Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended Warranty Worth The Money?

Tametiger

I bought my 57 reg T180 a few weeks ago with a 12-month used car warranty from the dealer. I today received info from Toyota HQ about an extended offer warranty for £23 a month. Looking through the list of exclusions there seem to be a lot of items not covered. Anyone else bought one of these warranties and are they worth the money?

There are very few exclusions on a Toyota extended warranty compared to an off the peg extended warranty. Of course the usual wear and tear will be excluded but in general, it gives you like for like cover of the original warranty. There are also other benefits such as club Toyota breakdown cover, car hire, MOT test cover etc etc EXTENDED WARRANTY You could never buy off the peg extended warranty with the same full benefits. Like all insurance cover, it is a waste of money until the day you need it, so it has to be a personal choice, either pay £23 per month or put the £23 aside every month and use that money should you need to pay for any repairs

Kingo :thumbsup:

If you search the forum you will other threads on this subject but Kingo is spot on. I have paid over £700 over hte last two years and never had to claim -but I have had breakdown cover (used twice) and I have chosen to renew for another two years. If I never make a claim, I will have lost over £1500 but I will have had peace of mind. You don't take out an extended warranty on a £50 iron (do you?) but you do insure your house. Your choice as to where you draw the line.

If you search the forum you will other threads on this subject but Kingo is spot on. I have paid over £700 over hte last two years and never had to claim -but I have had breakdown cover (used twice) and I have chosen to renew for another two years. If I never make a claim, I will have lost over £1500 but I will have had peace of mind. You don't take out an extended warranty on a £50 iron (do you?) but you do insure your house. Your choice as to where you draw the line.

Kingo and you both have it spot on. If you change a car every 3 years then no point in the ex. Warranty, but if you keep a car longer it may be worth it... What the situation is now that Mr T is giving 5 year warranties i've no idea though....

hi ya

as the others say....these warranties generally are a waste of money until you need them.

after my toyota extended warranty expired,i took out a warranty from 'warranty wise' about a year ago now,just incase my flywheel gave up.

the flywheel did (as expected) give up the ghost,and i claimed for it from w.wise,and they didnt pay up.. :angry:

turned out that i had to actually break down unexpectedly..to be able to claim....,and not claim as preventative maintenance..which they will not allow :rolleyes:

and i viewed all the videos that quentin wilson advertises,sounds very reasuring..but it aint worth it

hence..i have now stopped my cover,and will just pay up when needed to.

...and speaking of DMFs I had the "good fortune" to help change one in my garage last weekend!

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

I'll get round to doing a review at some stage!!!

the flywheel did (as expected) give up the ghost,and i claimed for it from w.wise,and they didnt pay up.. :angry:

turned out that i had to actually break down unexpectedly..to be able to claim....,and not claim as preventative maintenance..which they will not allow :rolleyes:

The reason for that is that ALL off the peg warranty policies are insurance polices and cover ONLY parts listed in the their warranty list, IF THEY SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING FAIL. This can be interpreted how you like but what it means is that a DMF that suddenly lets go and stops you driving might well be covered, but if its noisy and doesnt fail, then it might not be covered.

The difference with EXTENDED warranty is that it is an extension of the manufacturers warranty, covers far more, and you dont get these stupid reasons to nulify what you might think is a legitimate claim. Manufacturers warranties are more expensive, but they cover far more componants and you do get other benefits too

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my 57 reg T180 a few weeks ago with a 12-month used car warranty from the dealer. I today received info from Toyota HQ about an extended offer warranty for £23 a month. Looking through the list of exclusions there seem to be a lot of items not covered. Anyone else bought one of these warranties and are they worth the money?

Are you really being offered a one year extended warranty from Toyota for £23 per month?

Reason I ask is I got the letter in, and for my 57 plate T180 <10,000 miles option was:

* £41.40 x 12 months (direct debit) or

* £414 annually (direct debit) or

* £460 (no direct debit).

Don't know whay a 1 year warranty would need an annual direct debit..? And so why the annual one-of payment is more expensive than the annual direct debit?

Are you really being offered a one year extended warranty from Toyota for £23 per month?

Reason I ask is I got the letter in, and for my 57 plate T180 <10,000 miles option was:

* £41.40 x 12 months (direct debit) or

* £414 annually (direct debit) or

* £460 (no direct debit).

Don't know whay a 1 year warranty would need an annual direct debit..? And so why the annual one-of payment is more expensive than the annual direct debit?

I bought my 1998 Freesport recently as they were amongst the most reliable vehicles I could afford.

It is too old to get a warranty now anyway but I don't ever remember regretting not having one in 40 years of driving.

If it is serviced properly the chances of an expensive failure are quite slim I have found on all my cars.

Too many get out clauses when you read carefully.

Dave.

I had to make that choice myself last year 2006 -T180. I now work in the marine industry (as a warranty manager) but I'm a refugee from the motor trade so I know that mechanical parts are relatively easy to fix yourself or by your local indie, but having Ummmed and Arrghed and then counted the number of "brains" under the bonnet.. I bit the bullet and bought a Mr T warranty.

Searching back through the posts on warranty you will find my reply from Mr T regarding faulty brake discs and pads.. Even Mr T has the fair-ware and tear clause and the disc's would have been covered if they had failed.

If the disc's had failed then a new car and underpants would probably have been in order!

Checking my warranty policy document, I see I have a £28K warranty limit. New Hilux then???

New Hilux then???

Hmm... I fancied one, but was told by a Toyota techy to stick to the T180.

Anyway, my real point was how did Tametiger get offered a Toyota extended warranty for £23 per month, and I had a quote for £41 per month?

I'm thinking over the 2 year warranty (no 10% discount on this :( ) but I was then thinking that Bothy's "The Garage" friends are just a few miles down the road from me, and they could handle anything that goes wrong. So is a fully serviced, 20k mile T180 likely to go wrong in the next 2 years? I would hope not. And if it did, it would probably be the consumable bits that would be outside of the parts covered by warranty.

Ummm. Time to flip a coin.

New Hilux then???

Hmm... I fancied one, but was told by a Toyota techy to stick to the T180.

Anyway, my real point was how did Tametiger get offered a Toyota extended warranty for £23 per month, and I had a quote for £41 per month?

I have the retail warranty price list in front of me now! 12mth limited mileage (10,000) vehicle LESS than 3yr old £460 unlimited mileage £510.. vehicle 3/7yrs old £525 ltd to 10000 pa unlimited £580..2yr extended unlimited £885 + ltd to 20,000 £780.. so if i can get cover for £23 per mth count me in :thumbsup: Stew.....

Whats NOT COVERED 1 serviceable items 2 drive belt adj 3 brake + clutch adj + replacement due to wear 4 glass breakage 5 bulbs 6 window + doorlock adj 7 paint + bodywork 8 interior trim 9 exhaust corrosion 10 road wheels :eek: