Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Headunit

ArthurPewty

Hiya people :)

Ok what i want to do is replace my existing factory unit with my aftermarket panasonic headunit. I know this can be done by buying a new facia panel and fitting it in the existing position.

But what i want to know is...can it be positioned lower down on the dash in the position of the storage box or the ashtray? I did it this way in my Yaris TS and in my wifes "w" 2000 rolla but cant find any info here to see if its possible on an '05 T3!

Is the steel frame there to fix the headunit to?

How do i start to remove the bottom part of the dash?

I presume the connectors will be the same as the one bought for the Yaris!

Any help or advice much appreciated...Thx in advance :D

I should add aswell that i dont want to lose the clock / mpg etc. info on the dash display so thats why i want to position further down...Cheers :D

Im afraid if you remove the standard h/u you will loose the mpg display,

As for relocating the h/u you may be able to move it to the ash try but you may need to cut it out to get the stereo to fit.

Hi...i was going to ask the same question...also want to replace the factory stereo in my 2006 Corolla once i collect her (aint bought her yet) but its a bummer you have to lose out on the screen that displays all your mpg info...on my current Avensis the info screen and cd player seperate so it was easy to do...on the Corolla they didnt think to design it that way...so what can one do besides keep it or loose it? I wouldnt recommend cutting into any parts further down the fascia (did think about it) because when it comes to selling you'll have one big hole to explain and wont look nice...i even thought about mounting my after-market stereo in the glovebox but still the wiring will have to be disconnected from the original and you loose anyway...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sammy

Can you not just amp the OEM H/U using RCA outputs and fit upgraded after maket Speakers and a small active sub.

This should have the same effect as a high range H/U if a good system was used and you would still have the mpg/clock readout.

Ofcouse, all this depends on the OEM H/U having RCA outputs.

This is the route I will be taking on my Corolla and on my Verso. It is also the route I took on my MR2 Mk1 except I did replace the H/U.

Bod

I've only seen one person who installed a H/U in the cubby hole in the center console. From what i remembered, he said it was a nightmare to get installed and as most are saying, will have a slight prob when he's came to sell the car later.

Removing the OEM H/U, means you will lose the MPG and it's other features, but i've personally found it to be very unreliable. I think the best reading i read from it once was, me going at 90MPH and giving me a 89MPG, and my average MPG was something like 72, so i'll let you guys work out what i thought of it :lol:

The OEM doesn't have any pre-outs from the rear, as this pic will show

med_gallery_1491_689_71363.jpg

Yes it is possible to get an after-market unit, to convert high level speaker output to pre-outs, most will opt for a cheaper version, but here's something i heard about, that be raved about doing what it does best but bearing in mind, it's not a cheap option.

JL Audio CleanSweep product spec

JL Audio CleanSweep, UK website

the cost of cleansweep coupled with the crappy quality of the factory head unit is unjustified in my opinion. it is much more sensible and cheaper to buy yourself a proper alpine head unit (e.g. cde-9880r is excellent) with 3 pre-outs and sound processing features/high pass filters etc and install this along with fascia kit.

the cleansweep is more intended for high end cars, bmw/merc/audi/aston martin etc where the sat nav or other car control function, e.g. suspension/sport mode/gear box settings etc cannot be lost since the car is useless without these then a cleansweep may be used for oem integration.

i will stop ranting and go to sleep now but just so it clear im not wanting to cause argument by the above post its just that i find it rediculous someone somewhere in a hi rank toyota position agreed to fit the corolla (an otherwise excellent car) with such basic entertainment equipment from factory!

all car manufacturers need to take a leaf from the audi school of thought. they again arent amazing audio systems but at least they make some effort to put a half decent stereo system into their cars.

Ok, so what i am getting is that its not worth messing around with!...i already have the headunit to fit and the connecting cables and all that so it would keep the cost to zero which would be handy right now, really dont want to remove the factory unit the aftermarket adapters never seem to match in or fit too well!

its not that important anyway, just wanted to be able to connect my ipod and play mp3 discs...i can live with the factory unit tho :(

Thanks anyway people :thumbsup:

i think you got the wrong end of the stick. i was just arguing my opinion that i dont think cleansweep is the solution here, but rather buying yourself any single din head unit (or using your existing panasonic one) with all the features you like within your budget and using a fascia kit to make it fit. that is the best way forward for you and i would encourage you to take this path so you enjoy your in car entertainment more :) you could potentially buy a head unit and fascia kit and have it all fitted for less than £100. just because you want a new cd player doesn't mean it has to break the bank.

as for the fitting the thing lower down all i can say is i think you may be pioneering that positioning of the cd player and so there may be little in the way of knowledge base on here regarding this. have a go and let us know how u get one. pictures are always welcome :)

Ok, so what i am getting is that its not worth messing around with!...i already have the headunit to fit and the connecting cables and all that so it would keep the cost to zero which would be handy right now, really dont want to remove the factory unit the aftermarket adapters never seem to match in or fit too well!

its not that important anyway, just wanted to be able to connect my ipod and play mp3 discs...i can live with the factory unit tho :(

Thanks anyway people :thumbsup:

Hi mate, the easiest way to do what you want is this -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Corolla-Aux-interface-Adaptor-MP3-iPod-iPhone-/370394411183?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563d3a30af#ht_1102wt_988

I've personally used this with and iPod for two years and it works perfect :thumbsup: The quality of the sound is great and installing it is a peace of cake - you just fit it to the CD changer plug (it comes with all plugs included) and you're done. You can place your iPod wherever you want. But after using it, decided to remove the factory unit and installed a double din radio :rolleyes: Much better if you ask me :lol: