Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monitoring Engine Temperature And Range

dwilson

Hi. I am gradually coming up to speed with my Gen 2 Prius but I can't find any display of the petrol engine temperature...is there one? Also is there a meter that gives the estimated range of fuel remaining? I know there are the bars on the the fuel gauge but I have no idea what each bar represents. I have just filled it up from about half a tank because I want to start using Fuelly.

Thanks for your help ( I have looked in the manual ! )

Hi. I am gradually coming up to speed with my Gen 2 Prius but I can't find any display of the petrol engine temperature...is there one? Also is there a meter that gives the estimated range of fuel remaining? I know there are the bars on the the fuel gauge but I have no idea what each bar represents. I have just filled it up from about half a tank because I want to start using Fuelly.

No, you can't display engine temperature.

There is a digital display of miles left, but I can't remember how to get at it on the Gen II.

There is a digital display of miles left, but I can't remember how to get at it on the Gen II.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will go and search for the miles left display later today :thumbsup:

By the way from reading another of your posts, I had a 1960 Ford Popular in about 1973, 3 forward gears, side valves, and windscreen wipers running off the exhaust outlet (or something like that). Think I paid £50 and sold it after several years for £25.

Can anyone help me out on this please - how do you get to the digital display of miles left on the Gen II?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick reply. I will go and search for the miles left display later today :thumbsup:

By the way from reading another of your posts, I had a 1960 Ford Popular in about 1973, 3 forward gears, side valves, and windscreen wipers running off the exhaust outlet (or something like that). Think I paid £50 and sold it after several years for £25.

hi

the wipers your talking about were vacuum operated some cars had a tank to give some reserve but when you were pulling up hill and the vacuum dropped off the wipers stopped.most inconvenient.

as a non prius owner if there is no temp gauge,do you have a warning light to give a warning when temp is too high.

had a vw derby that was same as polo but had a proper boot,it had no temp gauge only a warning light,so i fitted a

smiths duel gauge that had coolant temp and oil preeure.although i say it myself i looked very neat in the dash.

but i may have got it wrong and you are talking outside temp.if so please forgive a silly old sod.

Hi as far as I know the Gen 2 will not display miles left in tank

hi

the wipers your talking about were vacuum operated some cars had a tank to give some reserve but when you were pulling up hill and the vacuum dropped off the wipers stopped.most inconvenient.

as a non prius owner if there is no temp gauge,do you have a warning light to give a warning when temp is too high.

had a vw derby that was same as polo but had a proper boot,it had no temp gauge only a warning light,so i fitted a

smiths duel gauge that had coolant temp and oil preeure.although i say it myself i looked very neat in the dash.

but i may have got it wrong and you are talking outside temp.if so please forgive a silly old sod.

Hi again. Yes they were vacuum operated and very inconvenient...I remember overtaking in the rain, seeing another car coming the other way and having to briefly lift off the accelerator to give a single wipe to judge how far away the other car was...scary stuff!

It is the engine temperature that seems not to indicated. Lots of other info though - including the outside temperature.

No, the Prius doesn't have an engine temperature gauge. It would probably just be another source of concern for most owners?

If you want to know the engine temperature, petrol engine RPM, and many other parameters you would need to buy a third-party gadget that plugs into a diagnostic socket (DLC3) - one self contained unit, an SGII, has already been mentioned in one of these threads, there other gadgets, and even DIY solutions.

• Like 1

No, the Prius doesn't have an engine temperature gauge. It would probably just be another source of concern for most owners?

If you want to know the engine temperature, petrol engine RPM, and many other parameters you would need to buy a third-party gadget that plugs into a diagnostic socket (DLC3) - one self contained unit, an SGII, has already been mentioned in one of these threads, there other gadgets, and even DIY solutions.

hi tinberwolf

if your stuck in slow moving traffic on M25 and your electric radiator fan fails to cut in ( had it happen once )the fist you will know thats something is up when your engines starts boiling.

i know that you have electric motor for slower speeds,but when i get enough money to purchase a prius the first thing i will do is fit a temp gauge. a temp gauge gives advanced warning if something such as above or leaking hoses,faulty thermostat etc.

Instead of a dedicated temp gauge, check out 3rd party gadgets (like scangauge II). As mentioned by Timberwolf, these plug into the diagnostic port (under the steering column I believe) and can sit on the dash. You can monitor various items as required. Scangauge II can do 4 at a time.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/sg2photos/index.shtml

hi tinberwolf

if your stuck in slow moving traffic on M25 and your electric radiator fan fails to cut in ( had it happen once )the fist you will know thats something is up when your engines starts boiling.

i know that you have electric motor for slower speeds,but when i get enough money to purchase a prius the first thing i will do is fit a temp gauge. a temp gauge gives advanced warning if something such as above or leaking hoses,faulty thermostat etc.

For a fan failure, you'd most likely get an engine check light on the dash and a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) stored and there seem to be a number of DTCs related to the radiator fan.

Given the complexity of the computer management of the hybrid system, the temperature gauge could read low, but be normal in a particular situation. I would guess that most Prius owners do not frequent forums such as TOC, and putting in a temperature gauge as standard, would either require additional explanation in the Owner's Manual about how to interpret the temperature, or more trips to the garage by worried owners.

hi tinberwolf

For a fan failure, you'd most likely get an engine check light on the dash and a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) stored and there seem to be a number of DTCs related to the radiator fan.

Given the complexity of the computer management of the hybrid system, the temperature gauge could read low, but be normal in a particular situation. I would guess that most Prius owners do not frequent forums such as TOC, and putting in a temperature gauge as standard, would either require additional explanation in the Owner's Manual about how to interpret the temperature, or more trips to the garage by worried owners.

hi timberwolf

most other toyota models have temp gauges. i cant imagine toyota dealers are inundated with concerned owners of

these models.as for owners manuel explanations, we have all seen postings on all forums of owners asking questions that could be simply answered by just taking the trouble to read their owners manuel.

there has been two owners asking how much oil they need for a oil change,do they think toyota would not supply this in their manuel.this baffles me.

i suppose its the VICTOR MELDREW in me