Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is An Auris A Good Choice

donald packham

I have read all the new helpful correspondence in response to my second question but there is still some confusion in my mind - some of the responses were very positive whereas others, 'jettech' for example, outline numerous reported faults. The reliability of Toyota cars has not been in doubt in the past and yet the Auris seems to be the exception to this good reputation. My 1800 Avensis engine has been a good motorway cruiser but here, and in other reports, I have read that the 1600 petrol engine is not relaxing on the motorway requiring a lot of revving. I have never owned or driven a VW Golf so cannot compare the ride, reliabilty or driving enjoyment of this car although it always seems to feature quite highly in press reviews and has been recommended in a couple of answers here. Anyhow many thanks for the responses to my query. I hope I can make the right decision.

VAGs are more expensive for a little bit more refinement. They aren't as reliable as the ads make out either, the reliability index will show this.

I became Auris owner by "accident". How it drives, feels on the road, space etc you can check for yourself during test drive. You can compare to others and decide. What I can tell you:

- servicing cost seems to be quite good compared to the competition. You can buy quite good service plans from Toyota

- the dealers seems to be quite good too. The customers feedback is very good.

- in terms of reliability the car is disaster. Many common issues ie: steering columns, steering racks, brakes, some clutch issues, seats, gear linkage and now more and more people making complaints about the rust.

- VVT-i engines like high revs- it may be OK at the beginning but after some time you may get annoyed with that. Especially if you do some driving in Golf TSI.

Rust????? dear lord - the oldest of these cars is less than 4 years

Whats the duration of the Anti rust warranty on these Aurises as a matter of interest

Red diesel

Hi Donald, I can't vouch for the 1.6 petrol as I've never driven one, but as you are buying 2nd hand have you considered the 2.0 D4D diesel? I find mine very relaxing to drive with low revs at motorway speeds. You'll find reports of faults with EVERY car including Golf and Auris. There is no doubt the Golf is a good car I looked at one (amongst others) myself before I bought the Auris. There were several things that swung in favour of the Auris for me .....

1. The price. Got a really great deal on the Auris including 0% finance. Golf was going to cost a lot more and VW dealer would not come down on price at all or even throw is any extras.

2.I wasn't impressed with the VW dealer. I'm not the tidiest dressed bloke on this earth and had combined a trip to the DIY shop with my visit to the VW dealer and got the impression the salesman doubted my intention or ability to buy and pay for a car at all .. wrong wrong wrong very very wrong!!!

3. Auris is IMO roomier.

4. Looking through reviews and forums very few major faults were reported about the Auris. I don't consider rattles n squeeks as major faults and can ignore them anyway if I so wish. No blown engines, gearboxes, clutches etc. no leaks, things falling off. Yes some have had problems with steering racks and other bits n peices but that can be said about something on just about every other car Golf included.

5. My Toyota dealer is much closer to me than the VW dealer and I know them as the Mrs bought a Yaris from them.

6. The 2.0 D4D engine has a timing chain which should last for 120,000 miles or so rather than a cam belt used by the Golf which needs regular expensive changes.

7. I once bought a 3 year old Golf GTI Mk2 so we're going back a bit here!! It wasn't as reliable as reputation suggested. Both rear brake calipers required replaced shortly after I got it, the alternator melted and took the Battery with it leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere .... not a happy bunny!!

TBH I'd probably be quite happy with a Golf and really my choice wasn't so much about the differences in the cars as IMO they are both fine cars, but more about the whole car/dealer package and the price.

I have never for a second regretted buying the Auris or wished I'd gone for the Golf (or anything else), it does what I need it to do and it has been super reliable. If I'd bought the Golf I might well be saying the same about it (but I'd have spent a bit more).

I suppose what I'm trying to say in a kinda long winded way is .. it's not just about what car is "best" if that can even be determined! It's what is best for you ..... Best for me might not be best for you and you have to weigh up the pros n cons for your own circumstances.

Thanks 'Rumbly' for that very helpful reply and what you say is good commonsense and reasoning. I had considered a diesel but my local main agent does not have any and as I have dealt with the same dealer for many years, and many cars, I wish to do so again. I have always favoured petrol engines, but without any good reason other than familiarity. Not a very good reason I know. Any comments from someone who has experience of the 1600 engine would still be welcome.

I have a new shape 1.4d Auris and have had a mk4 & mk5 and being honest yes the Golf's do feel better built so why did I buy the Auris ? The Auris was a he'll of a lot cheaper than the new Golf, the dealers are a lot friendlier and the Auris itself felt a lot roomier for three kids. Though the Golf felt better built and more refined, but not £6k better.

Is the Auris the best car out there, in one word, no, but I have been more than happy with mine after 3 months of ownership and no issues. As has been said before it's not just the car it's all about the whole ownership experience.

Best thing to do is take one for a test drive and see what you think..

