Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Surge In Staged Car Crash Scams

Raistlin

30E92081F3D617CF7AD451951AF50.jpg

The number of "crash for cash" scams where drivers stage accidents to claim on insurance is increasing around the country, new figures show.

Typically the racket - in which fraudsters claim thousands on pounds on innocent drivers' insurance - has been carried out in the north west of England.

But parts of London are in the top 10 hot spots for the first time, the latest data shows, with east London in sixth position and north London in ninth.

The Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB) estimates around 30,000 accidents are staged each year, with each claim averaging around £17,000.

It costs insurers about £350 million, adding £44 to the premium of every driver in the country.

Birmingham is the UK's top fraud hot spot, the IFB said, with the other four top places taken by Liverpool, Blackburn, Manchester and Leeds.

Fraudsters usually brake suddenly on a clear road or roundabout to make an innocent motorist drive into the back of their vehicle.

They go on to claim for personal injury, damage to the car and recovery fees.

Sgt Mark Beales, from Greater Manchester Police, warned that criminals targeted their victims carefully.

He told the BBC: "What these fraudsters tend to pick on are people who are single mums or elderly people, people who are less likely to cause them any issues. They also target drivers of commercial vehicles, because drivers tend not to care as much if they're not driving their own vehicle."

Fraudsters usually brake suddenly on a clear road or roundabout to make an innocent motorist drive into the back of their vehicle.

Unquote

I was always taught, and I make it clear to those I'm preparing for the IAM test, ALWAYS leave at least 2 seconds gap between you and the vehicle in front!

In some places this seems excessive, but if the guy in front hits the brakes suddenly, either for a scam or to avoid a child YOU WILL NOT HIT THEM!

These scams, and uninsured drivers together cost me and you around 100 quid a year on our insurance policies, money which could be much better spent.

They apparently often disconnect their brake lights, or use the hand-brake to stop the car suddenly. Or they just slam their car into reverse and smash into you if they're waiting at a roundabout or junction and see you are the only car behind them, and especially if you are the only occupant of the vehicle. It's just your word against theirs, but they'll produce fictitious witnesses to verify their claim. The two second rule therefore just isn't going to work in many cases. I blame insurers for encouraging this whole situation, every ad break on TV or radio has one of these "Have you had an accident?" ads from various insurer owned lawyer firms. It's difficult to see how it's going to be any different in future, as said, we all just have to pay for it.

Sounds like some woman drivers I know,but they consider it normal driving :lol:

Sounds like some woman drivers I know,but they consider it normal driving laugh.gif

You are so brave... blow.gif

Sounds like some woman drivers I know,but they consider it normal driving laugh.gif

:lol: It's okay.They don't venture onto this forum :yahoo:

laugh.gif It's okay.They don't venture onto this forum yahoo.gif

You think... tongue.gifhang.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links