Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Sensor Is Bank 1 Sensor 1?

rich  avensis

Hi all,

My engine management light came on a couple of weeks ago. Finally got the courage to connect it to diagnostic tool that says "P0135 O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION BANK 1 SENSOR 1". I want to attempt to fix it myself due to expense. BUT not sure if I have picked the right sensor to change (reading the forum suggests it may differ for diffeeent models/engine sizes. My avensis is a 51 plate 2002 1.8 vvti avensis GS (I think its a ZZFE engine).

I currently favour the o2 sensor at the left hand side top of engine (when viewing from front of car) - which is also slightly annoying as I replaced this one 3 years ago.

I have inserted/attached a picture below of my engine. I have added arrows to point to the rough area where the sensors are. I currently favour the green arrow sensor.

Also does anyone know if the cheap sensors on eBay are worth a try (or would even fit my car - such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Direct-fit-LAMBDA-Oxygen-Sensor-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-2-0-/260638257939?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf403313#ht_8285wt_911 )

attached is a link to picture of my engine.

And does anyone know why some car part shops sell a left and right hand version(and others a one size fits all generic version?)...is this like tartan paint? :yes:

any advice much appreciated. Cant afford the 200 pounds a garage would charge me.

Rich

post-83626-128153993236_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

My engine management light came on a couple of weeks ago. Finally got the courage to connect it to diagnostic tool that says "P0135 O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION BANK 1 SENSOR 1". I want to attempt to fix it myself due to expense. BUT not sure if I have picked the right sensor to change (reading the forum suggests it may differ for diffeeent models/engine sizes. My avensis is a 51 plate 2002 1.8 vvti avensis GS (ZZFE engine).

I currently favour the o2 sensor at the left hand side top of engine (when viewing from front of car) - which is also slightly annoying as I replaced this one 3 years ago.

I have inserted/attached a picture below of my engine. I have added arrows to point to the rough area where the sensors are. I currently favour the green arrow sensor.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/SCwnJ0HV3qfYh8FGEUxD6A?feat=directlink

Also does anyone know if the cheap sensors on ebay are worth a try (or would even fit my car - such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Direct-fit-LAMBDA-Oxygen-Sensor-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-2-0-/260638257939?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf403313#ht_8285wt_911 )

And does anyone know why some car part shops sell a left and right hand version(and others a one size fits all generic version?)...is this like tartan paint? :yes:

any advice much appreciated. Cant afford the 200 pounds a garage would charge me.

Rich

Hi there...i had error P0155 bank 2 sensor 1...on my 2001/51 1.8vvti Avensis SR...took me ages to fing out which sensor it was...took it to my Toyota dealer and he kindly gave me a print out of my engine...best way to decribe mine is...standing infront of the engine bay...mine was the one to the right/passenger side...SO i assume yours must be the one to the left/drivers side...but do your research to be certain...i didnt bother replacing my sensor in the end...as im replacing the whole car instead lol!

Regards...Sammy

Hi there...i had error P0155 bank 2 sensor 1...on my 2001/51 1.8vvti Avensis SR...took me ages to fing out which sensor it was...took it to my Toyota dealer and he kindly gave me a print out of my engine...best way to decribe mine is...standing infront of the engine bay...mine was the one to the right/passenger side...SO i assume yours must be the one to the left/drivers side...but do your research to be certain...i didnt bother replacing my sensor in the end...as im replacing the whole car instead lol!

Regards...Sammy

Thanks Sam,

Must admit I am gradually getting more confused where the sensor is. :crybaby:

I have two o2 sensors that go into the top of what I presume is the exhaust(manifold?). But according to one of the engine wiring diagrams I have seen on here (search for sensors.pdf in sams thread IIRC) it could be on the top of the engine under the plastic cover with vvti on it.

Rich

I agree that your engine must be the 1ZZ-FE type.

Found some instructions for that engine, and the connectors seem to differ between sensor 1 and sensor 2.

You could also try to check the resistance as described on the picture.

