Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill Start Assist

PatW

Hi,

Do you actually have to be on a hill to engage hill start assist? I tried to press the brake hard whilst stopped and in drive mode to test it out, and nothing happened.

cheers

Hi,

Do you actually have to be on a hill to engage hill start assist? I tried to press the brake hard whilst stopped and in drive mode to test it out, and nothing happened.

cheers

Press Harder! :thumbsup:

Hi,

cheers

No you don't. As stompe has stated above you've got to press quite hard and then reduce to normal brake pressure. There will then be a beep and a light will flash for as long as your foot is on the brake pedal. As soon as you release the brake the car will hold for a couple of seconds, beep twice and then release the brakes. If you accelerate before this couple seconds it will release the brakes earlier.

Test it on a quiet road to get a feel for it. I find it rather useful.

It is very handy. we have a couple of steep hills with traffic lights at the top and more often than not, you are stopped by the lights and have to do an extreme hill start when they go green. Hill start assist makes this a breeze.

Hi just a thought you do have a Gen3 Prius not a Gen 2

Good call.

PatW didn't say which Prius they have.

I Dont get it, isn't the prius an automatic? so why do you need hill start assist? is it liable to rolling backwards? like a manual car would with the clutch depressed?

Tanks

Joel

I Dont get it, isn't the prius an automatic? so why do you need hill start assist? is it liable to rolling backwards? like a manual car would with the clutch depressed?

Tanks

Joel

The Prius is to all intents and purposes an automatic but not as we know it.

When in Drive and stationary [edit: and foot off the brakes], the Prius simulates the creep you get in an automatic so yes, on a normal slope, there is some forward torque which will stop you rolling backwards. However, on a really steep slope the Prius could roll backwards if you aren't too quick with the footwork. To save having to use the handbrake (foot brake for us!), the Prius has hill start assist where there is a delay releasing the main brakes after you have taken your foot off the pedal.

Good call.

Is it on the Gen 2 ?

Thanks

Tanks

Joel

Most automatics will roll back on a steep enough hill, I think the Prius has less creep than most to use less fuel (Battery power actually) when stood with the brake on in drive.

According to the instant fuel computer readout, my previous car a Mk4 Mondeo Diesel Auto used 0.3 gallons/hour if stood in drive and 0.2 gallons/hour in neutral.

Most automatics will roll back on a steep enough hill, I think the Prius has less creep than most to use less fuel (battery power actually) when stood with the brake on in drive.

If you stop in Drive with the brakes on in the Prius, it turns off the 'creep'. There is no fuel used (unless the ICE is warming up or charging the HV battery) neither is the electric motor. When you take your foot off the brake, the Prius puts on a bit of forward (or reverse if in R) using the electric motor to simulate a traditional automatic.

Good call.

Is it on the Gen 2 ?

Thanks

I can't find it on my gen2 despite trying with the car in neutral and in drive...

Hi only the Gen 3 has hill start assist

I thought so - oh well I can look forward to that in a couple of years time!

Hi only the Gen 3 has hill start assist

Thanks for that, all being well my gen 3 will turn up some time in the spring next yeat....

Most automatics will roll back on a steep enough hill, I think the Prius has less creep than most to use less fuel (battery power actually) when stood with the brake on in drive.

If you stop in Drive with the brakes on in the Prius, it turns off the 'creep'. There is no fuel used (unless the ICE is warming up or charging the HV battery) neither is the electric motor. When you take your foot off the brake, the Prius puts on a bit of forward (or reverse if in R) using the electric motor to simulate a traditional automatic.

Wow that is clever, it must be instant though, because it's indistinguishable, as soon as I take my foot of the brake the car moves forward (or backward), so I can't tell that it wasn't trying to creep with the brake on. This car never ceases to amaze me. :toast:

If you watch the screen display:- with your foot off the brake, there is power from the Battery to the wheels via the electric motor to provide the creep. When you put your foot on the brake, the power flows stop. Makes sense really. There is no point providing the creep if you have your foot on the brake.