Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possibly Stupid Question

Jackie888

I picked up my Auris yesterday and was told about the odd ignition sequence! Since I have tried starting it, it takes me several attempts to get it going. I depress both the clutch and brake, but it doesn't start until after I've done it a few times and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't want to take it back to the vendor if I'm just being blonde and missing something, but how hard can it be to start a car??!!

Grateful for any responses

Jackie

I know with mine you just have to hold the clutch down whilst you start it up... its a safety thing that all Toyotas do the dealer said (except aygo I believe)

I picked up my Auris yesterday and was told about the odd ignition sequence! Since I have tried starting it, it takes me several attempts to get it going. I depress both the clutch and brake, but it doesn't start until after I've done it a few times and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't want to take it back to the vendor if I'm just being blonde and missing something, but how hard can it be to start a car??!!

Jackie

You only need to hold the clutch down and turn the ignitionswitch start it :thumbsup:

I know with mine you just have to hold the clutch down whilst you start it up... its a safety thing that all Toyotas do the dealer said (except aygo I believe)

Hi Adam, he told me clutch and brake. I just can't get it to work first time round, so I have to turn the ignition off, try again, nothing, do it again, and again, then eventually it starts. Doing my head in!

Thanks for your reply. Think I will call him or Toyota on Monday

Doesn't sound stupid to me. If it won't start when you simply depress the clutch (and then turn the key) it could be that you have a separate starting problem which is nothing to do with the starting procedure. Has the car done many miles? BMC Minis have the same starting procedure by the way.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Bill

I think it's an ex hire car so it's done 55k. Thing is when I took it for a test drive, the vendor said press the clutch and brake and it did start second time around. I thought I had done it wrong first time. So I'm assuming me pressing the brake aswell isn't causing the problem and it should start.

I can't see that I can get it that wrong, so will get on to Toyota on Monday I think.

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Bill

I think it's an ex hire car so it's done 55k. Thing is when I took it for a test drive, the vendor said press the clutch and brake and it did start second time around. I thought I had done it wrong first time. So I'm assuming me pressing the brake aswell isn't causing the problem and it should start.

I can't see that I can get it that wrong, so will get on to Toyota on Monday I think.

Thanks!

The first few attempts what does it do... absolutely nothing?, or does it try start and just can't so you turn it back to off and try again or?

I press the clutch down, turn the key and it fires up straight away every single time

The first few attempts what does it do... absolutely nothing?, or does it try start and just can't so you turn it back to off and try again or?

I press the clutch down, turn the key and it fires up straight away every single time

Hi Adam

Nothing happens at all

Hi Adam

Nothing happens at all

Hmm odd pop it down to Toyota and ask them to have a look at it! Seems weird, your car is an 07 so will be within warranty still I'd imagen (unless its an early 07)! They could shed more light on the situation

Hmm odd pop it down to Toyota and ask them to have a look at it! Seems weird, your car is an 07 so will be within warranty still I'd imagen (unless its an early 07)! They could shed more light on the situation

I will do and will also call the vendor as he said it was all checked over for faults before I picked it up. I'm hoping it's just me being an idiot!

I will do and will also call the vendor as he said it was all checked over for faults before I picked it up. I'm hoping it's just me being an idiot!

I'm sure it's nothing but if it is, I hear Toyota Cust Serv is brill anyway so I'm sure they'll look after you

Let us know the outcome :)!

Well, I have an update for you. Just went out and tried it with just the clutch and it worked 3 times! Typical. Glad I tried it before ranting at Toyota! Thank you all for your help. Will make sure again tomorrow, just in case, but looks like I was given duff advice :huh:

Not sure about the Auris, but older type vehicles could have the air/petrol mixture upset by pressing the brake. It's all to do with brake servo assistance which gets its 'power' from the engine air intake. You should leave the footbrake alone when starting. Just press the clutch. Still sounds to me as though there is a separate problem. I assume it is petrol not diesel.

Best thing is to do what you say: take it to main agents. They will have a diagnostic machine which they just plug into the car and it will display any faults. All clever stuff, but not infallible. I once had a car which misfired but the diagnostic machine failed to detect that all it needed was a new set of spark plugs!

Best of luck on Monday

Not sure about the Auris, but older type vehicles could have the air/petrol mixture upset by pressing the brake. It's all to do with brake servo assistance which gets its 'power' from the engine air intake. You should leave the footbrake alone when starting. Just press the clutch. Still sounds to me as though there is a separate problem. I assume it is petrol not diesel.

