Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Do Dealers Offer You Peanuts For Your Trade-In?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

JUST A THOUGHT...WHY DO DEALERS OFFER YOU PEANUTS FOR YOUR TRADE-IN? REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT IS...FROM AN OLD CORSA TO A NEWISH LEXUS...THEY JUST HALF PRICE THE VALUE OF ANYTHING? ANY INSIDE SECRETS KNOWN?

BEEN OFFERED £750 FOR MY 2001/51 SILVER AVENSIS 1.8VVTI HATCH SR...87000 ON THE CLOCK...4 OWNERS...SERVICE HISTORY TILL 72000...AND THEY COULDNT GET OVER HOW NEW IT LOOKED INSIDE AND OUT (NOT A SCRATCH OR DEFECT)...I LAUGHED AT THEM...

THEY TOOK £250 OFF THE SCREEN PRICE FOR THE CAR I WAS INTERESTED IN BEFORE THEY LOOKED AT MY TRADE-IN...THEN LOOKED AT MY AVENSIS AND SAID £750 FOR THIS MATE...AND IF YOU THINK HE SAID WE'RE GIVING YOU £1000 FOR IT WITH THE £250 SAVING!

WOULD YOU TRADE IT IN?

SAMMY

why would you trade it in mine is a 2000 Avensis 94k Drives like a dream looks great and so does the car, :thumbsup: why except a low trade in price when your car looks better than most vauxhalls and better specs than newer shape avensis(but thats only my preff)keep it, give it a revamp respray if needed full service a good valeting bet it will turn more heads than more newer version , keep it dont let them rip you off if you look after it well, it will easily do 150,000k Do you know that the vvti engine is now sort after and refitted by people that want to pimp there own cars(sounds great the engine)

and are paying up to £600 and more, KEEP IT M8TE, Stuff the dealer

JUST A THOUGHT...WHY DO DEALERS OFFER YOU PEANUTS FOR YOUR TRADE-IN?

Because they can!!

Hi Sam,

You don't say what you were looking to buy and its price or if it was a Toyota main dealer where you get full warranties etc.

If you want a particular car, then haggle and if no joy walk away and make them sweat, they wil ring you with a better offer if they want to shift it, remember the end of the month is a better time when they are trying to get their sales target /bonus.

Have you done anything with the 02 sensor etc to get yours though the MOT ..?

Unless its your only source of transport try you luck selling privately, certain car dealers quite sneaky as said the last post you made very often car dealers wont give you anymore if the condition is excellent for its age or lower mileage than average but they will use these 2 reasons(or how ever many + points a car has) as a selling point, aka just a excuse to sell a car for more than its worth !just so you are aware, sorry i no idea of what price of your car worth or if it was good deal....

Hi

firstly sorry for having my caplocks on throughout my thread...didnt even realise,so stressed lol!

thinking of buying a corolla 1.6 SR, 2006/06...44000 on the clock, 2 owners, full service history, in silver...screen price £5999...test drive was a dream...compared to quite a few who know me on here now re all the problems i've been having with my avensis 1.8 Sr 2001...spoke with the dealer yesterday who are a Ford dealer...said he would give the car a full service except spark plugs if they dont need changing...a months warranty...2 months r/tax already left on it...a full 12 months mot...will polish out most body scratches because there were quite a few and a small ding on the roof...And if i trade my car in i'll pay £4800 on top...So what do you guys think? So you could say im getting £1200 for my avensis and considering the drivers side cv is knocking slightly...the gears especially 1st and 4th and reverse are a total nightmare to live with...and one o2 sensor needs replacing...and the belt is still slipping eventhough i've changed it it wont stop...and it may need a new ignition switch as most mornings and lunch times it hesitates to start up at first...otherwise it looks immaculate in and out! Oh and the mot runs out 1st week September and im scared what that will show up! This avensis is the most beautiful car to look at that i've had but the most nightmare with its problems. Heard the corolla is a lot more solid...smaller...more economical...cheaper insurance/road tax...and hear majority of them can go on forever without replacing shocks...clutch...exhaust...cat...etc!!!

please tell me what you guys think...i respect peoples opinions on this site highly especially guys like Richard.C. and a few others who have been of great help. Thanks...Sam

£1,200 is a fair price but remember this, buying a second hand car you could be taking on the last owners probs, even with a full service from the seller, if they are keen to sell ask them if you can get it serviced from a independant garage(one you know with a good track record},with the proviso that they pay and that you will buy, providing they fix any major faults found. if they have nothing to hide i cant see why they wouldnt,and if they say no walk away, a M.O.T WONT show you if the starter motor or the gears box have only a month left in them. get it checked out first, On the other hand nice choice of car to buy, good luck but be carefull m8te :thumbsup:

Hi Sam,

Well its alway a difficult one so say which is the right car to buy.

If its a main dealer then you are better protected by law than a private buy, but you still need to be alert.

Any mention of warranty etc , get it in writing before parting with any money - also, see the log book to check who has owned it , if it was a hire company walk away as an SR will have doubtless been thrashed.

