Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Road Trip App

AYGOgummy

Hi guys,

Just been trying to work out my Aygo's fuel economy. Some of you will know I use an iPhone app called 'Road Trip'. However, I've just stumbled on something. When I'm working my economy out, for the past 8 months, I've been applying my fuel cost (pence per litre), total cost (total fill up) and coupling this with the mileage I did on the last tank. However, I've found another website (fueleconomy.co.uk) which tells me I should be entering my fuel cost (pence per litre), total cost (to fill up) from the last fill-up and how many miles that tank took me, to find my average fuel economy.

I appreciate that all sounds stupidly confusing... but I'm worried I might've been giving myself false fuel economy results - i.e I could be getting better economy than I think! Anyone any wiser on this topic? I know it's a silly question.

:)

ummm.... I've read that post a few times now & they both seem to say the same thing?

Price per litre,

cost to top the tank up,

& miles diven since the last top up.

I convert litters put in to uk gallons 4.456 liters to the gallon I think, divide miles travelled by that result and hopefully get a reasonable figure !!

the 'app' sounds right as the website says to use mileage and cost to fill BOTH AT LAST FILL UP

in my eyes you take the cost per litre and the mileage you have covered since last fill up then the amount of fuel put in THIS TIME IE how far you travelled and how much fuel you used to do that SINCE LAST FILL UP!

hope that clarifies it!

by the way - I only get about 40 mpg so don't know why so poor (have toyota alloys, a sub box and mmt otherwise std)

cheers

Create a FUELLY account and let everybody see your MPG, it works it all out for you, be sure to set UK figures (litres and £££) etc

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi guys,

Just been trying to work out my Aygo's fuel economy. Some of you will know I use an iPhone app called 'Road Trip'. However, I've just stumbled on something. When I'm working my economy out, for the past 8 months, I've been applying my fuel cost (pence per litre), total cost (total fill up) and coupling this with the mileage I did on the last tank. However, I've found another website (fueleconomy.co.uk) which tells me I should be entering my fuel cost (pence per litre), total cost (to fill up) from the last fill-up and how many miles that tank took me, to find my average fuel economy.

I appreciate that all sounds stupidly confusing... but I'm worried I might've been giving myself false fuel economy results - i.e I could be getting better economy than I think! Anyone any wiser on this topic? I know it's a silly question.

Like Jas's comment I'm confused? Unless you're trying to wind us all up? :wacko: Both your methods above result in exactly the same thing?

The only way to properly work out your mpg is...

1) Fill your tank to the brim,

2) zero your tripometer,

3) drive until you need to refuel (ideally as far as possible to give an accurate reading)

4) Fill your tank to the brim again (remember to hold onto the receipt and note mileage from the trip on it)

5) Divide number of litres by 4.54 to give you number of gallons

6) Divide number of miles driven by number of gallons to get your MPG.

e.g 32 litres divided by 4.54 = 7.05 gallons. 400 miles divided by 7.05 = 56.7mpg

An even easier way is to enter the info from your receipt into a website that does it all for you, e.g fuelly I also use the free app "Road Trip" Both of these systems have the benefit of allowing you to track your mpg over time & require no maths. :yahoo:

Hi guys,

Like Jas's comment I'm confused? Unless you're trying to wind us all up? :wacko: Both your methods above result in exactly the same thing?

2) zero your tripometer,

3) drive until you need to refuel (ideally as far as possible to give an accurate reading)

4) Fill your tank to the brim again (remember to hold onto the receipt and note mileage from the trip on it)

e.g 32 litres divided by 4.54 = 7.05 gallons. 400 miles divided by 7.05 = 56.7mpg

An even easier way is to enter the info from your receipt into a website that does it all for you, e.g fuelly I also use the free app "Road Trip" Both of these systems have the benefit of allowing you to track your mpg over time & require no maths. :yahoo:

Sorry fellas, I should've been clearer (I was speaking what I was thinking!)... what I was saying was that the way I'd been working it in the app was like this:

On the day I'd fill up, I would enter my mileage (since last fill up) as well as the figures from today's fill-up (pence per litre, total litres I've put in today). The website was telling me to enter my mileage (since last fill up), coupled with the figures from that last fill up (pence per litre, total litres I put in for that tank), in essence giving an average fuel economy for that stint of fuel, and how many miles I managed to travel on that tank. I've probably confused you all even more now :P anyway...

I would sit and work it out with a calculator etc but the app is accurate and just makes the whole thing easier... I think I'd just been using it incorrectly. I averaged 55.9 mpg (55.87 to be precise) on the last tank, managed 462 miles on 37.59 litres of fuel (despite the manual saying the tank is 35 litres... it varies every time). So I think that's probably the way of working it out.

Thanks for your replies, and sorry I probably made everyone's head hurt! :)

Hi guys,

2) zero your tripometer,

Sorry fellas, I should've been clearer (I was speaking what I was thinking!)... what I was saying was that the way I'd been working it in the app was like this:

On the day I'd fill up, I would enter my mileage (since last fill up) as well as the figures from today's fill-up (pence per litre, total litres I've put in today). The website was telling me to enter my mileage (since last fill up), coupled with the figures from that last fill up (pence per litre, total litres I put in for that tank), in essence giving an average fuel economy for that stint of fuel, and how many miles I managed to travel on that tank. I've probably confused you all even more now :P anyway...

I would sit and work it out with a calculator etc but the app is accurate and just makes the whole thing easier... I think I'd just been using it incorrectly. I averaged 55.9 mpg (55.87 to be precise) on the last tank, managed 462 miles on 37.59 litres of fuel (despite the manual saying the tank is 35 litres... it varies every time). So I think that's probably the way of working it out.

The app doesn't obviously make it easier, you are now posting questions about it when you could be doing a calculation of total number of miles driven / gallons used or litres. How simply is that?

Andy

Fill to pump cut off, note to mileage, note litres, zero trip, enter figures in fuelly. Doesen't improve the consumption though :(

Hi guys,

2) zero your tripometer,

The app doesn't obviously make it easier, you are now posting questions about it when you could be doing a calculation of total number of miles driven / gallons used or litres. How simply is that?

Andy

Actually, it does make it easier for me, thanks. I was asking a simple question. I don't have the time to sit doing calculations, and besides, this App works out other stuff such as maintenance costs, how much the car costs to run per day, all sorts of other useful information. Besides I've worked it out now :) , I know what I'm doing. Some of the responses on here were useful, thanks to those guys. :)