Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 T180 Avensis Fuel Economy

mattwprice

I would lay money that the Vectra that averaged 51.1mpg didn't have all the fancy emision/particulate reducing filter gear that the T180 has (apparently its a very clean engine). If all that stuff was taken off the T180 (which it cant) I bet your mpg would improve substantially.

You're right, it was a late 2004 model, which was pre-DPF. I think later versions were not as efficient or as quick.

Just got back from a long weekend in Scotland. Economy on the way up, 44.1 mpg, on the way back (not so many delays) 45.6 mpg. If only I had the power of the T180 too! :)

Does anyone else's idle speed change? Mine seems to circle between 800 and a 1000 every 10 seconds or so. I am suspecting the MAF. Anyone know how easy it is to clean or replace? I am hoping this may help with the flat spots and the fuel economy too.

If the idle speed alters when you have the climate/air con on that is normal.

Thanks very much Antred, the aircon is indeed the reason for the fluctuation at idle. Still only getting about 35MPG combined.

Thanks very much Antred, the aircon is indeed the reason for the fluctuation at idle. Still only getting about 35MPG combined.

If you are drivin around around Reading Im not suprised at the low mpg, any driving in reading kills my mpg. I work towards oxford and the best i can normal get is just over 40mpg driving across reading and up the A4074, more often then not its 38-40mpg as the town driving kills it.

Have you done all the usual checks? recently serviced with the right oil? air filter ok? Tyre pressures ok? Checked and cleaned the EGR valve? and Maf sensor?

After that I would say its your driving. Ive just some 150-200mile each way jaunts up the motorway in the last few weeks. Ive got as low as 36mpg but that was on a very fast early morning blast, returning later at average motorway speed and the combined journey was 43.5mpg. The rest of my trips have all been 44-45mpg on the motor way at average motor way speeds.

All running on Shell diesel, and trying to keep the engine at about 2k-2.4k revs and changing the gears to keep it there. I dont use 6th that much unless its a good clear run on the motorway. My mpg figures are all off the computer but I reset the guages every tank and manually calculate every other tnak or so and the guage is bob on to less then 0.5mpg most of the time.

If you are drivin around around Reading Im not suprised at the low mpg, any driving in reading kills my mpg. I work towards oxford and the best i can normal get is just over 40mpg driving across reading and up the A4074, more often then not its 38-40mpg as the town driving kills it.

Have you done all the usual checks? recently serviced with the right oil? air filter ok? Tyre pressures ok? Checked and cleaned the EGR valve? and Maf sensor?

After that I would say its your driving. Ive just some 150-200mile each way jaunts up the motorway in the last few weeks. Ive got as low as 36mpg but that was on a very fast early morning blast, returning later at average motorway speed and the combined journey was 43.5mpg. The rest of my trips have all been 44-45mpg on the motor way at average motor way speeds.

All running on Shell diesel, and trying to keep the engine at about 2k-2.4k revs and changing the gears to keep it there. I dont use 6th that much unless its a good clear run on the motorway. My mpg figures are all off the computer but I reset the guages every tank and manually calculate every other tnak or so and the guage is bob on to less then 0.5mpg most of the time.

Sounds very similar to what I do. I work in Slough and drive there earlyish in the am and home around 4. I do have to drive from site to site whilst in Slough but always drive to keep the revs as per your description.I use cruise control. I drive up to Newcastle to see my gf quite regularly and last weekend due to the Reading festival elected to go down the M4 to the M25 and up the M1. The M1 had loads of road works on it and thus loads of speed restrictions to 50. SO I was travelling at just about optimum speed in cruise control with the engine fully warmed up and still couldnt get the car (just on the motorway section this is.. not combined) to go higher than about 42mpg. I didnt reset after this or the return journey or at all this week, and am currently at about 34.7mpg. I only fill up with Shell Diesel. The car was just serviced by Toyota, and I regularly ensure the tyres are 35psi. As far as I can make out I am doing everything right. The only thing I havent done is the MAF. If anyone can point me in the right direction about cleaning it I would be more than happy to give that a go. Im thinking of maybe just buying one and replaceing it and seeing if that makes a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Matt,

sorry to disapoint you , get rid as soon as you can, my T180 07 plate was nothing but trouble , poor fuel econemy again struggeled to get above 33 mpg no matter how careful I drove.Egr valve replaced twice, cleaned twice.Cat replaced .Problems with white smoke and poor MPG eventually the garage came up with a reflash that had just come in from Toyota to do with white smoke , curred it for a while .I got so fed up I got rid .I had an extended warranty and still got problems and garage and Toyota uk could not cure it ,Toyota uk attitude crap, they will just say the MPG can go up or down as per goverment fuel wording - bull****.

