Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wheel Bearing Gone Gen 7

iceland_potter

hi all,

I've just been told my offside rear wheel bearing has gone, and that it's not possible to replace just the bearing, the whole hub has to be replaced @ £330.

Can I just get a spare new wheel on eBay or is the wheel bearing in the car itsself and has to be replaced and I'll just have to fork out?

thanks all.

hi all,

I've just been told my offside rear wheel bearing has gone, and that it's not possible to replace just the bearing, the whole hub has to be replaced @ £330.

Can I just get a spare new wheel on ebay or is the wheel bearing in the car itsself and has to be replaced and I'll just have to fork out?

thanks all.

the bearing isnt on the wheel , if only it were that simple , its behind the 5 studs the wheel fixes to im afraid.

genuine toyota part at TCB retails at £149 inc vat thats the complete hub and bearing in 1 - fitting should be around £40 to £50 and its a straight forward job.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?CategoryID=55148 sells bearings for the gen 7 starting at £39.34- though i dont know your engine code and car year . this will require the old bearing pressed out and the new bearing pressed in , again not a massive job . they also sell the complete hub with bearing for £236 same one TCB are selling for £149 .

the whole hub assembly is held in place by 4 bolts , then its just a case of placing the new assembly in position and bolting it back on ( 4 bolts ), the rear brakes will need to be taken off first also . the whole job should take no more than 1 hour , by a skilled mechanic.

• Like 1

hi all,

Can I just get a spare new wheel on ebay or is the wheel bearing in the car itsself and has to be replaced and I'll just have to fork out?

thanks all.

the bearing isnt on the wheel , if only it were that simple , its behind the 5 studs the wheel fixes to im afraid.

genuine toyota part at TCB retails at £149 inc vat thats the complete hub and bearing in 1 - fitting should be around £40 to £50 and its a straight forward job.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?CategoryID=55148 sells bearings for the gen 7 starting at £39.34- though i dont know your engine code and car year . this will require the old bearing pressed out and the new bearing pressed in , again not a massive job . they also sell the complete hub with bearing for £236 same one TCB are selling for £149 .

the whole hub assembly is held in place by 4 bolts , then its just a case of placing the new assembly in position and bolting it back on ( 4 bolts ), the rear brakes will need to be taken off first also . the whole job should take no more than 1 hour , by a skilled mechanic.

thanks for your reply.

this is getting interesting, a decent garage near me quoted me £330 for the whole hub fitted, and Toyota agreed to match that price.

I took it into Toyota this morning (simply because its nearer my house)

I then get a call from Toyota saying I'm afraid we've found that the "housing around the wheel hub" has completely corroded, and they "wouldnt contemplate" replacing the hub with the housing in that condition. Toyota gave me 10 minutes to decide whether or not I wanted to go ahead with replacing the housing for £264, or else i'd miss the cut off point for ordering. I told him to leave it as I don't have an extra £264.

What are your thoughts? Were they trying to fleece me?

The hub assembly simply bolts onto the rear axle end , and thats solid steel, very much doubt that would be perished . the only thing i can think of is the carrier plate for the rear brake shoes would be rusted away , and thats just a disc of mild steel/tin, or its the stone guard thats rusted away , i avoid main dealers because they simply just replace , they dont fix or take into account the car is old and some parts do rust on the surface , i very much doubt that the rear brake plate is worn away either as the drum protects it from water . i think your best bet is buy the hub assemby from TCB for the £149, ( i have bought from TCB and they only sell GENUINE toyota parts,) and have a garage fit it for you , it really is an hours job to change , 4 bolts out , new hub in , 4 bolts in , the rear brakes as i said would need to come off , but thats easy work also .

i just did my wifes rav 4 rear hub bearing a few weeks ago , i have never done the job in my life , but i had it done in 2 hours .

The hub assembly simply bolts onto the rear axle end , and thats solid steel, very much doubt that would be perished . the only thing i can think of is the carrier plate for the rear brake shoes would be rusted away , and thats just a disc of mild steel/tin, or its the stone guard thats rusted away , i avoid main dealers because they simply just replace , they dont fix or take into account the car is old and some parts do rust on the surface , i very much doubt that the rear brake plate is worn away either as the drum protects it from water . i think your best bet is buy the hub assemby from TCB for the £149, ( i have bought from TCB and they only sell GENUINE toyota parts,) and have a garage fit it for you , it really is an hours job to change , 4 bolts out , new hub in , 4 bolts in , the rear brakes as i said would need to come off , but thats easy work also .

i just did my wifes rav 4 rear hub bearing a few weeks ago , i have never done the job in my life , but i had it done in 2 hours .

Thanks very much for that explanation. I shall be asking them to demonstrate to me which part is perished and would have cost £256 or whatever they said.

I only wish I could buy the part then take it to an independant garage, although it has been in to Toyota today. Thanks for that link though, I'll certainly use them in future for parts!

If this part turns out that they just needed to clean it up etc, I'm tempted to go to Consumer Direct and write a very strong letter to Toyota HQ telling them how they tried to rip me off.

Hi all just thought i'd update this in case anyone was interested.

I picked the car up from Toyota,they'd replaced the wheel hub and the car now drives like new (so i'm told by my wife).

After I got my keys back I asked the guy behind the desk what this bit of metal was that was so badly corroded and he showed me a lightly surface rusted thin black disc which goes behind the brake disc as you look at it from the outside of the car. Its about 3mm thick, about a foot max in diameter??!?! this is what he wanted to charge me £264 for?! No way is it worth that, I'm pretty sure they tried to rip me off! :huh::eek:

told ya . they see rust and say OH must replace that its not shiney . :ffs:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links