11jorgo.jpg

Hi all,

My engine management light came on a couple of weeks ago. Finally got the courage to connect it to diagnostic tool that says "P0135 O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION BANK 1 SENSOR 1". I want to attempt to fix it myself due to expense. BUT not sure if I have picked the right sensor to change (reading the forum suggests it may differ for diffeeent models/engine sizes. My avensis is a 51 plate 2002 1.8 vvti avensis GS (I think its a ZZFE engine).

Also does anyone know if the cheap sensors on ebay are worth a try (or would even fit my car - such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Direct-fit-LAMBDA-Oxygen-Sensor-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-2-0-/260638257939?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf403313#ht_8285wt_911 )

Rich

You are correct, the sensor you want is the one on the top of the catalytic converter on the left of the engine when facing it. There are four sensors one on the top of each of the cats and one each at the bottom These measure the performance of the converter.

Fitter

Thanks to Fitter, Gooli and Sam. You have been very helpful. I can now order a DENSO sensor from europarts. Decided against eBay ones as it could be a false economy if it isnt quite the right part!

Rich

Thanks to Fitter, Gooli and Sam. You have been very helpful. I can now order a DENSO sensor from europarts. Decided against ebay ones as it could be a false economy if it isnt quite the right part!

Rich

I checked the resistance on both o2 sensors and the left hand one(looking at engine from front) failed between terminal 1 and 2. I have ordered a denso sensor from europart. If all goes to plan and the problem is fixed I will put the part number on this thread to help others in the future.

PS my right hand sensor connector looks identical to the left hand one - so not sure if left/hand right hand sensor is just a cosmetic issue....what the heck I have ordered a driver side one. (for anyone reading this thread a driver side component is classed as right hand. on the right as you sit in the car vice me calling it left looking from the front :wacko: )

Rich

Could be that the ones located on top of the engine are both the same type (bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1),

and the ones located after the catalytic converters (as Fitter says) (bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2)

have the other type connector.

Hi there

Glad to read your a lot closer to solving your problem...i found it very very difficult trying to solve which was bank 2 sensor 1 as nobody seemed to know...but for once my Toyota dealer came out tops...shame i didnt fix it in the end as decided to sell...well she'll be gone in a weeks time...i prefer a more basic approach to motoring instead of having to worry about 4 lambda sensors than 1 lol! But yes definitley buy your sensor from Euro-carparts...cost me £55.00 for a Denso after asking sweetly for a discount...compared to £149.95 from Toyota themselves! Goodluck and let us know how you get on! Regards...Sammy

Goodluck and let us know how you get on! Regards...Sammy

Just fitted my new denso lambda sensor to my 1.8 vvti avensis 2002 51 plate(sorry for all that detail thought it might help someone searching for the same problem in the future). For sensor 1 bank 1 it was www.europarts.com part number 710823105 - cost 65 UKP.

Its now fitted but required help from a friend who had an extensive set of spanners and ratchet tools to remove the old sensor which had oxidized into place.

Removed fuses to reset engine management and have driven 30 miles and the engine management light stayed off (it was previously coming on after approx 3 miles when it checked if sensor was at correct temp). :thumbsup:

Thanks to all the advice on here - you are saving us hard up motorists a quid or two. B)

Rich

Goodluck and let us know how you get on! Regards...Sammy

Just fitted my new denso lambda sensor to my 1.8 vvti avensis 2002 51 plate(sorry for all that detail thought it might help someone searching for the same problem in the future). For sensor 1 bank 1 it was www.europarts.com part number 710823105 - cost 65 UKP.

Its now fitted but required help from a friend who had an extensive set of spanners and ratchet tools to remove the old sensor which had oxidized into place.

Removed fuses to reset engine management and have driven 30 miles and the engine management light stayed off (it was previously coming on after approx 3 miles when it checked if sensor was at correct temp). :thumbsup:

Thanks to all the advice on here - you are saving us hard up motorists a quid or two. B)

Rich

Thank you Rich that was very helpful :) let us know how did you get on after few more miles as I have the same problem but with Bank 2 sensor 1, which I understand is to the right when you are facing the engine?

