Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iphone At Risk From Security Flaw

Raistlin

_48604607_applegetty.jpg

The PDF exploit currently only exists in theory, although experts say that could change Security firms are warning of a vulnerability in Apple's iOS for iPhone, iPad and iPod.

Symantec said that it could be exploited by remote attackers to take complete control of a vulnerable device.

Experts said that the threat, at present, only exists on paper but that Apple need to issue a fix before it becomes a reality.

Apple said that the company was aware of the report and was investigating.

The problem lies in the way Apple's Mobile Safari handles Portable Document Format (PDF) files

As the browser automatically opens a PDF, a hacker could embed malicious code into this file.

Graham Cluley, a computer security expert with Sophos, told BBC News that the exploit used the same principle as Jailbreakme - a utility that lets iPhone 4 owners run non-Apple approved applications - although it uses the exploit in a benign way.

"It uses the same tricks as you do when jailbreaking," said Mr Cluley.

"We always thought that Apple's Mobile Safari would be the main vulnerability.

"At present, we have yet to see any of these exploits out in the wild, but it is only a matter of time," he warned.

Jailfixed In an ironic twist, the only way of preventing Mobile Safari from automatically opening PDF files is by jailbreaking a phone and installing an application, called PDF Loading Warner, that then asks for permission every time the browser tries to open a PDF file.

_48570757_jailbreak.gif

US authorities declared it was legal for users to jailbreak their phones. "I personally wouldn't want to jailbreak my phone to get the fix," said Mr Cluley.

He suggested that concerned users may want to switch to an alternative web browser, such as Opera, although he stressed that they had not yet checked these systems for exploits.

"Right now, its all eyes on Apple who we hope are going to fix this problem as soon as possible.

"Historically, Apple have been slow to fix problems on their Mobile browser.

"This has been a concern of ours in the past and continues to be," he added.

In an ironic posting on Twitter, one of the developers behind Jailbreakme - who uses the handle "comex" - speculated: "how long until a fix is released?"

Apple have yet to release a patch that would either prevent Jailbreak from working or close the highlighted security flaw.

Forget the "must have " fads & stick with the old tried & tested apparatuses :thumbsup:

Forget the "must have " fads & stick with the old tried & tested apparatuses :thumbsup:

Not that "Two tins and a piece of string" phone sytem eh Vic? :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Not that "Two tins and a piece of string" phone sytem eh Vic? :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can't beat it ,Kingo :thumbsup: Free, no contract, no monthly bills & knot :lol: tied to any supplier :rolleyes:

Raid the neighbours bin for 2 empty bean tins & if you are lucky, you'll find a piece of string, too :rolleyes: Then "Bob's your Uncle & Fanny's your Aunt" :lol:

Sounds to me a bit like those scare stories that used to go round about mobile phones - usually started by competitors that were jealous!!

Sounds to me a bit like those scare stories that used to go round about mobile phones - usually started by competitors that were jealous!!

I totally agree :thumbsup: The bean tins & string are perfectly safe & foolproof :yes: I've been using the system for years, without a problem :lol2:

And about your age limit..

At "my age" there are no limits imposed on me :lol:

I get an "Ancient & wise allowance" in every case & get paid weekly/weakly :yahoo: i.e. a "Fools Pardon " :thumbsup:

Crime passionell works too ! :D

If you eat properly, drink Red Wine,& live an exemplary life, you too may qualify [some hope :blink: ]

Ancient, yes oops.gif

Wise... Extremely debatable. eek.gif

Ancient,No. Older than you ? yes oops.gif

Wise... Extremely debatable. eek.gif

No debate :lol: It is a given, & widely accepted by the discerning multitude :yahoo:

It is a given, & widely accepted by the discerning multitude yahoo.gif

Of your small island...

It is a given, & widely accepted by the discerning multitude yahoo.gif

Of your small island...

The Island of Saints & Scholars :yahoo::thumbsup::yes: :bookworm:

A teenager in a primary class may look smart but it's still a primary class rolleyes.gif

A teenager in a primary class may look smart but it's still a primary class rolleyes.gif

Hmph! :bookworm: On OUR Island, our teenagers are so well educated, that they all have their University Degrees :thumbsup:

Don't judge us by your standards, or lack of them :ermm: :lol2:

Hmph! book.gif On OUR Island, our teenagers are so well educated, that they all have their University Degrees thumbsup.gif

A 1st in potato picking or peat collection isn't much use over here yahoo.gif

Hmph! book.gif On OUR Island, our teenagers are so well educated, that they all have their University Degrees thumbsup.gif

A 1st in potato picking or peat collection isn't much use over here yahoo.gif

Those elementary skills are learned in pre School :thumbsup: Then we move them on to Philosophy, Physics & the Classics , with Art & music appreciation thrown in for good measure.

Potato picking & peat collection are to teach our kids the ethic of work & prevent them from becoming idle layabouts,as happens in other countries Which shall not be named, :shutit: as I don't have Diplomatic immunity.............YET :euro:

I heard you had dual citizenship with Iran thumbsup.gif

Actually I'm entitled to a British Passport :eek::rolleyes:

Father was born in the 6 Counties & when our Republic was still under the Jackboot :o

So, no contest, & I picked Iran :thumbsup: I am secretly passing on information gleaned about you :ph34r::death:

For a very full"Brown Envelope" I'll deny it's truth :sneaky2:

Actually I'm entitled to a British Passport rolleyes.gif

Then why not join the real world thumbsup.gif