holidays...so i'll have to wait a while...hope i've done the right thing. Please share your opinions guys.

p/s...they gave me peanuts for my Avensis 1.8 SR with 87k eventhough its gleaming...they couldnt get over the exterior...but i've had so many upsets with it...i think i did the right thing by trading it...although others on the Avensis side will probably think i gave up to quickly after 9 months of owning it!

p/ss...also noticed today the roadtax has gone up to £180 a year...swear i saw £155 day before yesterday! Anyone else noticed?

Congrats

Scratches will come out with an abrasive polish and someone who knows what they are doing

I cant see them replacing the discs i'm afraid

Just dont lose the other keys and you wont need the valet key, you have a spare so should fine

Road tax should be £180 a year for yours I think

Good luck on your new car

Discs can be lipped and still be in good order, providing they are not below minimum thickness. If they are working without any problems they wont be changed

Kingo :thumbsup:

THANK YOU Parts king...feel a bit better now...you didnt mention about not having the spare grey key and how to fix the 50p size rip on the rear window tint?

Sammy

Congrats

Scratches will come out with an abrasive polish and someone who knows what they are doing

I cant see them replacing the discs i'm afraid

Just dont lose the other keys and you wont need the valet key, you have a spare so should fine

Road tax should be £180 a year for yours I think

THANK YOU Bong Water...When you say abrasive polish do you mean something like Auto glym renovator polish??? But if they do that wont the scratches all come back AFTER the polish washes off??? Please advise...thanks