Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

98 Camry Suspension Noise

ceglinton

I have a 1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 with 126,000 miles. I have noticed a loud clunking sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. It sounds like something is loose in the suspension/wheel area. It is loudest in the morning when I first start driving. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen it sounds like something is about to fall off the car. I've taken it to the dealership twice. The first time they weren't able to find anything wrong with the suspension and didn't hear the sound when they test drove it. I even drove around with the guy, but wasn't able to recreate it for him. At his suggestion, I left the car overnight so that they could drive it first thing in the morning. They still couldn't hear what I was hearing and again told me that the suspension looks fine. It just doesn't sound normal to me...I'm not some anal person that makes a big deal about little squeeks and sounds....this is a sound that makes you think the wheel is going to just come off the car. Anyone else have this experience or know what the problem could be?

I had the exact same problem (the wierd suspension noises in the morning). In fact, I had the problem on both front wheels. Turns out 97 and 98 camrys with a lot of miles almost always develop bad strut mounts. I went ahead and replaced the struts and strut mounts on the front. This solved the problem, no noises since. Hope that helps...

Is this something that can be done DIY? Could I buy the front struts and maybe the mounts

and install without a compressor?

Thanks in Advance.

I don't think so. DIY is probably a bad idea... I think a compressor is pretty much necessary. But hey, you might be very good... :huh:

• 8 months later...
I had the exact same problem (the wierd suspension noises in the morning).  In fact, I had the problem on both front wheels.  Turns out 97 and 98 camrys with a lot of miles almost always develop bad strut mounts.  I went ahead and replaced the struts and strut mounts on the front.  This solved the problem, no noises since.  Hope that helps...

I am havein g the exact same problem right now, the mechanic replace the struts but I think he didnt replace the mounts still have this problem do I need replace the strut mounts?

replacing front struts and springs isnt hard , but not a job for a novice though .if the top mount isnt replaced correctly , the strut winds up the spring untill the spring bangs , usually going around a corner or roundabout if you guys have roundabouts , the way you turn makes that side bang is what i mean.

it can also be made to happen by parking up and turning the steering wheel on full lock .if left side bangs its the left strut at fault and so on. :thumbsup:

I too had this problem with my 97 Camry LE. I replaced the front strut mounts, but not the struts as they were fine. No problem since then, about 15,000 miles now. However, the rear's are starting to make the same noise now. Another $400. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 with 126,000 miles.  I have noticed a loud clunking sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle.  It sounds like something is loose in the suspension/wheel area.  It is loudest in the morning when I first start driving.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen it sounds like something is about to fall off the car.  I've taken it to the dealership twice.  The first time they weren't able to find anything wrong with the suspension and didn't hear the sound when they test drove it.  I even drove around with the guy, but wasn't able to recreate it for him.  At his suggestion, I left the car overnight so that they could drive it first thing in the morning.  They still couldn't hear what I was hearing and again told me that the suspension looks fine.  It just doesn't sound normal to me...I'm not some anal person that makes a big deal about little squeeks and sounds....this is a sound that makes you think the wheel is going to just come off the car.  Anyone else have this experience or know what the problem could be?

I have a 98 Camry LE 4 cyl, same problem with horrible rattle in both front tire areas. I think it's worse in the morning because it's colder. Mine sounds worse in cold weather.

• 1 month later...

My 1997 2.2 manual has always had knocking suspension ever since I owned it for the last 2 years. The dealer told me it was the suspension bushings which were identified as a problem for this model and changed for larger ones in late 98/early 99. He told me not to worry as they would not fail but would cost £400+ to change. So I just left them alone and they have been fine. It's always worse first thing (presumably b'cos they're cold) and it's worse in winter than summer (same reason). Last year I changed the anti roll bar rubbers on the back and this solved the problems at the back. Front is still noisy first thing but it soon goes off - I'm pretty sure it's the front mounts which need changing. Not going to rush though - i've put 50K+ on the clock in 2 yrs and it's never once let me down - fabulous motor. Good luck with it.

cheers.

I have recently had front suspension and mountings to overcome knocking - which it has. Now I am getting knocking at the rear. The car has covered 170,000 miles and has just passed an MOT . I think that would have picked up the roll bar rubbers if they were worn - so any ideas?

• 2 months later...
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 with 126,000 miles.  I have noticed a loud clunking sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle.  It sounds like something is loose in the suspension/wheel area. 

Exact same symptoms on my 98 Camry (120K). I replaced all the struts. No improvement. Well, not much to be precise. Replaced the mounts in the back little better but not completely gone.

I know I have to replace the front Strut Mounts (thanks to this forum) but anyone know if there is anything else that needs to be placed ? Such as Mount Bearings ?

Thanks a lot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links