Thank you Rich that was very helpful :) let us know how did you get on after few more miles as I have the same problem but with Bank 2 sensor 1, which I understand is to the right when you are facing the engine?

Hi there still fixed a week later :thumbsup:

Done 150 miles since so looks like the new sensor fixed the problem.

Rich

Hi all,

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/SCwnJ0HV3qfYh8FGEUxD6A?feat=directlink

And does anyone know why some car part shops sell a left and right hand version(and others a one size fits all generic version?)...is this like tartan paint? :yes:

Rich

IN THE photo i replaced the one with the green arrow pointing at it now i think i might have to replace the one with blue arrow if you where sittin in the car it would be on the left hand side it think they r both the same just one has a longer cable do you no where i can get i cheap sensor for it

On our Avensis -01, LHD, it was the left one, i.e. the one with the blue arrow, that was designated Bank 1 Sensor 1, but for some reason that seems to differ.

To any interested parties.

As a general rule of thumb, bank 1 is cylinders 1 and 2 & bank 2 is cylinders 3 & 4 starting from the cambelt/chain drive side of the engine. Sensor 1 is for cylinder 1/2 before the cat & sensor 2 is after the cat & ditto for cylinders 3 & 4. Try www.worldcarparts.co.uk for original OEM parts (in toyotas case: Denso) or for universal parts. They sell all sensors from ABS sensors to idle control valves, etc, etc, etc. Hope this helps.

Regards, Beagh.

On our Avensis -01, LHD, it was the left one, i.e. the one with the blue arrow, that was designated Bank 1 Sensor 1, but for some reason that seems to differ.

what is the green arrow one bank? sensor?

what is the green arrow one bank? sensor?

I agree that your engine must be the 1ZZ-FE type.

Found some instructions for that engine, and the connectors seem to differ between sensor 1 and sensor 2.

You could also try to check the resistance as described on the picture.

11jorgo.jpg

can you have a look at the photo what is the green arrow one bank? sensor?

• 11 months later...

Regards...Sammy

Thanks Sam,

Must admit I am gradually getting more confused where the sensor is. :crybaby:

I have two o2 sensors that go into the top of what I presume is the exhaust(manifold?). But according to one of the engine wiring diagrams I have seen on here (search for sensors.pdf in sams thread IIRC) it could be on the top of the engine under the plastic cover with vvti on it.

Rich

Hi,

My car is 2002 toyota avensis 1.8 vvti 5 door(51 plate). I know this is very late, but now I am having same problem but the code is different. which is " p0155 (bank2 sensor1)"

Can you please kindly tell me which one is that. I got understanding from your previous forum replies that it is on the right side (passenger side) if standing infront of car (facing engine). But where actually it is located? I have checcked but it seems messy there so I couldn't locate it? or I need to lift car on jack and look underneath the car for it.

Can you /any body upload a picture of it, I mean its actual location??? and will the cheap o2 sensor (universal ones) on eBay will work fine or not?

Millions of thanks in advance

post-110279-0-17021000-1311705223_thumb.

• 9 years later...
On 7/26/2011 at 8:45 PM, 786innovation said:

Hi,

My car is 2002 toyota avensis 1.8 vvti 5 door(51 plate). I know this is very late, but now I am having same problem but the code is different. which is " p0155 (bank2 sensor1)"

Can you please kindly tell me which one is that. I got understanding from your previous forum replies that it is on the right side (passenger side) if standing infront of car (facing engine). But where actually it is located? I have checcked but it seems messy there so I couldn't locate it? or I need to lift car on jack and look underneath the car for it.

Can you /any body upload a picture of it, I mean its actual location??? and will the cheap o2 sensor (universal ones) on Ebay will work fine or not?

Millions of thanks in advance

post-110279-0-17021000-1311705223_thumb.

Did you ever find it? I can only seem to find one sensor. My engine doesn't seem to look like the one on the only video on Youtube that I can find. 

1 hour ago, ToxicaS said:

Did you ever find it?

The topic is 10 years old and member 786innovation last visited the Club in 2012 - so you're unlikely to receive a reply.

• Like 1