I replaced a 2006 Corolla Colour Collection 1.4 with a new Auris 1.33 TR in October 2009. Although the plastics in the Auris are different to the Corolla (hard to the touch), I have been pleased with my purchase, and see it as a worthy successor to my Corolla.. Get up to 48mpg on a run, which I think is pretty good for a petrol. The 1.33 engine is a little gem.

Usefully bigger inside than the Corolla.

No problems to date after 14 months of use.

my new 2007 Auris 2.0 diesel

likes-so far cruising is quiet ( once warmed up), seats are reasonably comfortable, visibilty is good you sit a bit higher than normal for a car, controls are OK and most things work, instruments I like. Bright interior.

dislikes- lack of decent stereo, arm rest on inside, noise on start up is BAD, fuel comsumption of 38-40 mpg I think is poor and I am driving carefully, steering is a bit TOO Light lack of feel compared to other systems, brakes seem ok. I found the cloth interior marks VERY EASILY so avoid!, and is impossible to clean.

planned changes- better stereo ( why fit such a pooor one??) If I cant get the MPG to about 45 mpg then I may have to move it on. Just read the article in the Times of a BMW 5 series 2.0 diesel vs a Prius Hybrid to Geneva I think over 500 mls, on a mix of roads, and the BMW was better!! not bye a lot but better!

Doesnt say a lot for buying a new Toyota Prius hybrid.

I may have to save a bit more for my next car.

Thanks 'Rumbly' for that very helpful reply and what you say is good commonsense and reasoning. I had considered a diesel but my local main agent does not have any and as I have dealt with the same dealer for many years, and many cars, I wish to do so again. I have always favoured petrol engines, but without any good reason other than familiarity. Not a very good reason I know. Any comments from someone who has experience of the 1600 engine would still be welcome.

Hello Donald. Three weeks ago I purchased a 1.6 Auris TR, to downsize from a Mondeo. I wanted to go back to Toyota after having owned a 1.3 Corolla for 15 years without a problem (yes, it was run into the ground). The Auris is the best car I have owned, and will certainly hold its own against a 1.8 Mondeo - there was no significant reduction in power. It is really easy to drive, and hard to stall. I have just one regret - that I didn't change sooner. Hope this is of help to you.

Hello Donald. Three weeks ago I purchased a 1.6 Auris TR, to downsize from a Mondeo. I wanted to go back to Toyota after having owned a 1.3 Corolla for 15 years without a problem (yes, it was run into the ground). The Auris is the best car I have owned, and will certainly hold its own against a 1.8 Mondeo - there was no significant reduction in power. It is really easy to drive, and hard to stall. I have just one regret - that I didn't change sooner. Hope this is of help to you.

Yes it is helpful as you have the same model as the one I was thinking of buying. Many thanks for your contribution and for all the others most of which are positive which is good news.

Hi Donald

We have had our 1.6 SR Auris for nearly two years now. Having recently retired we have only done 8,500 miles (used to do 25,000 p.a.) but so far we are more than happy with our choice. For: looks smart, very comfortable for long distance, goes well - but see below. No problems so far except pedal recall issue which was sorted out with no fuss and the 'squeaky brakes' issue which was again sorted under warranty as a known problem.

On the downside the only thing of any note is the fuel consumption which at around 36 mpg is a little lower than I hoped. This is due to the fact that the engine is just a tad underpowered but it still goes well enough on the motorway. The current, revised 1.6 has a little more grunt and is slightly more economical.

Hope this helps.

I became Auris owner by "accident". How it drives, feels on the road, space etc you can check for yourself during test drive. You can compare to others and decide. What I can tell you:

- servicing cost seems to be quite good compared to the competition. You can buy quite good service plans from Toyota

- the dealers seems to be quite good too. The customers feedback is very good.

- in terms of reliability the car is disaster. Many common issues ie: steering columns, steering racks, brakes, some clutch issues, seats, gear linkage and now more and more people making complaints about the rust.

- VVT-i engines like high revs- it may be OK at the beginning but after some time you may get annoyed with that. Especially if you do some driving in Golf TSI.

Can you expand on your experience re "steering columns, steering racks, brakes, some clutch issues, seats, gear linkage" & especially the question of rust, where to look etc. I thought all Toyota's came with a pretty impressive rust warenty?

Can you expand on your experience re "steering columns, steering racks, brakes, some clutch issues, seats, gear linkage" & especially the question of rust, where to look etc. I thought all Toyota's came with a pretty impressive rust warenty?

steering columns/racks- check how many people reported it on this forum alone.

brakes- early models had issue with binding rear brakes (dirt in callipers was explanation).

clutch issues- many reported clutch operation issues (also picked up by what car in Auris section). Toyota stated it is normal operation but probably they have changed clutch design in later models

seats- common issue, wear and loose fittings- check forum

gears linkage- squeak during gears change- small but common issue usually after 20-30k miles. Most likely down to salt used on the roads.

The rust complaints are about under body, steering and some suspensions parts. The chassis perforation is fine and no issue. Most complaints are from Europe so again could be down to salt used in winter.

I have collected the issues you can find people complaining the most about via forums and websites all over the Europe.