Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs.... Just A Thought !

Avensis 1999

Hello All,

When I drove onto a petrol station forecourt the other day, my ABS kicked in, due to the wheel skidding on a wet manhole cover. Its very rare that I brake sharply enough for it to work.

This got me thinking.... Broadly speaking, if mechanical items are left for long periods they could sieze up.

So does anyone think its worth deliberately getting the ABS to work now and again, in order to keep it working properly.

Regards

Alan

Mmmm. Cud be a point Alan, whenever I get a new car I always try it out, but then never come across it in normal driving, maybe it would be an idea to try it now and again!

The ABS controller is electronic and constantly monitors wheel speed as long as the car is being driven plus if the pressure distrution system failed an ABS fault would come up. The ABS system is constantly working but its affect is usually only noticed during heavy braking or in case of very poor grip on surfaces such as ice or wet manhole covers.

So in reality there is little point in checking of it works OK. It's pretty well much self-checking.:)

It certainly is, but I must add that the actuator itself very much so is a mechanical device.

It might be a good idea to try it out every now and then anyways, to be sure you know/remember what it feels like to handle the car when it's slippery.

So find your self a nice gravel road and step on it. :)

Well, isn't there some kind of self test for the ABS system

when you first pull off in the morning?

There is a clonking sound coming from the engine bay.

Guess I saw something about it on these forums.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links