Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow Bar For A 4.3 2.2 Diesel

OldRaver

I currently have a 4.2 manual diesel with a tow bar and detachable hitch. Not completely convenient when hitching up the caravan but works OK. Just wondered if any one had experience of a tow hitch on the 4.3? The position of the number plate looks as if it could be a problem. I'm thinking about changing up to a 4.3 manual diesel sometime in October/November but don't want to do it if it is going to be a big problem. Any thoughts please? Thanks.

I currently have a 4.2 manual diesel with a tow bar and detachable hitch. Not completely convenient when hitching up the caravan but works OK. Just wondered if any one had experience of a tow hitch on the 4.3? The position of the number plate looks as if it could be a problem. I'm thinking about changing up to a 4.3 manual diesel sometime in October/November but don't want to do it if it is going to be a big problem. Any thoughts please? Thanks.

Hi,

I have a 4.3 XT5 2.2 D-4D to which I have fitted a Thule ( used to be Brinks ) tow bar with detachable hitch. The whole arrangement is very convienient and the door opens part way with the trailer on ( the jockey wheel handle stops it from fully opening ). I don't think that the car would pass an MOT with the tow hitch in place so there is little option but to use a detachable version. I've said it before several times on here, but, if you fit the electrics yourself it is well worth buying the wiring kit from Parts King. Dead easy to fit and absolutely reliable and waterproof. I actually tow very rarely ( a light trailer ) but carry my bike(s) on a tow ball mounted rack.

We can find you the instructions for doing all that. I helped my mate with fitting a genuine Toyota detachable hitch and the proper wiring loom the other night on his posh Avensis. It wasn't cheap at £380 but oh boy the quality. You could pull a Scania out of the mud with that and when fitted it is invisible;

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

BTW its behind that stiffener for the bumper!

If its detachable, don't worry about the number plate.

• 2 weeks later...

I,ve just fitted a Witter tow bar to my 06 XT4 with the rear mounted spare wheel. To answer your question, The tow ball does slightly obscure the rear number plate but its easy enough to remove the complete towing arm which is only held on by 2 19mm bolts. The rear door opens and closes as normal with the bar fitted.

The Witter part number is TY147b. The actual fitment only took me 2 1/2 hours and it was done outside on the ground without the luxury of a ramp. The most time consuming thing was clearing the "gunge" out of the metric 12x1.25 holes in the bottom of the rear chassis legs. Other than that, it was straightforward enough.

I tow a caravan with an Alko stabiliser fitted and with using the proper Alko tow ball, there is sufficient clearance from the spare wheel carrier which i didnt have on my last 02 RAV.

Also, the 2.2 tows superb, well geared and quiet. So far so good.

I,ve just fitted a Witter tow bar to my 06 XT4 with the rear mounted spare wheel. To answer your question, The tow ball does slightly obscure the rear number plate but its easy enough to remove the complete towing arm which is only held on by 2 19mm bolts. The rear door opens and closes as normal with the bar fitted.

The Witter part number is TY147b. The actual fitment only took me 2 1/2 hours and it was done outside on the ground without the luxury of a ramp. The most time consuming thing was clearing the "gunge" out of the metric 12x1.25 holes in the bottom of the rear chassis legs. Other than that, it was straightforward enough.

I tow a caravan with an Alko stabiliser fitted and with using the proper Alko tow ball, there is sufficient clearance from the spare wheel carrier which i didnt have on my last 02 RAV.

Also, the 2.2 tows superb, well geared and quiet. So far so good.

My 1998 Freesport has a Witter fixed tow bar and a 235 tyre on the back.

Towed our trailer tent to Kent on saturday with no problems.

Perhaps my earlier model is different to the later ones.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies - apologies for not getting back sooner. I'll probably go for a detachable (already have the Alko towball) Not sure when I'll make the change as the jump up in prices from a 4.2 to the 4.3 is quite a bit (well for me anyway). Perhaps I'll just buy another year's warranty and try in a years time.....

BTW - I had the engine go into limp mode last week on my way back from Suffolk (towing the van at the time) Thanks to all your posts I was able to pull over start again and get home. Engine light stayed on all the way home but engined seemed to run fine although possibly fuel consumption was up a bit. Today the light went out just as I was off to Mr T to get the codes read. Mr T tells me that if the fault is only minor the engine management light resets itself after 3 starts of the engine. Reading other excellent posts on here I've decided it's the cheap Morrisons diesel I used for 2 fill ups whilst away. Have bought some injector cleaner and put £10 of Shell in to see what happens..... Thanks again Rich