Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Info On Different Engines

forevered

a friend of mine is thinking of buying an auris,and wants a automatic,and asked me if there was such a car.

wasnt sure what to say, so ive a few questions for you guys.

the mmt transmision,is it full automatic or semi,andif so how does it operate ?

is the 1.33 engine the only stop start engine available ?

the valematic engine is it a manual with a 6 speed box ?

and finally does the valvematic engine replace the vvti dual ?

im sure one of you guys knows the answer to all my questions ?

Both the 1.33 and 1.6 valvematic are dual vvti engines and both come with a six speed gearbox. The 1.33 is the only Auris with stop/start.

a friend of mine is thinking of buying an auris,and wants a automatic,and asked me if there was such a car.

wasnt sure what to say, so ive a few questions for you guys.

the mmt transmision,is it full automatic or semi,andif so how does it operate ?

is the 1.33 engine the only stop start engine available ?

the valematic engine is it a manual with a 6 speed box ?

and finally does the valvematic engine replace the vvti dual ?

im sure one of you guys knows the answer to all my questions ?

The 1.33 is the only one with stop/start and has a 6 speed gearbox too, I just took it for a run of approx 120 miles being stuck in bad traffic jams on the motorway and some inner city driving and some uphills on the motorway section... and got 50.9mpg as an average which i was VERY happy with being that its a petrol... i also never heard the engine once at cruising speed

the mmt is the semi automatic isnt it ? ,

how does that drive then ,i dont understand how a semi auto works, does it have a clutch, paddle shift etc ?

and finally why isnt there a full automatic in the range ?

Nobody knows why there is no fully automatic gearbox on auris - it's Mr T's call :) I believe that didn't want to spend to much on R&D and only worked out a small change to the regular gearbox.

The semi-automatic MMT does indeed have a clutch, but it is automated. When you change the gears the clutch is being operated automatically without you knowing that (and probably noticing, but with MMT that is a different story).

I believe that even more appropriate name for this gearbox would be a "manual with automatic clutch" or something like that.

Semi-Auto is always a computer controlled clutch-type system.

I must admit I really dislike the Toyota MMT; You will probably have to get a feel for it if you've never driven a similar thing before, although if you tend to drive very smoothly you'll be okay. Harsh acceleration tends to result in jerky gear changes.

I'm hoping they develop something similar to the VW DSG semi-auto gearbox, which are very nice; Almost as seamless as a real auto! ;)

Real auto boxes are very rare now; The problem is the power losses in a torque-converter auto box lowers the mpg and raises the CO2 compared to an equivalent manual/semi, so even tho' there is still demand for real auto boxes, car manufacturers don't want to build them.

Yes, you're right. But please do remember that DSG is a dual-clutch transmission. That is why it is extremely fast, smooth and has good fuel economy. It is a very complex and complicated piece of hardware so the price is hefty as well. And even before you can come up with something like that and charge ana arm and a leg for it, you have to pay millions for reasearch & development.

So my bet is, that as long as the MMT does sell and customers are not utterly outraged by its poor performance, toyota would sell it ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links