Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Avensis Diagnostic Socket Type.

Avensis 1999

Hi, can anyone tell me what type of diagnostic socket is on my Avensis GLS 1999 1.8 (7AFE). I am looking to buy a bluetooth OBD code reader, but there is a choice of OBD, EOBD, OBDII plugs.

And can anyone briefly explain the difference between them all.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

Hi, can anyone tell me what type of diagnostic socket is on my Avensis GLS 1999 1.8 (7AFE). I am looking to buy a bluetooth OBD code reader, but there is a choice of OBD, EOBD, OBDII plugs.

And can anyone briefly explain the difference between them all.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, go to this link all will be explained http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Regards, Pete.

Hi Alan, go to this link all will be explained http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Regards, Pete.

Thanks pete :thumbsup: . But im still confused ! I have looked at my pin outs on the socket, i have 1,4,6,7,9,11,13,14,16 the other pins have no metal terminals.

EOBD is 2001 onwards, so is mine OBDII (can). why is it soooo confusing or am I being thick here ?

Thanks for your help.

It'll be an ODB2 socket but confusingly not OBD2. The sockets were fitted as the American market had full OBD much earlier than the UK market. 1999 I reckon you'll get flash codes rather than OBD2 and the readers will not read much if anything. Bent bit of paperclip, cheap as chips.

It'll be an ODB2 socket but confusingly not OBD2. The sockets were fitted as the American market had full OBD much earlier than the UK market. 1999 I reckon you'll get flash codes rather than OBD2 and the readers will not read much if anything. Bent bit of paperclip, cheap as chips.

Thanks for the reply, ok so its an OBD2 socket but not OBD2 codes, I understand a little bit more now.

Let me explain why I ask, I can get a car diagnostic app for my phone (android markets) which will communicate via a bluetooth OBD...EOBD...OBDII code reader which ive seen on eBay. The app gives all sorts of readings, kinda like a souped up dashboard, Nissan Skyline style :thumbsup: yes I am a bit of a boy racer !!

I spoke to a RAC breakdown bloke today, who said my socket was EOBD, he said the E being 'European', anyway he hooked up his laptop, but it was unable to communicate with my car :crybaby:

So I am now wondering if the app/bluetooth reader will actually work on my vehicle. Its only gonna cost around £25 for both items, but if it aint gonna work it will be a waste of time and money.

So do you reckon I'm wasting my time on this little project !

Thanks for your help guys.

Hi,

Well all you need is a piece of wire and the codes will display on the dashboard lights - not need for any readers - most of which will not work anyway as you have already found out.

See this link for details and codesMy link