Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Holiday Review

OvertheHill

Although I've had my Prius for 11 months now I'd only done 5000 miles so when we went on holiday to St Ives I thought I'd note the good and bad points

Good

• The Prius eats up miles in a really relaxed manner. The most comfortable long (360 miles) drive I've had for a very long time. Easily better than my previous Golf and A4, and on a par with the IS200 I used to have
  • The passengers reliably inform me that it was equally as comfortable for them. Contrast that with my children feeling sick in the back of the Golf because of the ride. Plenty of room for them to sprawl too
  • Surprisingly lots of room for luggage. Miles more than the Golf and IS200 and equal to the A4 which had a boot that seemed miles bigger than the Prius - yet we got as much in with room to spare due to its versatility

Bad

• Turning circle. Those who have been to St Ives will know it is a town of tiny narrow streets and alleys. The Prius turns like a small bus - it's really hard work in a place like this. Tight yet simple corners are a challenge in perfect lines, and parking in the narrow bay we had at the cottage was an art-form - 10-point turns!!!
  • Silent mode is TOO silent! An ability to force the engine on would have been good. Again, those that know St Ives will know that parts of it are only accessible via the harbour and the crowds there just didn't hear me. Very unnerving to drive through. And a bit scary when people just step out with no concept you are there!

A pretty poor bad list I know and the second is not really relevant for 99% of driving. Overall I'm very, very pleased with the way the car copes with long distances - another reason to recommend it to people I think

You found the steering lock rubbish? No way. I find it quite a tight lock. What are you comparing it to? Does anyone know the turning circle of the Prius and its competitors?

turning circle of the prius is miles better compare to my old 03 civic. Its even better than my wife's small aygo

You found the steering lock rubbish? No way. I find it quite a tight lock. What are you comparing it to? Does anyone know the turning circle of the Prius and its competitors?

The steering lock is far worse than the Golf, A4 and IS200

The steering lock is far worse than the Golf, A4 and IS200

I know the comments made in your review are subjective, but I have driven many many different cars off all types and don't find the Prius to be all that bad for a front wheel drive car. So I did a search on the internet and found the following;

Prius turning circle 10.4 metres or 34.2 feet

VW Golf turning circle 10.7 metres or 35.8 feet

Audi A4 turning circle 11.4 metres or 37.4 feet

Lexus IS200 turning circle 10.2 metres or 33.4 feet Rear wheel drive

These are from a variety of sources from the web and refer to European spec cars using 2005 as a model year for comparison. I'm sure there must be differences between petrol and diesel models and of different engine sizes but it certainly shows that the Prius is not bad for turning circle, beaten only by a rear wheel drive car.

p.s. this isn't a dig at your review which is your personal findings of the car, but from my experience of different vehicles I find the Prius to have a very good turning circle for a front wheel drive car and so checked to see if my experience was correct or not.

Wow, those are surprising numbers. I've driven all but the is200 in St Ives and the Prius feels the most difficult. Clearly it's my subjective view then and maybe it's down to overall dimensions and position of the driving seat in relation to the wheels. Or maybe I'm just odd!

• Silent mode is TOO silent! An ability to force the engine on would have been good. Again, those that know St Ives will know that parts of it are only accessible via the harbour and the crowds there just didn't hear me. Very unnerving to drive through. And a bit scary when people just step out with no concept you are there!

Give em a blast on the horn.......thats what it's for :toot: :toot: :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Give em a blast on the horn.......thats what it's for :toot: :toot: :lol:

and get a kick in a door panel if its some yob.

What's the horn like on a GenIII as my GenII is a bit wimpy, though more than enough to wake up muppet jaywalkers

All the horns fitted on the range are now wimpy. It is embarrassing to sound the horn on an Auris just in case somebody bursts into laughter :lol:

Any good alternatives?

I take it they just have two contacts - unless we can rig a train horn to the HV side.

Any good alternatives?

I take it they just have two contacts - unless we can rig a train horn to the HV side.

Still wouldn't work for some!

Any good alternatives?

Just get a new high and low horn from an accessory shop and put them straight on, will sound far better I can assure you

Check these horns out, you can buy them on well know auction sites, you can blow the horn online to hear them :naughty:

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=3&uso=&tipologia=ELECTROMAGNETICS

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly, BBC Click has just mentioned that Toyota in Japan are introducing a "speaker" option that makes a "car-like" noise!!! Must be some other people who had the same issue in Japan then

Interestingly, BBC Click has just mentioned that Toyota in Japan are introducing a "speaker" option that makes a "car-like" noise!!! Must be some other people who had the same issue in Japan then

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114529

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links