Get rid - When I tried to get Toyota to sell it my local rep phoned his local taxi fleet and the boss told him he would not touch that engine as he knows problems .

Sorry to disapoint but look out in the future.

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry my first post is one that is asking questions.. BUT... I have recently purchased a 2007 T180 Avensis with 52 k miles on the clock. Love the car in alot of ways, but am extremely disappointed in others. Firstly the speed from off is appauling, making pulling away from a T junction or roundabout a dicey thing till around 2000 revs when we have lift off.. From looking at this forum I think that might be due to the EGR valve which I will clean this weekend if I get a chance. The second is the fuel economy. I am averaging around 33 miles per gallon. I can have a heavey right foot along with the best of them but generally I accelerate hard to the speed I want and then change up and cruise. I have been driving as economically as possible, I always leave a good distance between me and the car in front so I am not always on and off the brakes and accelerator and still nothing. I can not get the fuel economy beter than 33 no matter if I am on the motorway or A roads or round town. I am coming from a chipped Seat Toledo Tdi 110 and used to regularly return 50 MPG and didnt hang around. The car was quick from the off and was great. The standard in the Avensis is a step change. Its a real luxury in comparison to what I am used to. I did not however expect petrol economy to achieve that however. I have read other threads here with lost of other people complaining of the same thing, I am unable to find anyone confirming what the reason for the poor fuel economy is. Has a solution been found? Does anyone know of anything that might be the problem. Where should I look. It is NOT my driving, or if it is I am unable to drive in such a fashion that will achieve anything like the claimed figures. At this rate I shall have to seel up and get a different car, which will be a shame to say the least.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

I've had my 56 plate t180 since december 2007. Thew car only had 1000 miles on the clock, i've now done a total of 45k. Over the time i've had ecu updates, new injectors, new egr valve, average mpg over the period owned is 33-35mpg. I've managed to get 47mpg ish once but that was hard work and tiring. I do a trip upto the coast most weekends a return trip of around 230 miles. Over the last several trips my dads 06 t3x 1.8 vvt-i does 43mpg without him having to try hard at all. On the same trip i struggle to get more than 37mpg. Several people have come into where i work with rav 4 180's auris 180's lexus is220d's and seem to get the low to mid 30's. A rav 4, 4 wheel drive doing 33mpg, avensis front wheel drive doing the same mpg it does not add up. My previous 1.8 t3x was better on mpg i could drive that hard and still get better mpg than the t180. I've drove the t180 hard and had mpg down to 30. By driving hard changing up at 3600rpm which i beleve is peak bhp. Apart from the poor mpg the car drives well, goes well. Just would like 40mpg with out having to try and the odd 44mpg once in awhile.

The T180 engine is not designed for running around town.

I can easily get 46-50mpg on a run (easier if I use Cruise Control) in 5th 60-65mph - if you cant, then there must be an issue with your driving or the engine (blocked EGR, low tyre pressures etc)

Tyre presaures are all ok on mine, i work in the motor trade had 2 of are tech's take the car out and they still find it hard to get good mpg not just on my t180 but others we have in are workshop. Had egr valve changed a manifold de-coke done 4000 miles ago, still no improvement in mpg. I've managed to get 50 mpg out of 2.0 125bhp d4d's, 45mpg out of 2.2 150 d4d's with out any effort. I know that all people's driving styles are different, and that the 180 is not going to be the best on fuel has with all modern diesels with dpf's. The car is great with brilliant performance, just a bit more mpg has i said in my previous post.

Tyre presaures are all ok on mine, i work in the motor trade had 2 of are tech's take the car out and they still find it hard to get good mpg not just on my t180 but others we have in are workshop. Had egr valve changed a manifold de-coke done 4000 miles ago, still no improvement in mpg. I've managed to get 50 mpg out of 2.0 125bhp d4d's, 45mpg out of 2.2 150 d4d's with out any effort. I know that all people's driving styles are different, and that the 180 is not going to be the best on fuel has with all modern diesels with dpf's. The car is great with brilliant performance, just a bit more mpg has i said in my previous post.

Hi Steve, so I guess looking at your story the best car would be a 2.2 150 d4d running a chip from Partsking, this would give the performance of the 180 and the economy of the 150 which doesn't have dpf. ;).

Just a thought anyway, best regards to all .... Pete.