Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whistling Noise From 2002 Corolla

Broli929

hi there, pretty new in this forum.

I have a problem: I have been hearing a whistling noise while I am moving very slowly - say less than 20kph. But not sure if it keep going and cant hear it due to the wind/engine noise. the noise sounds like its coming from something going in circles if you know what I mean, probably from one of the wheels. The sounds goes away completely when I am at a halt.

At first I thought it might be the brake pads/rotors so I changed all 4 rotors and pads for a branded set (not sure if I am allowed to mention brands here)...

But the whistling continues. I noted it does not change if I put the car in neutral or rev the engine. I also did not manage to find any pattern how it comes and goes away but some times it starts off immediately after I set off and sometimes after a while driving. I also noted that sometimes, lightly applying the handbrake while moving makes it go away.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi there.I think the clue must be in the fact that the noise goes when you apply the handbrake lightly when moving.Did you apply brake grease to the back and sliding edges of the pads and clean the "muck"build up where the pads sit in the rear callipers?As the pads are always lightly in contact with the pads the grease will eliminate the noise as well as making sure the pads move back and forth under braking.

Also check to see if the calliper operates smoothly and isn't seized and same with the handbrake cables.

Hi thanks for the reply, from what I see I believe the corolla has a separate drum brake in the rear wheels for the hand brake, so you mean they might be seized? Thanks again for the reply, will definitely check it out.

I'm still finding my way around Toyotas but the principles are all the same whatever the car.Hope the info helps :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links