With the SR thing in mind and the dealer only saying one months warranty - on what ? think you ought to looks at arranging 12 month warranty from the third party places like Waranty Direct Etc - you can do that yourself or might get a good deal if the dealer includes it in the sale price - but check who it is with and what is covered first.

Got me interested in buying a Corolla again - the standard 06 models seem a fair price, then newer Avensis's are just too big for my needs

Hi there Richard.C.

You always give the best advice matey...the ford dealer confirmed a months warranty on absolutley everything and a month is all they do on ALL there used cars...but he did write down prices for 1/2/3 years warranty, ill read the booklet later.

it honestly did drive like a dream compared to my avensis...cant stop thinking about it...still have to wait 2 weeks before i can collect it...in meantime im praying hard they polish out all those scracthes etc.

You made me laugh...got you considering the corolla again...trust me go for it mate...the avensis is just a big block of metal that aint worth all the hassle...look at the fault threads on the avensis section...then look at the corolla section threads where guys talk more about how to pimp the car than fix it! lol !

Takecare matey

Sammy

p/s guess i wont be on here for long...or then...may be i will...lol!

avensis OOOOO it was good enough for you before, :ffs: now its a big lump of metal :censor: thinks i will keep my lump of metal lets see in six monthe time how your car is, my big lump of metal has cost me one front light bulb one back tyre in the past two yrs not bad for a lump of metal :ffs:

avensis OOOOO it was good enough for you before, :ffs: now its a big lump of metal :censor: thinks i will keep my lump of metal lets see in six monthe time how your car is, my big lump of metal has cost me one front light bulb one back tyre in the past two yrs not bad for a lump of metal :ffs:

Lol georgepg...didnt mean to offend any avensis owners out there...the avensis is a beautiful car...very goodlooking i must admit and im going to miss her big time...you've obviously got a more reliable one...whereas mine....no comment...no she is just a lump of metal eventhough beautiful! But please dont wish me bad lucks when you say we'll see in 6months time...thanks

sorry sam, i hope its a great car 4 u, no offence taken, i hope it gives u as much pleasure driving it as my avensis(bit protective of mine lol) :thumbsup:

Hi Sam,

i am pleased you have seen sense, and are getting rid of a car that has given you no pleasure and been costing you money "reading " your past post its time to call time on what i feel was a bad buy from the beginning, had it been mine it would have gone long ago, however in saying that i personally feel the avensis is a good vehicle you however had a bad one and these things can and do happen especially on second hand vehicles and your homework must be done befofe buying one and a good time is needed before jumping at what looks nice which can overide the most important points such as its service history and high milage ect.

I feel a car that has been well maintained has the potential to last alot longer a bump or scratch here and there can happen to the best of cars its not always the owners fault the unforeseen can happen in car parks "supermarkets" and its later that the owner has to find out on returning to the vehicle. I wish you all the best with your next choice, but i would say going to a main dealer where they can prove the cars history on there computer system would be where i would start my search for another vehicle, yes with the naff prices offered by car salemen anywhere is not what we like to hear but remember they are human and just like ourselves can be dealt with never ever take first price offered by a saleman, i found they can knock £££s off if you seem not to be interested.

Do your homework sam and take your time when choosing/buying your car, and ask all the right questions before you commit yourself.

Hi Sam,

i am pleased you have seen sense, and are getting rid of a car that has given you no pleasure and been costing you money "reading " your past post its time to call time on what i feel was a bad buy from the beginning, had it been mine it would have gone long ago, however in saying that i personally feel the avensis is a good vehicle you however had a bad one and these things can and do happen especially on second hand vehicles and your homework must be done befofe buying one and a good time is needed before jumping at what looks nice which can overide the most important points such as its service history and high milage ect.

I feel a car that has been well maintained has the potential to last alot longer a bump or scratch here and there can happen to the best of cars its not always the owners fault the unforeseen can happen in car parks "supermarkets" and its later that the owner has to find out on returning to the vehicle. I wish you all the best with your next choice, but i would say going to a main dealer where they can prove the cars history on there computer system would be where i would start my search for another vehicle, yes with the naff prices offered by car salemen anywhere is not what we like to hear but remember they are human and just like ourselves can be dealt with never ever take first price offered by a saleman, i found they can knock £££s off if you seem not to be interested.

Do your homework sam and take your time when choosing/buying your car, and ask all the right questions before you commit yourself.

Thanks Pat2u...for taking the time to read such a long reply...its guys like you that im going to miss on this aavensis side of the fence...I should be collecting my new corolla in a coouple of weeks...but everytime i lay eyes on my Avensis sitting outside my heart goes down...because its in such beautiful condition...i should put some pics up on here but dont know how to...but she has to go because with a months mot left on her i really dont want to take any risks forking out more on her...The corolla comes with an absolute full service history and 44k on the clock and so long as i look after her she should serve me well in years to come...but i will always remember the avensis...at £1750 with 86k on the clock she was what seemed a bargain at the time...and getting peanuts for her as my trade in really hurts...but thats the lessons in life. Thank you again and takecare.

Sammy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links