Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Lights Not Working Trc, Vsc And Abs Lights, Check Engine On

rovchopra

I've decided to journal my fault diagnosis and resolution of that mentioned in this topic title.

I'm new to the car DIY particularly when it comes to the electronics so now I shall begin my story.

I have a 53 plate Toyota Avensis 2ltr D-4D Diesel T-Spirit. The VSC and TRC lights come on. After reading the owners manual, It said that the car should be usable but without the computerised traction control and stability.

So I had left it as it was until I got an opportunity to properly looking at it. In the mean-time I asked some guys for suggestions who mentioned sensors behind the wheels may have become loose and the tires may be under inflated. So I made sure that the tires were at the correct pressure according to the manual (infact there's 33 psi in each tire) and the lights remained on and again I left it at that.

A few days ago the rear left brake light failed so I went about replacing it and when I put the new light in the brake lights completely failed even the one integrated into the rear screen and to make things worse the ABS light came on.

Now I paid more attention to it and have decided to make time for action.

After looking at a few forums, I was able to find possible solutions to the VSC and TRC lights (haven't tried anything yet, but i will put down results here) but nothing which matches my issue of the brake lights.

For now I have a code reader on the way from Amazon for which paid GBP30 which includes delivery. It's called, "U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Read Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner" and i got it from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trouble-Diagnose-Diagnostic-Scanner

It should arrive in a couple of days. In the meantime, if anyone wants to make comments suggestions, please do, this is a forum after all.

I've decided to journal my fault diagnosis and resolution of that mentioned in this topic title.

I'm new to the car DIY particularly when it comes to the electronics so now I shall begin my story.

I have a 53 plate Toyota Avensis 2ltr D-4D Diesel T-Spirit. The VSC and TRC lights come on. After reading the owners manual, It said that the car should be usable but without the computerised traction control and stability.

So I had left it as it was until I got an opportunity to properly looking at it. In the mean-time I asked some guys for suggestions who mentioned sensors behind the wheels may have become loose and the tires may be under inflated. So I made sure that the tires were at the correct pressure according to the manual (infact there's 33 psi in each tire) and the lights remained on and again I left it at that.

A few days ago the rear left brake light failed so I went about replacing it and when I put the new light in the brake lights completely failed even the one integrated into the rear screen and to make things worse the ABS light came on.

Now I paid more attention to it and have decided to make time for action.

After looking at a few forums, I was able to find possible solutions to the VSC and TRC lights (haven't tried anything yet, but i will put down results here) but nothing which matches my issue of the brake lights.

For now I have a code reader on the way from amazon for which paid GBP30 which includes delivery. It's called, "U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Read Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner" and i got it from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trouble-Diagnose-Diagnostic-Scanner

It should arrive in a couple of days. In the meantime, if anyone wants to make comments suggestions, please do, this is a forum after all.

im sure its the stop switch. check it. its under the steering wheel just follow the brake pedal and u ll see a switch with 4 wires. one more thing remove the bulb u replace then check the fuse if blown replace then disconnect Battery for 1 min then check if everything is okay if yes then put back the bulb if its blow hte fuse again then the bulb may be faulty try replacing the bulb.

Edited by badboys44

im sure its the stop switch. check it. its under the steering wheel just follow the brake pedal and u ll see a switch with 4 wires. one more thing remove the bulb u replace then check the fuse if blown replace then disconnect battery for 1 min then check if everything is okay if yes then put back the bulb if its blow hte fuse again then the bulb may be faulty try replacing the bulb.

Quite right. I located the fuse box, in the UK (right-hand drive) it's behind the glove compartment. With a little force I had to unhinge the glove box and it came away quite easily. I located the 15A fuse at position number 51 in the hand book. Unfortunately the spares which come in the fuse box under the bonnet (hood) only were of 7.5, 10 and 20 amperes so I used the cigarette lighter fuse for the stop light. Annoyingly (this is a separate issue but I thought I'd let you know), the replacement bulbs that I had bought had the side notches (which twist+lock into the socket) one further up the plug than the other, whereas the bulb that I took out has them equally near the contact end of the entire bulb.

This is one of two issues sorted so next is the VSC, TRC lights on the dash (will wait for the ODB2 reader - will be here tomorrow night)

Next purchases:

A multimeter - Will use this to check for continuity and it's just a really handy thing to have generally.

A set of spare mini blade fuses at 50p each or a 120pc variety pack for £8 (Maplin).

A fuse remover tool - or thin nose pliers (as my fingernails were torn off trying to get them out)

Comments, questions, rants are still more than welcome.

• 8 years later...

I had the same problem the a few days ago and I checked all the fuse, found they where okay,  checked the bulbs and found they all had gone. So I got new bulbs and replaced them, and the car was okay. The lights on the dash disappeared and my clouse control was back.