Best thing is to do what you say: take it to main agents. They will have a diagnostic machine which they just plug into the car and it will display any faults. All clever stuff, but not infallible. I once had a car which misfired but the diagnostic machine failed to detect that all it needed was a new set of spark plugs!

Best of luck on Monday

putting foot on brakes should not have any effect on starting.

the servo on a petrol engine uses vacuum from the engine manifold for powering the servo.

a diesel does not produce enough vacuum in its manifold so has a seperate pump to produce it.

i fail to see how you would think this would effect starting.

Jackie

Hi - sounds like you are sorted now but for what it's worth. When my wife collected her Auris no one mentioned the starting procedure!! Yu have to hold the clutch right down hard enough to make contact with a micro-switch whilst starting the car. With her car the switch had to be modified slightly to ensure good contact. But if you just press the clutch down as far as it will go I suspect you will be fine.

Hi all

I spoke too soon. Had problems again this morning, so called the guy I bought it from who tells me I'm doing it wrong. But he was the one who said it was clutch and brake! Getting very annoyed with it. He's told me to bring it in so he can show me what I'm doing wrong. If it's not as simple as pressing the clutch and turning the key, I'm not sure I want to keep the car!

Hi all

I spoke too soon. Had problems again this morning, so called the guy I bought it from who tells me I'm doing it wrong. But he was the one who said it was clutch and brake! Getting very annoyed with it. He's told me to bring it in so he can show me what I'm doing wrong. If it's not as simple as pressing the clutch and turning the key, I'm not sure I want to keep the car!

Kinda ironic though really, by you ringing him saying you can't start it implies you can't drive it anywhere! (I know after a few tries its ok as you said)... bit daft of him though!

Hi all

Hi ...have you tried pushing the clutch down hard and keeping it there while you start the car? There is no other trick involved. If it doesn't work all the time the dealer will need to adjust the switch positon for you - good luck

Hi

That's pretty much what I'm doing. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If it's me being an idiot, then fine as it means the car isn't faulty. He seems pretty insistent I'm doing something wrong though. Will let you know how I get on

Thanks everyone

Jackie

Well Dwilson it looks like you were right, I wasn't pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. So far today, it's started every time, so we will see how I get on from here. Now all I need to figure out is how to change the clock!

Thanks for your help all

Well Dwilson it looks like you were right, I wasn't pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. So far today, it's started every time, so we will see how I get on from here. Now all I need to figure out is how to change the clock!

Thanks for your help all

Glad that helped. I had the same problem at first and it was a nightmare when I stalled and couldn't get it to start again at traffic lights! No problem once I kneew what to do but it was the first car I had driven like that and the dealer forgot to mention it! As I always start manuals with my foot depressing the clutch anyway, it would sometimes start by chance!

Thanks for your help all

Glad that helped. I had the same problem at first and it was a nightmare when I stalled and couldn't get it to start again at traffic lights! No problem once I kneew what to do but it was the first car I had driven like that and the dealer forgot to mention it! As I always start manuals with my foot depressing the clutch anyway, it would sometimes start by chance!

hi dwilson

know what you mean about stalling.didnt have much trouble getting started just pushed button twice the clutch then button again and she started.

only found out by mistake that you could just dip cluch and then press button and bingo.but secomd method you dont get warning lights up first.

but if you stall it seems forever to sort the correct sequence out.if it it happens at traffic lights you get the horn treatment.

Thanks for your help all

hi dwilson

know what you mean about stalling.didnt have much trouble getting started just pushed button twice the clutch then button again and she started.

only found out by mistake that you could just dip cluch and then press button and bingo.but secomd method you dont get warning lights up first.

but if you stall it seems forever to sort the correct sequence out.if it it happens at traffic lights you get the horn treatment.

Hi "acetip". Yes I have experienced the horn treatment twice recently and what a pointless expeience it is :ffs:

The first time was as a passenger with my daughter driving who has recently passed her test and stalled the car - she was trying her best to get going again and was already flustered and embarrassed before the kind person behing hooted!

The second time I was driving my Prius that I had just picked up and was having trouble at some lights....my fault but how did hooting help me? Did the car behind really want me to mess up and roll back into him? Anyway I had a bit of payback on that one as I chugged away on amber leaving him behind.