Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rusted Rear Brakes

C_U_Jimi

After a week of lying idle (the car not me) I tried to drive the Aygo to-day and it wouldn't budge.

The rear brake shoes on both sides were rusted onto the drums. Weilding a rubber hammer and some emery cloth got it going again.

This used to be a common problem on Minis back in the 70s but I hadn't heard of it on modern cars. Has anyone else experienced it recently?

There are many instances of this happening in Aygo ,C1 and 107 range. Some people have a much harder job of freeing them than you did. On these cars everything is rusty from day one and this does not help.

Attached photo is from a brand bew 107 and inside the drum the rust was very bad. In addition many of the wheel nuts needed a lengthy lever to free them . The tool supplied even bent with hand use only. There are reported cases of owners being stranded with a puncture as they were unable to remove the wheel.

post-18994-128093788025_thumb.jpg

I haven't had the problem of rear brake shows seizing, but have heard of cases of this, not just on Aygos. I agree with Geriatric wrt rust on the brake drums. Decided the take off all wheels last year and copper grease the hubs as a precaution, and one of the rear wheels was seized solid. Took some liberal sprays of WD40, a plank and a hammer to remove the offending wheel. Luckily I didn't find ths out on the side of the road!

My rear drums were rusty when I bought the car about 2-3 months ago, I keep meaning to paint them but I haven't got a driveway and don't fancy leaving my car with the wheel off at the side of the road whilst waiting for paint to dry.

Do you mean brakes sticking like they are on mine?

This is becoming a bit of a problem on mine...will be contacting the dealers.

Exactly like that. Unfortunately mine is now out of warranty.

I've had this on my wife's old Suzuki alto. We drove to gatwick in the rain andleftittherefor 2 weeks while we were in spain. When we came back we couldn't move the car. The nice man from green flag said it was a common occurrence there especially during the winter. He suggested to leave the vehicle in park if an auto, or reverse if it's manual when leaving it formore than a few days.

Jan&tone..

This problem happens over night, in real terms, less than 12 hours of it being parked on the drive.

If i go on holiday i always leave the handbrakes off the cars as 2 weeks of sitting can make them stick...which i accept will/might happen.

For it to stick so rigid over 1 night though isnt right...Toyota have agreed to take a look at it tomorrow.

C_U_jimi - Shame its out of warrenty, will let you know what happens at the dealers (if anything)

Exactly like that. Unfortunately mine is now out of warranty.

Thanks for posting the video and I thought I had problems with my Aygo's rear brakes occasionally sticking on! Agree with the other posters if I leave my car for any more than a day or two I leave the handbrake off and the car in gear instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok a late but quick update...

Toyota have had a look at the problem, and dismantled the drums/cables...

Basicly they said inside the drums were very very shiny and when they get wet they will stick...

They then went on to say that they have "greased" everything, and if the problems come back to bring the aygo back in to have another look.

So far there hasnt been any problems...but im not 100% convinced yet...i will give it a few months before i consider it "fixed"

Its one of those problems that comes and goes and you never know when it will strike next...and knowing my luck it will do it when im late for work or similar... lol

• 3 weeks later...

A long time ago, I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to leave any vehicle for longer than overnight, then it stays with the handbrake off, in park or reverse/1st (depending on the slope).

I've heard of this problem from most of my friends and acquaintances, and it doesn't only happen with Toyota's and experienced it myself with my wife's old Suzuki Alto.