Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Colorado 3L Diesel Cam Belt Replacement

RAV4 in Family

Hello there, I am getting a 1998 3door 3L Diesel Land Cruiser Colorado on the 25th of this month. It is due a cam belt change as it has done 95000 miles and was last done at 56000 miles which is over 5 years ago. I will be getting a genuine belt but what else do I need. My garage saied something about a tenchioner and sprocket?

Hello there, I am getting a 1998 3door 3L Diesel Land Cruiser Colorado on the 25th of this month. It is due a cam belt change as it has done 95000 miles and was last done at 56000 miles which is over 5 years ago. I will be getting a genuine belt but what else do I need. My garage saied something about a tenchioner and sprocket?

Hi There,

I did reply once to your question,but I'm new at this and it seems to have disappeared.

I am not familiar with your vehicle however the 3L Diesel motor would be the same as the motor fitted to various tojo's over here.

I would be surprised if you would need a sprocket as they seldom wear under 500,000 Kilometers.

In saying that,some crankshaft sprockets can become damaged if the crankshaft pulley becomes loose in service or some ^%+*(_*+)*% mechanic forgets to tighten it. In that case you will probably need more than a sprocket.

Whoops,sidetracked again- back to the subject- I suggest that you source an aftermarket timing belt replacement kit from one of the larger suppliers to the motor trade over there.

Gates (that is an aftermarket belt manufacturer over here) make a kit which includes:- Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, idler pully, camshaft seal and crankshaft seal.These are the normally replaced parts when doing cambelts. A genuine belt could cost three quarters the price of the kit.

One last thing, you will need to purchase or borrow a harmonic balancer puller to remove the crank pully.

Best of luck in your endevour.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links