Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Lights Not Illuminating

Ash132

Hello folks,

I recently bought an 02 Corolla VVTL-I T-Sport but have come up against a problem. Soon after I purchased it from a garage the engine warning light (along with the TRC & VSC) came on. I took it back and they cleared the problem saying it was a faulty sensor. Now however those three lights do not come on as part or the pre-ignition sequence and if I hit the traction control off that light will not illuminate either. I took it back again and they said this was some form of diagnostics problem but the lights would come on if there was a problem and they couldn’t figure out why they were not coming on at start up. Initially alarm bells were ringing so I took the dials out to look for tampering (seen bulbs disabled before so it was in my mind!) but couldn’t find anything, unit still sealed with void sticker in place. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

Ash

• Like 1

Hello folks,

I recently bought an 02 Corolla VVTL-I T-Sport but have come up against a problem. Soon after I purchased it from a garage the engine warning light (along with the TRC & VSC) came on. I took it back and they cleared the problem saying it was a faulty sensor. Now however those three lights do not come on as part or the pre-ignition sequence and if I hit the traction control off that light will not illuminate either. I took it back again and they said this was some form of diagnostics problem but the lights would come on if there was a problem and they couldn't figure out why they were not coming on at start up. Initially alarm bells were ringing so I took the dials out to look for tampering (seen bulbs disabled before so it was in my mind!) but couldn't find anything, unit still sealed with void sticker in place. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

Ash

Have you tried resetting the Ecu(takin baterry of for a while) or plugin it in somewhere else to see if any faults come up? sounds like they have somehow turned the lights off and said it was just a sensor...which happened to me a few years back. jus turned them off and charged me 80quid for the "sensor" although i already knew it was the cat not a sensor that caused the lights to come on.

stick to a garage you can trust mate.

Welcome Ash :) .Does sound very suspicous that none of those light work anymore :yes: .I would take the advice from above or get another garage to have a look for you.Keep us updated on the outcome :thumbsup:

I had the same problem with my T-sport I got a month ago now. Not long after I got it the engine warning light (along with the TRC & VSC) came on too! I took it to a mechanic mate who diagnosed it with a p071 system to lean bank 1 error. Anyway to cut a long story short nothing I did fixed the problem so I decided to take into Toyota who now have fixed it and everythings good. I wish I had taken it to them in the first place and saved myself some money!

Hope it helps?

• 11 months later...

Update on this, and because I am always open to any advice people have about the situation as it has now developed.

Turns out my suspicions were in fact spot on! The engine blew in April of this year which I was just taking as my very bad luck so decided to try and get some value out of the car by breaking it. I sold the instrument cluster to a forum member who wrote to me after opening it up proper (again massive thanks for letting me know about this) and finding large amounts of black silicon sealant type stuff on the LEDs and in the compartments for those exact three lights! To say I was livid would be an understatement!! From appearances the front plate was taken off to fill the sections up which would explain why the void sticker *appeared* to have not been tampered with. That said clearly they got in to it somehow so why I thought the void sticker was undisturbed is a moot point.

Just been to the garage to show the owner what was found and he said he is going to investigate it as he regularly uses other garages for mechanical work and will need to investigate.

As I say anyone who has advice or have had similar problems any advice is appreciated.

Contact trading standard's ASAP mate,

my brother had almost an IDENTICAL problem with this Golf GTI, someone had put a sticker over the LED.

He got on to Trading Standard's and had it sorted !Removed! sharpish!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats them refusing any responsibility or refund so trading standards it is. :/

When you say you took it back to them, did you leave it with them while they diagnosed it??

Name and shame the garage!

It could prove tricky proving it was the garage that covered the bulbs up :angry: