Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Booming From Glovebox Area.

ApolloBluecat

Hi all

Have had a 2.0 D4D Spirit,for about 4 months and overall am very pleased with it. When I first purchased the vehicle went on a rattle hunt ( same with nearly every car I have owned) and got rid of most of them. However when I take the car over a speedbump or rough road at at low speed I get what I can only describe as a booming sound from the lower glove box/lower passenger footwell area of the car. Has anybody experieced this in their cars? It is obviously the up & down motion of the car which causes this.I am leaning toward the glovebox but before I take it out and have another root around behind it i wondered if with anyones help I could narrow the search area down.

Regards

Nic Jackson

Hi all

Have had a 2.0 D4D Spirit,for about 4 months and overall am very pleased with it. When I first purchased the vehicle went on a rattle hunt ( same with nearly every car I have owned) and got rid of most of them. However when I take the car over a speedbump or rough road at at low speed I get what I can only describe as a booming sound from the lower glove box/lower passenger footwell area of the car. Has anybody experieced this in their cars? It is obviously the up & down motion of the car which causes this.I am leaning toward the glovebox but before I take it out and have another root around behind it i wondered if with anyones help I could narrow the search area down.

Regards

Nic Jackson

hi appolobluecat

may be a silly question but is the damper connected on the glove box (page 300 in handbook). or pollen filter loose thats behind glovebox. the platic trim on the outside of the of the footwell is held by 3 clips is it secure.

Hi Acetip

Thanks for the quick reply yes the Pollen filter is attached and secure, the damper is fitted correctly and the lower cover connected by the 3 clips is secure, I was just on my way back out to have another fiddle around. I'll have to keep investigating.

Regards

Nic Jackson

Hi Acetip

Thanks for the quick reply yes the Pollen filter is attached and secure, the damper is fitted correctly and the lower cover connected by the 3 clips is secure, I was just on my way back out to have another fiddle around. I'll have to keep investigating.

Regards

Nic Jackson

hi again

it maybe coming from under bonnet or from wheel arch lining. have you got mudflaps fitted could be the one that side loose.

Well Acetip

I have found where the booming is coming from, I think!!!! It's the front passenger side airbag unit. Had the wifey listen and feel in that area whilst stationary with engine running and found the rattle/boom. As soon as she put slight pressure on the unit it stopped. We don't have much in the glovebox so I suppose the box can act like a amplifier. May see if my warranty covers the problem, as airbags are dangerous and unpredictible things to mess with.Thanks for your help on this problem, I do appreciate it.

Regards

Nic Jackson

Well Acetip

I have found where the booming is coming from, I think!!!! It's the front passenger side airbag unit. Had the wifey listen and feel in that area whilst stationary with engine running and found the rattle/boom. As soon as she put slight pressure on the unit it stopped. We don't have much in the glovebox so I suppose the box can act like a amplifier. May see if my warranty covers the problem, as airbags are dangerous and unpredictible things to mess with.Thanks for your help on this problem, I do appreciate it.

Regards

Nic Jackson

glad you found the where poblem is and hope you have cost free cure.

Rattle hunt on the Auris.

Hope you have lots of time and patience.

You will need it.

Lots of us have just learned to live with the poor build quality.

Good luck.

Don

A rattle free car is a unachievable panacea, I've had Golfs,Boras,Audis,Yaris's and many other cars and sooner or later the rattles come. If anything I think the build tolerances of the interior trim are too fine and this causes rattles and buzzing sounds as well as creaks etc. Also the hard plastics of the newer cars don't help. My Willys Jeep don't rattle and neither did my old Triumph Herald, but their interiors weren't made out of plastic.

I think it does wind us all up at some stage, but I suppose we just have to learn to live with it, and cure the ones we can get to.

Regards

Nic Jackson