Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No New 2.0 Petrol Avensis ?

big_boss_2010

Looked at what car buyer'as guide that bit near the back of magazine and the official Toyota uk site, no Avensis 2.0 petrol, WTF??!! they stopped them now something?anyone know? the new avensis not been released for long, so its only 1.6 , 1.8 petrol now. firs they stopped the 2.4 avensis on prevoius model now the 2.0petrol on the new model, other cars accord, mazda 6 has 2.0 petrol!

No hatch either - that's a b*****!

It's only in UK they stopped the 2.0. As well as the 2.2 D-Cat i believe. They are available in most of Europe.

Perhaps there's a 1.8 hybrid on the way and the 2.0 has been withdrawn to make room for it?

I bought my car in May 2009 and I understand that Toyota ceased the 2 litre model shortly after.... it seems that I have a rare car especially as it is auto with the paddle gear change controls on the steering wheel.

I think the loss of a 2000cc model is not too good and I would like a bigger engine model too.... maybe a 2.4 or 2.5 yes.gif

The new 1.8 has performance of or more than a 2.0ltr with superb mpg so why have a 2.0ltr in the range.

I read a few reviews before buying my new tourer and most praised the 1.8ltr petrol unit.

Again i like to point out, that it's only in UK. So it's not to make room for a hybrid or anything. The 2.0 engine is still in production. It's just not sold in the UK. Nor is the 177 hp D-cat. That said, i think they should use the 2.5 V6 from Lexus IS 250 for the Avensis, stop making the IS 250 and replace it with the IS 350.

no way the avensis 1.8 is quicker than the 2.0 as above said its still sold elsewhere, agree with SF695 they should sell the IS350 but i think its to do with emission problems for europe + in UK the road tax for them prob be £435 or how ever much it costs now, not sure what that is in faroe krona's or how yor car tax works there! or should atleast sell a 2.4 model

Not sure what it is for the Lexus here, but it's based on weight, not power or engine size. As such, the IS350 would be the same as the IS250. Also taxes for diesel powered cars tends to be higher, so the IS350 would probebly be cheaper than the IS220. Emission taxes with more are included in the prize of the car itself in addition to the actual registration tax, which makes cars a lot more expensive here than the rest of Europe. Norway and Denmark excluded.

Anyway, you're right, that saying that the 1.8 is just as fast or faster than the 2.0 is taking the truth lightly. On paper there may only be a difference of 8 hp, but think about the amount of torque and how it is delivered and you get a different picture. And although the 1.8 may be more economical on paper, i doubt it is so in the real world. It has to be pushed more and there is not that much difference on the total weight of the 2 cars. The undersquared 2.0 engine should be strong a low rpm, enabling the driver to drive more relaxed.

The new 1.8 has performance of or more than a 2.0ltr with superb mpg so why have a 2.0ltr in the range.

I read a few reviews before buying my new tourer and most praised the 1.8ltr petrol unit.

The entry-level 1.8-litre petrol is fairly flexible and frugal. The 2.0-litre petrol engine while quicker, doesn't feel a great deal livelier on the road.

This is a quote from Parkers review on the 03 to 08 model Avensis and the new 1.8 litre engine is more flexible and quicker than the old.

It may be that the 2.0 litre petrol is a tad quicker but there is so little in it that I cannot see the point of a 2.0 litre petrol as well, I feel sure Toyota would have researched this and not come to the decision to not sell in this country lightly, probably due to the UK government penalising cars on output.

The new 1.8 reaches 0-60 in 9.4 secs.

Toyota has worked hard to ensure the Avensis is efficient, which has also benefitted its power output, too. As a result there's a decent engine line-up with power outputs ranging from 124bhp to 180bhp. The surprise of the range is the 145bhp 1.8 petrol unit, with its beautifully smooth power delivery. All the engines will reach 62mph from standstill in less than 10 seconds.

The extract above is from fifth gear which also rates the 1.8, I only went on the reviews I have read so if some of you have driven both and can say the 2.0 litre is that much better so be it, I have not driven the 2.0 litre petrol.

Having said the above I accept that the 2.0 litre petrol may be quicker in the real world.

Regards,

Robin

The entry-level 1.8-litre petrol is fairly flexible and frugal. The 2.0-litre petrol engine while quicker, doesn't feel a great deal livelier on the road.

This is a quote from Parkers review on the 03 to 08 model Avensis and the new 1.8 litre engine is more flexible and quicker than the old.

It may be that the 2.0 litre petrol is a tad quicker but there is so little in it that I cannot see the point of a 2.0 litre petrol as well, I feel sure Toyota would have researched this and not come to the decision to not sell in this country lightly, probably due to the UK government penalising cars on output.

The new 1.8 reaches 0-60 in 9.4 secs.

Toyota has worked hard to ensure the Avensis is efficient, which has also benefitted its power output, too. As a result there's a decent engine line-up with power outputs ranging from 124bhp to 180bhp. The surprise of the range is the 145bhp 1.8 petrol unit, with its beautifully smooth power delivery. All the engines will reach 62mph from standstill in less than 10 seconds.

The extract above is from fifth gear which also rates the 1.8, I only went on the reviews I have read so if some of you have driven both and can say the 2.0 litre is that much better so be it, I have not driven the 2.0 litre petrol.

Having said the above I accept that the 2.0 litre petrol may be quicker in the real world.

Regards,

Robin

You can't compare the 03-08 model to the present model and the fact that it doesn't feel that lively may be due to higher gear ratio. The present model has an entirely new engine lineup. Yes, the new 1.8 is the most impressive regarding hp/displacement ratio and is also impressive compared to the old 1.8. However, while the new 2.0 is not that much more powerful than the older unit on paper, you have to consider the torque curve. Now, all 3 engines share the same bore, but only the 1.6 is an oversquare design. The 1.8 and even more so the 2.0 are undersquare. That means, that the 2.0 while sligtly more powerful than the 1.8 in regards to peakpower is by far the most powerful in regards to low rpm torque. At least according to the laws of physics. As such, it allowes a more relaxing drivingstyle, with less rpm. Less rpm means less fuelconsumption.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links