Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Hilux Invincible Reversing Sensors

Darren*****

Hi

I have a 59 reg Hilux Invincible with genuine reversing sensors which do not work in wet or hot weather. Despite Toyota changing them 3 times they are driving me mad and I just wanted to know if any body eles is experiencing problems. All the garage keep saying is we have had no problems with any other vehicles, which I find hard to believe. I have googled it and the general concensus is metal bumpers and sensors don't go together. Any feedback would be appreciated before I rip the bumper and sensors off, a fantastic truck otherwise.

You're not the first by a long chalk, keep at Toyota to fix them, then when eventually they give up trying and give you your money back (and a new unadulterated back bumper) get yourself a set of superior quality 'Steelmate' front and rear sensors and get a good sparky to fit them for you.

My set have been on 3 years from new and are accurate and reliable, and the sensors can be replaced individually.

Note. The back bumper is prone to rust when drilled, so make sure any holes are properly treated and sealed.

Sensors need to be kept clean to work.

Hi

I have a 59 reg Hilux Invincible with genuine reversing sensors which do not work in wet or hot weather. Despite Toyota changing them 3 times they are driving me mad and I just wanted to know if any body eles is experiencing problems. All the garage keep saying is we have had no problems with any other vehicles, which I find hard to believe. I have googled it and the general concensus is metal bumpers and sensors don't go together. Any feedback would be appreciated before I rip the bumper and sensors off, a fantastic truck otherwise.

Hi Darren

I run the Hilux Pickup Owners Club and have posted a few threads over there about the problems i had - Reversing Sensor Problems (you'll need to sign up to view that thread tho mate)

Mine went back literally 10 times to have reversing sensor problems sorted. They swapped the bumper, sensors, control unit, painted the sensors, dried the sensors, cleaned the sensors etc etc etc but it never sorted it out.

I finally got so fed up with the service team that i faxed a formal complaint to the general manager and dealer principle. I got a call back fom the GM later to apologise for all the problems, confirm that they were struggling with ideas on how to resolve this and recommended that the parking system be removed from the truck, the bumper replaced again and offered a refund.

The Toyota Parking System is incompatible with the hilux steel bumper (its normally fitted to plastic car bumpers), your bumper will rust and the sensors will always play up. I'd recommend you get a refund and bumper swapped ASAP.

After all the problems i then got a Targa Meta 2 number plate system for a third of the price which performed faultlessly all the time i had it

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarms/meta/reverse-sensors.htm

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:thumbsup: get shoot of the sensors and fit a camera,if you have sat nav screen

terry showing off again?lol..

terry showing off again?lol..

:thumbsup: hi buddy ,and maybe a bit,still enjoying the hilux ,and have big plans for it

i've bought and fitted the camera and its the nut, works a treat :yahoo:

Hi

Hi, i had sensor's fitted to mine at pdi by the dealer, after a short while they started to beep whenever i put it in reverse, but only during the day, after four unsucsessful visit's to the dealer i realised that it was only when it was hot i had the problem, when they fitted the sensor's they never rustproofed the hole's or/and made them slightly to small, so when it was hot the bumper expanded closing the hole on the sensor's or/and the hole's had rusted clamping the sensor's to tightly,so they beeped continually when in reverse,the sensor needs to vibrate to send a signal, so i removed the bumper, took out the sensors, enlarged all the holes by approx 1mm and rustproofed then painted them, refitted sensor's, bumper etc and never been a problem since, that was over two years ago, so the genuine sensors do work with metal bumpers if they are fitted correctly which it seems many dealers cannot manage to do, to me (as a technician with 32 years experience) its common sense to rustproof etc a metal bumper if you cut or the inevitable will happen, by the way the sensors are mounted differently to the ones fitted to plastic bumpers, so they are designed for metal bumpers, as i said they just need fitting properly. hope this helps Geoff.

• Like 1