Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Power Steering

RajT

My wife has a 2001 Yaris with no power steering, is it possible to retro fit power steering into this car? If so any advice/help would be appreciated

Cheers

You will need:

new rack probably easier to use hydraulic and not electrical..

Power steering drive pulley, new drive belt .

Maybe new track rod ends. (comes with entire used rack)

Various piping.Power steering reservoir..and fluid.

Power steering drive mounting.. I assume engine has relevant holes drilled?

Maybe new rack bushes ...

Check tracking at end..

Find a scrap yard with a good one..

With tracking and fluid, the cheapest I can see it if you DIY is £75 - £100.. If you are not a competent DIY, I would expect 3-4 hours labour at £50...

Don't know how difficult it is to change a rack..Haynes suggests removing subframe but then suggest it may not be needed...!

:g:

I'm not as confident as Madasafish, yes it would be possible but there is a lot of work involved. It's not a case of just finding any old hydraulic rack, but finding something that is the correct length AND something that will fit in the right place so it can be mounted up, then you have the problem of the steering column matching the rack, let alone finding a suitable mounting bracket to mount the pump on the engine. As for time wise, removing the old rack etc wont take long but you would need to factor in considerably more time in finding a suitable replacement, and trial and error matching it up to the car, there is no way on earth that you could do it all in 3-4 hours, no chance!

My advice would be to buy a new model with PAS fitted already, the costs of buying second hand parts is very hit and miss IMHO

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kingo is of course correct.

I had assumed that you would source the correct parts from an online scrappie for your model which I assume is a 1.0S . So you would need parts for a 1.0GS or similar with PAS>

What about retrofitting it to have 4WD? :D

The last comment was just silly! :rolleyes:

Might as well have suggested fitting an engine in the boot and having rear wheel drive/steer!! :eek:

I would either live with it or upgrade to a model with it fitted as standard... Sorry! :ffs: