Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Passenger Side Headlight Bulb.

hawkerpaul

Had our new 2006 Yaris yesterday. Been taking the customary look round today, so looked at the bulbs to see how easy they would be to replace.

The driver's side seems quite easy, but the passenger side one looks a bit of a nightmare as there is a big fusebox in the way directly behind the headlight unit.

Should a bulb go, does the fusebox need to be taken out first, or is it easier to take the headlight unit out and pull it forward to create some space? If the headlight unit needs to come out, is it only the 2 screws holding it in, or is there one hidden under the bumper

thanks

I changed the bulbs in my P1 sr, perfectly do-able but very fiddly!

Not sure on the newer models but it should be similar.

Just take your time and don't lose your temper! :lol:

I think the design might have possibly changed then between models, but the passenger side in mine looks impossible without taking out either the fusebox or the headlight unit. The sidelight and indicator perhaps seem doable, but the headlight bulb seems impossible considering the length of the H4 bulb.

If I do get a headlight bulb blown, then I hope its the driver's side!

Nearside is a fiddle but perfectly do-able in a couple of mins.... Worth doing the drivers side first, so you know exactly what your doing, but no need to remove Battery or fusebox...

I've swapped my bulbs for Philips X-treme vision. They are much brighter than the standard bulbs (these get the best reviews of all the "extra bright bulbs") and they have nice chrome tips that look good in the headlights too...

And you can also swap the indicator bulbs for Philips Silverstar "chrome" indicator bulbs so that you don't get the horrible orange effect inside the indicators.

(Again - the genuine Philips ones are better than the unbraned but cheaper alternatives...)

I usually source both through eBay shops....

I assume the headlight bulbs are H4's?

What about the indicators? Are they 581's. And are they offset or opposite pin?

I prefer the Orsam Diadems to the chrome indicators. They are a pearlescent blue, and are still very bright - I find chrome coated indicator bulbs are much dimmer in comparison.

Headlights are H4s. Indicators are offset pins.

I have both Osram Diadems and the Philips Silverstars. The "cheap" chromed bulbs are dim, but the proper Philips chromed ones are just as bright as the Osrams and the normal indicators.

Suffice to say that I've bought three pairs of Philips silverstars and the osrams are thrown into a cupboard... I'd rather pay another £11 or so and buy an extra set of Philips than use the Osrams that I already have spare...

I find the blue colouring just as annoying as the orange... They'e still not silver and they stand out in the reflectors.... But its all down to personal taste and thankfully, we're all different...

Thought I'd taken a better piccie than this, but you get the idea...

dscf3826.jpg

Yes, they look very nice indeed mate.

Cant say I've heard of Philips SilverStars. Do yo mean Silver Visions?

I do... Being a month short of my Saga membership entitlement, I'm allowed the odd senior moment.....

And here's what they look like lit... You can also see the H4 X-treme Vision headlight bulb - it has a neater, smaller glass envelope than the standard bulb and chromed tip...

dscf5302.jpg

Before the Yaris, the missus had a Citroen Xsara Picaso, and I fitted the H4 Philips X-Tremes in there. They give excellent vision, but to my surprise they only lasted about 12 months before they decided to pack in, both within the space of about 2 months.

I'm tempted to get them for the Yaris due to their excellent light output, but having doubts about their durability. Perhaps the Citroen had a small leak somewhere which caused this, I'm not sure.

You carry a risk with all the high output bulbs - the extra light output always comes at a price of some durability. That said, I haven't had any fail on me yet, but some Osrams I passed on to a friend did fail together shortly after..

The gas inside the bulb is at a higher pressure and the filament is thinner in the brighter bulbs, so they do carry a risk, but I wouldn't have an issue replacing them every 12 months if necessary for the benefit they bring.

The light output of any bulb does dim over time, so replacing them every two or three years anyway isn't a bad idea if you want the best light output..

I assume you're aware that you mustn't touch a bulb glass with your fingers or get any grease or other contaminant on the glass, as that causes hot spots on the glass and will cause it to blow prematurely...

If you do touch a buolb accidentally you're meant to wipe it with methlated spirits to remove any finger marks or other deposits from the glass...

Yes alfie, I'm aware of that thanks. I always wipe the bulb first before fitting whether I've touched it accidentally or not.

I'm still not convinced about being able to get a H4 in the passenger side without moving something though. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and give it a go! :blink: