Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stick Or Twist For New Rav-4

cabsandy

I asked this question a few years ago-whether to sell the 05 XTR I have at the moment or upgrade.At the time, I decided to stick with it and have had relatively trouble free motoring (had to replace a fuel injection part-£200-and a few tyres) but nothing to grumble about.So 4 years and 60,000 miles later (now 76,000 in total) and a fresh, no problem MOT completed, I'm in a quandry again.I'm starting to hear noises that sound like the dreaded DMF problem and have been quoted £1200 to fix (£750 parts and £300+VAT to install). Even then, I'm not put off as this car has driven me all over the UK, never failed to start, never broke down.

My question is, if I were to keep it, what other problems can I expect if I run the car for another 2-3 years? I like the bodyshape and I'm not too keen on the 06 onwards looks wise. If someone could say, under normal circumstances, there would be no more major replacements then I would keep it. I'm looking at £8000-10000 to p/e on this machine for a 07/08 XTR (been to a few dealers) so my economic head is saying even if I pay £2000-3000 over the next few years, I'm still quids in. The bodywork wont rust and I expect the engine to keep on going-plus the monthly depreciation on the new RAV looks as bad as this one (been told it loses value about £250-£300 a month!).

I would welcome anybody running the same sort of aged car, or older, and let me know what else I can expect to go wrong.

PS-on the extended warranty front, I take it you cant jump back in 2 years after the 3 year one has expired? :rolleyes:

cheers cabs

wot a wonderful problem!!

My 2 1994 RAVs are staying put until I get banned from driving! Altho my major problem now is my bum is too big for the Cobra Monaco seat!!

I'd tend to hold, but thats my opinion.

Well now thats a good one! I guess we could use a crystal ball but in the absense.......

......as you say - if you have to change the DMF your certainly giving yourself another 50k and the normal problems of SCVs and VSVs come nowhere near the cost of a new motor. However, it won't harm to go and drive a newer RAV as they really are a stepped change in terms of technology and safety. Then decide :thumbsup:

I asked this question a few years ago-whether to sell the 05 XTR I have at the moment or upgrade.At the time, I decided to stick with it and have had relatively trouble free motoring (had to replace a fuel injection part-£200-and a few tyres) but nothing to grumble about.So 4 years and 60,000 miles later (now 76,000 in total) and a fresh, no problem MOT completed, I'm in a quandry again.I'm starting to hear noises that sound like the dreaded DMF problem and have been quoted £1200 to fix (£750 parts and £300+VAT to install). Even then, I'm not put off as this car has driven me all over the UK, never failed to start, never broke down.

My question is, if I were to keep it, what other problems can I expect if I run the car for another 2-3 years? I like the bodyshape and I'm not too keen on the 06 onwards looks wise. If someone could say, under normal circumstances, there would be no more major replacements then I would keep it. I'm looking at £8000-10000 to p/e on this machine for a 07/08 XTR (been to a few dealers) so my economic head is saying even if I pay £2000-3000 over the next few years, I'm still quids in. The bodywork wont rust and I expect the engine to keep on going-plus the monthly depreciation on the new RAV looks as bad as this one (been told it loses value about £250-£300 a month!).

I would welcome anybody running the same sort of aged car, or older, and let me know what else I can expect to go wrong.

PS-on the extended warranty front, I take it you cant jump back in 2 years after the 3 year one has expired? :rolleyes:

cheers cabs

IMO stick with what you have I personally think the 4.2 was all round a better motor reliability wise.

"PS-on the extended warranty front, I take it you cant jump back in 2 years after the 3 year one has expired? :rolleyes:"

You most certainly can, :yes: you can take out an extended warranty at any time just so long as its under 7 yrs old I dont have the details to hand but contact Mr T for details :thumbsup: Stew... PS be carefull tho a lot of faults may not be covered under fair wear+tear :unsure:

me is a big fan of sticking with what you know. I've bought 5 trucks in the past 6 months and know how sore it is finding out the hidden problems. But once they are fixed then its loads more predictable.

You get to know a car/vehicle when you have had it a while so you get to understand the noises that indicate a problem.

from what I learn from the guys who tune up high performance cars, and also work on normal cars, the recent ones are just simply more of a nightmare when they go wrong. Loads of examples of bad build quality ranging from latest Ford transits/ Renault Trucks/ Vauxhall Corsa/ peugeot 307 / and the list is endless.

Hi guys,

Really appreciate the replies and good to see this forum is as good and as friendly as ever. I have driven the new type (albeit 15 miles in about 15 minutes) and I didn't find a lot of difference, to be honest. It all felt very familar, which I suppose is a good thing.

Speaking to my local garage (not Toyota but very good and very busy), they say they have fitted a few DMF's that have been replicas? Does that make sense? But they say they wouldn't recommend it as they tend to fail after about 6 months, if the intention is to keep the car. What's the opinion, if such a thing exists, of getting one from a breakers year, if it can be proved to have come from a low mileage model?

I'm driving to Darlington today so hopefully all will be ok! :thumbsup:

cheers

cabs

Whatever you do, don't fit a second hand DMF. You can get new ones of eBay for around £300 with all the bits and pieces thrown in.

Whatever you do, don't fit a second hand DMF. You can get new ones of ebay for around £300 with all the bits and pieces thrown in.

Also one or two members have fitted SMFs (solid flywheels) with no negative results, other than DIY, the cheapest anyone appears to have paid to have the DMF problem sorted seems to be about £800.. Further to your stick or twist question, I have owned all three versions 4.1 3dr petrol 4.2 5dr diesel 07 5dr diesel + have driven Anchs latest 150 bhp version which frankly is a cut above the rest :yes: I have had no problems with any of them although TBH my prior 2 ravs had only 25000mls on them when i changed.. Having now been on this site a couple of years the only recurring faults on the 4.2 seem to be DMF (diesel) and SCVs..Whereas on the 4.3 there have been numerous reports of.. runflats (T180).. brake problems (discs + pads)..steering column problems..EGRs clogging up..water pumps seeping..head gaskets failing..alloy wheels coroding + sump oil leaks, To be fair none of these other than runflats (t180) have affected all owners + I can only remember 2 reports of head gaskets failing, whereas the DMF problem (4.2 diesel) affects virtualy everyone sooner or later however once this has been sorted IMO you should be left with a great motor, And don't forget to factor depreciation into your decision :thumbsup: Stew

An update-not too sure if this is good or bad :-)

Went to the local dealer (who I have bought Toyota cars off but not the Rav-although it has been serviced there) who was sympathetic and polite but has a poker face who would do well in the UN security council-gave nothing away ;-)His answer was if I bought it in, at a cost of £177 inc VAT, they would perform a diagnosis and submit a report to Toyota UK customer relations and see if they would either replace the DMF free of charge or put something towards it-all as a goodwill gesture. So it really is stick or twist-if I get it done, and they dont replace it, I'm £177 down and probably then locked into them for the replacement out of my pocket (they quoted £1205 as compared to £1220 for my local garage). Or do I just go down the road of getting an OME type replacement for £415 off Ebay and letting the local garage charge me £300 for fitting it?

As an aside, they wouldn't entertain the thought of taking out an extended warranty and then putting it under that (worth a try-lol).One other thing-I'm not adverse to paying them to look at it but £177 seems a bit steep for 2 hours work? That's what he said as I questioned him on it-£80 an hour? I'm comparing this to £290+VAT for the local garage who say it will take 9.2 man hours to complete the whole job. But this £177 would come off the final bill, if I decided to get it fixed by the dealer, if Toyota UK don't come forward with the goodwill gesture.

Appreciate your thoughts as ever guys!

cheers

cabs

Its a good one!

What do you get exactly for your £177? It took me a 15 miniute drive around the block to convince myself that my mates dmf had gone and then the proof of the pudding was in the 9 or so hours it took to replace it. In that case I can't just think what you will get for your money unless they are talking about removing the gearbox. In that case - yes you are committed.

The cheapest option I can see is buy one yourself for £300 and get the local to fit it. I helped my mate do his and it took every ounce of my strength to lift that box and his burly son had the heavy side. However, if you feel brave you could do it for the price of the parts. Me personally..............

.....well I'll be happy if I never see another!

Update-this is driving me round the bend so I've booked it into the local dealership for a 1 hour diagnostic check-not sure what I'm going to be told but I need to do something-at a cost of £80.

But here's the rub-I was driving the kids to school this morning-usual rumble, gets really bad when going up to a junction in 2nd gear. I stopped outside the shops and stalled the car-doh. My initial thoughts were "that's it, it's gone". I then engaged gear and thought "that feels a bit smoooth". Drove it back up to the house and again at dinner time and the noise has dissapeared! Ok,the noise under hard acceleration is still there (this was diagnosed originally as an internal baffle in the exhaust had went but I think not) but the real noise has gone.

So it's booked in-only God knows what I'll be told.On that note, I spoke to another dealer this morning and they refused point blank to entertain anything, as the car was well out of warranty,even producing a report to TUK-which the original dealer has said is not a problem? I don't get the disparity between "official" dealers-dont they work to the same process? And finally, this 2nd dealer said they hadn't changed a clutch/flywheel in ages and gave me the impression they thought I was your usual mechanically illiterate punter who'd seen something on T'Internet and was a babbling fool. They said they'd never heard or seen the DMF as a major issue on the RAV's

very confused

cabs

Wait and see what dealer 1 says.

Dealer 2..........eejit.